ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Crunch

squeezebox

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2018
Headed into the spring, the hawks sit 4-5 ships over. Seems like the most likely spot of attrition would be at RB with 8 currently on ship. It would be nice to see Deacon hit the portal as well. With the returnees, a transfer at LB wouldn't surprise either.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It would be nice to see Deacon hit the portal as well.
Yes ...yes it would.

Then again, he is basically locked in at no worse than backup to a guy highly susceptible to injury at a P5 program. Not sure he's going to find much better opportunity than that in the portal. Would you willingly enter the portal where your best options are most likely Ball State or Akron?

Yes ...yes it would.

Then again, he is basically locked in at no worse than backup to a guy highly susceptible to injury at a P5 program. Not sure he's going to find much better opportunity than that in the portal. Would you willingly enter the portal where your best options are most likely Ball State or Akron?
Honestly, I don't think he will ever see the field again if he transfers. That includes the FCS level.

I see it as if a new coordinator comes in, he will have Cade "if healthy" as # 1, Lianez could move past Hill as #2 and Hill as #3.
New OC = possibly new view as the best chance/possible way to win scenario to me. But we can only wait and see.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am betting that one of Jaz/Kaleb transfer out. Prior to the season I would have put money on that being Leshon. It would be fantastic to grab a QB out of the portal this spring should the right guy pop up. There is zero reason a player like Nelson a former 5* guy from USC ends up at Boise and Iowa gets a shit box like Deacon.

Headed into the spring, the hawks sit 4-5 ships over. Seems like the most likely spot of attrition would be at RB with 8 currently on ship. It would be nice to see Deacon hit the portal as well. With the returnees, a transfer at LB wouldn't surprise either.
I hate to say it, but the state of offensive talent and lack of available scholarships is making me more sympathetic towards Deion's run 'em out of town approach in Boulder. Making Iowa's offense anything other than offensive could be a longer slog than we'd all like, especially if the rest of the offensive staff is maintained.

Also wonder
I hate to say it, but the state of offensive talent and lack of available scholarships is making me more sympathetic towards Deion's run 'em out of town approach in Boulder. Making Iowa's offense anything other than offensive could be a longer slog than we'd all like, especially if the rest of the offensive staff is maintained.
You can make the attempt to Crean all the players you want, it doesn't mean that they will actually leave.

I see it as if a new coordinator comes in, he will have Cade "if healthy" as # 1, Lianez could move past Hill as #2 and Hill as #3.
New OC = possibly new view as the best chance/possible way to win scenario to me. But we can only wait and see.
That's a pretty thin QB room. OL isn't much better. I can't realistically see much of an improvement next season no matter who the OC is.

Yes ...yes it would.

Not sure why anyone would think the staff won't give Lainez every opportunity to be accelerated to #2

Mainly because it appears they wanted no part in him taking the field at all this season.
Oh yeah, I forgot that fans must continue to fight for their ridiculous narratives.

Marco was very raw when Cade went down, so they rolled with the guy who had a little more experience that allowed the game to move a little slower for him. Then, Iowa was winning a lot of games with Deacon, so they continued to roll with him. All very standard.

Marco will no longer be a true freshman next season. He should be quite a bit ahead of where he was this season.

And bumping him up to the #2 next season isn't going to potentially break up a winning dynamic.

Neither of the reasons he didn't play this season will exist next season and keep him from getting every opportunity to win the #2 spot

Come on, your effing up these complainers narrative.

Deacon will take on Petras' role next year. And the year after that if he stays.

Would it surprise you at all at this point if Ferentz told the new OC who to start at QB?

Reactions: Garzatough85
Oh yeah, I forgot that fans must continue to fight for their ridiculous narratives.

Marco was very raw when Cade went down, so they rolled with the guy who had a little more experience that allowed the game to move a little slower for him. Then, Iowa was winning a lot of games with Deacon, so they continued to roll with him. All very standard.

Marco will no longer be a true freshman next season. He should be quite a bit ahead of where he was this season.

And bumping him up to the #2 next season isn't going to potentially break up a winning dynamic.

Neither of the reasons he didn't play this season will exist next season and keep him from getting every opportunity to win the #2 spot
Deacon's experience consisted of entering one game at Wisconsin and spring ball at Iowa, so not like a chasm separated them. I'm also not fighting for any narrative. The offensive coordinator said before the bowl game that he didn't expect Marco to play. That's the information we have to work with. I'm not attacking anything you said.

I am betting that one of Jaz/Kaleb transfer out. Prior to the season I would have put money on that being Leshon. It would be fantastic to grab a QB out of the portal this spring should the right guy pop up. There is zero reason a player like Nelson a former 5* guy from USC ends up at Boise and Iowa gets a shit box like Deacon.
I hope KalebJ stays because when he sees a hole he is very fluid getting to it, getting through it and hitting a home run. Jaz is very good also, he seems to be more of a straight ahead blaster. Leshon and Kaleb splitting most carries would be great with a better run blocking OLine and scheme.

Leshon and Jaz are maybe best at breaking tackles. I would rather have all three stay and maybe another rb who has been on campus leave

There's about three guys we could stand to lose off the top of my head. Make that 4.

Not saying they are bad, I'm saying I don't think we would have much of a drop-off.

Hill
Schulte
Fisher
DeJong

Reactions: shudaddy
That's a pretty thin QB room. OL isn't much better. I can't realistically see much of an improvement next season no matter who the OC is.
So what you're saying is the failure of the offense wasn't exactly all on the Offensive Coordinator but whoever the recruiting coordinator is?

Wouldn't that still hold true (especially in Kirk's mind) if Cade goes down in game 3 next year?

Unless Deacon also goes down to injury - or has an outing like 4 INTs (with a pick 6 thrown in) and/or a couple fumbles unrecovered which leads to a loss - you won't be seeing Lainez next year either, imo.

With KF saying he will compete for #2, I think it sets up for Marco to be able to grab the #2 role which could accelerate to #1. I also think it would be an easy "give" for KF to make the call on #2 and you are starting the season with Cade. Now if the OC decides Hill is the #2 then I would question the OC hire.

Reactions: dadster
Deacon's experience consisted of entering one game at Wisconsin and spring ball at Iowa, so not like a chasm separated them. I'm also not fighting for any narrative. The offensive coordinator said before the bowl game that he didn't expect Marco to play. That's the information we have to work with. I'm not attacking anything you said.
Brian was asked if he expected Marco to play and he answered no. What was he supposed to say? They were going into the game trying to get a win. There really is no explanation needed. He answered it truthfully

Wouldn't that still hold true (especially in Kirk's mind) if Cade goes down in game 3 next year?

Unless Deacon also goes down to injury - or has an outing like 4 INTs (with a pick 6 thrown in) and/or a couple fumbles unrecovered which leads to a loss - you won't be seeing Lainez next year either, imo.
There should be a substantial jump in Lainez' development.

There will be open competition for QB2 in the off-season if not throughout next season and I expect Marco to win the spot

There's about three guys we could stand to lose off the top of my head. Make that 4.

Not saying they are bad, I'm saying I don't think we would have much of a drop-off.

Hill
Schulte
Fisher
DeJong
Of those, only Hill is going to transfer. The others all returned because the staff asked them.

There should be a substantial jump in Lainez' development.

There will be open competition for QB2 in the off-season if not throughout next season and I expect Marco to win the spot
Cade will not be available most of the spring. I have no idea what this QB2 shit is about. If the new OC guarantees Cade the starting job we are doomed

This is also where I disagree with those who think the talent level is at least acceptable but is not being managed properly.
I think it's both.
On offense, the only position of importance that I would call good/solid/above average is TE. RB is OK/average. QB is limited by a multi-injured and injury prone starter with mobility now even more hampered than it already was. Backup is either demonstrably bad through multiple games (Hill) or inexperienced and mismanaged (Lainez). Poor offensive line quality with multiple returnees, many of whom have not improved or gotten worse. WR play is abysmal.
So many things have to improve for the offense to go from one of the all time worst in P5 to just garden variety bad. Is it likely that enough headway can be made on both the player improvement and coaching improvement front to make that kind of change in one off season? I don't think there is significant improvement until there are new personnel at QB, multiple OL starters/backups and WRs.

It wouldn't take much to be a substantial improvement from what we put out there last year.
Poster was saying that "there should be a substantial jump in Lainez development" next year.

That would be a first in many years.

Posted was saying that "there should be a substantial jump in Lainez development" next year.

Pretty much every football player makes a substantial leap in their 2nd year.

We can assume that to be the case with Iowa's QB's. The reason fans haven't seen the development play out in front of them is because they haven't played as true freshman

Poster was saying that "there should be a substantial jump in Lainez development" next year.

Lainez was 2 for 7, so would you suggest that if he starts next year and averages 50% completion rate he took a major jump? Of course not, the only way the statement makes any sense is based on the QB position output as a whole.

Pretty much every football player makes a substantial leap in their 2nd year.

We can assume that to be the case with Iowa's QB's. The reason fans haven't seen the development play out in front of them is because they haven't played as true freshman
So here's the reality of the situation. We really have no idea what Lainez can do today and recent history suggests that it is a lot more likely that he'll transfer out than become a capable QB. He's shown that he's a lot more mobile than Hill, but that's a pretty much it, and a pretty low bar.

Now the hope is that a shakeup in the offensive staff is the key to reversing that trend of abysmal QB recruiting and development. We don't even know who the OC or QB coach will be so any projections of QB player development at this stage are simply guesses.

Lainez was 2 for 7, so would you suggest that if he starts next year and averages 50% completion rate he took a major jump? Of course not, the only way the statement makes any sense is based on the QB position output as a whole.
I'm not suggesting anything, other than we know about as much about Lainez as we do about anybody else who hasn't really played. If it's at Iowa, they've typically transferred out before we did. Projecting any development is impossible.

I'm not suggesting anything, other than we know about as much about Lainez as we do about anybody else who hasn't really played. If it's at Iowa, they've typically transferred out before we did. Projecting any development is impossible.
Again, don't really care about development at this point. I just want a QB that has any form of pocket awareness has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio and completes at or near 60%. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT