ADVERTISEMENT

Riggins

Aug 23, 2009
I have been rude and crude about this young man and I apologize for that. This kid has guts and I can fully appreciate what he is doing for the team. Couple weeks ago I didn’t realize he was up weight so much and I was saying some rude things. I take it all back.

My question after watching and analyzing him is his body frame ideal for 184. Can he not put weight on and that’s just his weight or what? He seems like after a year of weights and putting on quality muscle his ability and movement would be perfect for 184. Idk this kid gots heart and I don’t think he would back down from anyone so I would love to see him put on some weight and more strength and make a run at 184. I think he would/could be a dangerous out next year if so.

I have been rude and crude about this young man and I apologize for that. This kid has guts and I can fully appreciate what he is doing for the team. Couple weeks ago I didn’t realize he was up weight so much and I was saying some rude things. I take it all back.

My question after watching and analyzing him is his body frame ideal for 184. Can he not put weight on and that’s just his weight or what? He seems like after a year of weights and putting on quality muscle his ability and movement would be perfect for 184. Idk this kid gots heart and I don’t think he would back down from anyone so I would love to see him put on some weight and more strength and make a run at 184. I think he would/could be a dangerous out next year if so.
I feel for him. I don't think this summer he had any clue that in mid January he would be at 184 and the guy. He has guts and he's a Hawk, so that says a lot about him. He'll take his lumps this year and go give them next year. Not sure he can break into the lineup next year though. Looking like PK is the X factor next year and what they do with the lineup.

Last edited:
I feel for him. I don't think this summer he had any clue that in mid January he would be at 184 and the guy. He has guts and he's a Hawk, so that says a lot about him. He'll take his lumps this year and go give them next year. Not sure he can break into the lineup next year though. Looking like PK is the X factor next year and what they do with the lineup.
Well I’m sure that Riggins will sleep better knowing that you apologize for your shit ass comments made towards him.

Reactions: savage84
I agree he has the height , frame, and genetics to add weight. No reason a good lifting and eating program in the off season can’t have him cutting some to make 184 next year. Nelson never really had the height or frame to be a real 184. If Angelo seems to be making 165 without being to sucked down and weak right now, I don’t know how he expects to be a full size 184 next season, in 8 months, as a true freshman. Riggins would make a perfect transition person at 184 next year. Angelo even said when interviewed before he committed that he planned on being a 174 unless he chose Iowa, who wants him at 184. We already have Gabe, so I think it would be wise for him to redshirt.

He's a 165 wrestling at 184. He's figuring out how to slow things down and get to his positions. Work ethic and attitude are things you can't teach and he has them both. He's a great student as well.
I fully agree and that's why i wanted to start a thread about this young man. I think he deserves to be talked about. I love his frame for 184. Hes not short for 184. HIs length is great. He has the ability to get to the legs and good hips. A beautiful off season for this young man and i bet we see an amazing turnaround.

Well I’m sure that Riggins will sleep better knowing that you apologize for your shit ass comments made towards him.
Computer Working GIF

Yes. He's shown a lot of guts and done what was asked of him. He did his job and saved team points the last two meets against some pretty stiff competition. As said above, this summer I'm pretty sure he had no idea he'd be in this position.
It's hard to gain any good weight during the season. Even on full feed and lifting a lot, the riggors of wrestling practices make it very difficult. It can be done with PEDS, but we certainly don't need that black mark on our team. We're already rife with illegal gamblers ;)
Kudos to him for the work he's doing, and you'll never hear me knock him for going out there and putting in the effort.

I think Kennedy has figured out his equation up a weight. He has spent most of his career scoring a lot of points but it’s tough to do that when you are wrestling guys bigger and stronger. Riggins is trying to survive and not be a liability (giving up pins or techs) in duals and think he is there. It’s tough at this level because these guys are still very athletic and it takes a lot of effort to stop them from scoring much less get on his own offense. Riggins is doing a damn good job for the team.

Most 184 wrestlers are at 200 in the summer. No college wrestler is gaining that weight naturally. He weighed 176 for Nebraska dual. He is a 165 but there is no spot for him at this time.

I really like Riggins. I still think he could have some success in the future at 165. I wonder if we don't see him transfer to UNI. They could use a 165 pounder and he'd be behind Caliendo, Kennedy, and Arnold his entire Hawkeye career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT