ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

Yes, reaction to getting wind that Kem didn't enjoy the party atmosphere that his hosts provided on his visit was supposedly why.
To me this is yet another example of not putting the time in to understand what makes a recruit tick. A couple of phone calls would have made it pretty obvious that Kem wasn’t a party guy. Yet on his visit he was with guys that were. I think a large issue in our recruiting is not spending enough time getting to know the kids we want to wrestle for Iowa. Gilman said he thought Iowa didn’t want him. How many other recruits have said that Iowa didn’t reach out to the at all? More effort and time needs to put into recruiting. The last two classes speak for themselves. We should have reloaded.

To me this is yet another example of not putting the time in to understand what makes a recruit tick. A couple of phone calls would have made it pretty obvious that Kem wasn’t a party guy. Yet on his visit he was with guys that were. I think a large issue in our recruiting is not spending enough time getting to know the kids we want to wrestle for Iowa. Gilman said he thought Iowa didn’t want him. How many other recruits have said that Iowa didn’t reach out to the at all? More effort and time needs to put into recruiting. The last two classes speak for themselves. We should have reloaded.
That is the way Gable di it.
I remember the coach from Purdue talking to me about how he felt he had a good chance to land Mike Mena. he said the only thing he was worried about was that Gable called Mena the week before Big 10's. So the first time Gable made contact with Mena was 3 weeks before the NCAA tourney in Mena's senior year of high school. We all know that Mena was Hawk.
I had a personal friend that got a visit to Iowa back in Gable's day. He had a very short recruiting visit and trip. He declined the offer, but again, there was very little recruiting. Basically - here we are. Do you want to join us?
I do not know how much of that is what TnT are doing, but it worked for Gable.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and mcpat
That is the way Gable di it.
I remember the coach from Purdue talking to me about how he felt he had a good chance to land Mike Mena. he said the only thing he was worried about was that Gable called Mena the week before Big 10's. So the first time Gable made contact with Mena was 3 weeks before the NCAA tourney in Mena's senior year of high school. We all know that Mena was Hawk.
I had a personal friend that got a visit to Iowa back in Gable's day. He had a very short recruiting visit and trip. He declined the offer, but again, there was very little recruiting. Basically - here we are. Do you want to join us?
I do not know how much of that is what TnT are doing, but it worked for Gable.
I'm sure this approach would work ok for Carl too if he wanted to do that but TnT, Star and Telford are not Gable or Carl.

Reactions: Hawkgma
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT