ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Crunch

So what you're saying is the failure of the offense wasn't exactly all on the Offensive Coordinator but whoever the recruiting coordinator is?
It's all connected. That said, Labas was added depth but he gone.

Again, don't really care about development at this point. I just want a QB that has any form of pocket awareness has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio and completes at or near 60%. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.
You will if Iowa goes into next year with Lainez and Hill backing up Cade.

So here's the reality of the situation. We really have no idea what Lainez can do today and recent history suggests that it is a lot more likely that he'll transfer out than become a capable QB. He's shown that he's a lot more mobile than Hill, but that's a pretty much it, and a pretty low bar.

Now the hope is that a shakeup in the offensive staff is the key to reversing that trend of abysmal QB recruiting and development. We don't even know who the OC or QB coach will be so any projections of QB player development at this stage are simply guesses.
Lainez was a deer in headlights vs Tennessee. But that's pretty much the case with most backup QB's that are thrust into the middle of a game. The game will slow down for him and he will look much better.

You have to remember that Labas was getting practice snaps before Lainez for most of the season. So Lainez is very raw and that won't last forever.

I don't see any reason to give up on Marco. It's a good point that a new system will put a bump in his developmental road. But if the offense is a better operation overall, it will give more room and more likelihood for growth in the end.

Again, it's plenty reasonable to expect improvement from any player in year 2, regardless of position and system changes. People grow and become better at their crafts as they practice

Lainez was a deer in headlights vs Tennessee. But that's pretty much the case with most backup QB's that are thrust into the middle of a game. The game will slow down for him and he will look much better.

You have to remember that Labas was getting practice snaps before Lainez for most of the season. So Lainez is very raw and that won't last forever.

I don't see any reason to give up on Marco. It's a good point that a new system will put a bump in his developmental road. But if the offense is a better operation overall, it will give more room and more likelihood for growth in the end.

Again, it's plenty reasonable to expect improvement from any player in year 2, regardless of position and system changes. People grow and become better at their crafts as they practice
I'm not giving up on anyone. Ok, check that. I'm kinda done with Hill. With that said, it hasn't been reasonable to expect substantial QB development at Iowa over the last 7 years. Whether they are recruiting misses (likely) or a lack of coaching (also likely) Iowa started transfer Hill this year because the other transfer got hurt and their efforts to develop any through the traditional route have been abject failures. That needs to change.

Brian was asked if he expected Marco to play and he answered no. What was he supposed to say? They were going into the game trying to get a win. There really is no explanation needed. He answered it truthfully

Going into the UTenn game, KF and BF should have known their effed up offense was heading for another goose egg with their BAU approach. Any sane OC/Head coach would have seen that sticking with Hill was what got BF fired and already moved to plan B.

You do realize that Deacon put up zero points, fumbled near the endzone, and threw a Pick-6? How does that compare to deer in headlights?

The first thing KF has to figure is that every instinct and thought he has on offense is wrong, and explore the opposite.

You do realize that Deacon put up zero points, fumbled near the endzone, and threw a Pick-6? How does that compare to deer in headlights?

The first thing KF has to figure is that every instinct and thought he has on offense is wrong, and explore the opposite.

Hill was basically a massive buck standing in the middle of the road that got blinded by the lights and hit by the car.

Lainez might have been blinded as well, but he was more of an agile doe that ran away from the car.

Uhh, no, actually Joe Labas had more experience than Hill when Cade went down and the coaches "didn't even think about" playing him. Lainez was a freshmen, but he was no more raw than Hill who never threw a pass at the college level and never saw an all you can eat buffet he didn't like.

With KF saying he will compete for #2, I think it sets up for Marco to be able to grab the #2 role which could accelerate to #1. I also think it would be an easy "give" for KF to make the call on #2 and you are starting the season with Cade. Now if the OC decides Hill is the #2 then I would question the OC hire.
Marco did not lose his redshirt this year so he has 4 years to play. Resar is coming in this year so those two will be battling it out for awhile.

I hope Cade comes back and has that 2021 type of year with very good completion percentage, putting the passes in the right spot, and the offense really improves.

Uhh, no, actually Joe Labas had more experience than Hill when Cade went down and the coaches "didn't even think about" playing him. Lainez was a freshmen, but he was no more raw than Hill who never threw a pass at the college level and never saw an all you can eat buffet he didn't like.
If it's true that Labas was skipping/late for meetings and KF knew he was smoking pot that automatically eliminated him from being #2. Just the way it is.

As for Hill over Lainez, practice reps and system familiarity matter when talking about experience. It's not just game reps. Regardless of skill, it's largely common for the game to be moving slower for the guy who's been around the game longer. From what I saw, the game was moving faster for Marco vs Tennessee than it ever was for Deacon. In this sense, Marco was more raw

Brian was asked if he expected Marco to play and he answered no. What was he supposed to say? They were going into the game trying to get a win. There really is no explanation needed. He answered it truthfully
Idk maybe say nothing is off the table? Would hurt absolutely no one and possibly introduce a variable for the opposing defense. Also I never asked for an explanation. But he's gone now so hopefully we can find out how much influence Brian actually had.

That's a pretty thin QB room. OL isn't much better. I can't realistically see much of an improvement next season no matter who the OC is.
It is but you dance with who you brought to the party as Hayden said. Trash canning everything and running to the portal is risky in my opinion. An instant fix like that can be the same as watching this last season all over again.

Need to just not put these returning guys on scholarship. Pay them through NIL the cost of a half year of school, in addition to what other NIL money they’d get. It’s what some schools are doing to address it.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Idk maybe say nothing is off the table? Would hurt absolutely no one and possibly introduce a variable for the opposing defense. Also I never asked for an explanation. But he's gone now so hopefully we can find out how much influence Brian actually had.
There was no need for Brian to have to give an explanation to his answer. It was a pretty straightforward situation.

Your suggestion for an answer may be slightly better than what he gave. But there was nothing wrong with the answer he did give. And there was no reason for fans to read into it the way they did as if the staff didn't want Marco playing

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Bumping this thread, according to Kaekert on the Hawkeye of the storm podcast, if Proctor commits Iowa will be at 92 scholarships. Sounds like there is going to need to be a combination of attrition and Creaning to occur.

Hill should be strongly told by the Coaches He will never see the field again and that He should enter the portal, Iowa is at 91 rides and that Guy must not be eating anything but 23 happy meals on the way to NE Arkansas Institute Tech on a Culinary scholarship , He must not be eating one of Iowa's 85 . Just cannot. .

Need to just not put these returning guys on scholarship. Pay them through NIL the cost of a half year of school, in addition to what other NIL money they’d get. It’s what some schools are doing to address it.
In order to use your extra covid year, you must be on scholarship and count against the 85 schollie limit. That is an NCAA rule.

Reactions: kceasthawk
In order to use your extra covid year, you must be on scholarship and count against the 85 schollie limit. That is an NCAA rule.
I can't find anything that lays it out this way. The covid scholarships count toward the 85, unlike the 2021 where they didn't. Throw the link up where it states they have to be on scholarship if you could.

Lainez was 2 for 7, so would you suggest that if he starts next year and averages 50% completion rate he took a major jump? Of course not, the only way the statement makes any sense is based on the QB position output as a whole.
50% completion percentage AND his running ability + sign me up

He’ll, Mr Cement shoes didn’t crack 50%

Reactions: chuck285
Again, don't really care about development at this point. I just want a QB that has any form of pocket awareness has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio and completes at or near 60%. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.
Hopefully bringing in Lester will help with the whole QB situation. Him being a QB himself with a great deal of QB coaching under his belt.

Yes ...yes it would.

Then again, he is basically locked in at no worse than backup to a guy highly susceptible to injury at a P5 program. Not sure he's going to find much better opportunity than that in the portal. Would you willingly enter the portal where your best options are most likely Ball State or Akron?
Fordham might also throw their hat in the ring……..again. 😎

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Fordham might also throw their hat in the ring……..again. 😎
Fordham coach after seeing this past season of Deacon:
95c369a0751026cc5e33d1785a1a28d2.gif

I have never seen that. From all I’ve read that’s incorrect. And even if that’s true, a lot of these returners aren’t using a Covid year for their eligibility, like Jackson, Lachey, Harris (he could come back for Covid year in 2025). There are a lot of articles out there, that say stuff like Harris and Higgins are using their Covid years. Higgins definitely is. But Harris: redshirted in 2019, covid in 2020, freshman in 2021, medical redshirt in 2022, sophomore in 2023. I don’t see how he doesn’t have two more seasons to play if he wants to.

Last edited:
I have never seen that. From all I’ve read that’s incorrect. And even if that’s true, a lot of these returners aren’t using a Covid year for their eligibility, like Jackson, Lachey, Harris (he could come back for Covid year in 2025). There are a lot of articles out there, that say stuff like Harris and Higgins are using their Covid years. Higgins definitely is. But Harris: redshirted in 2019, covid in 2020, freshman in 2021, medical redshirt in 2022, sophomore in 2023. I don’t see how he doesn’t have two more seasons to play if he wants to.
I saw some tweets claiming so, but they could be wrong. Players using covid years that are on scholarship definitely count against the 85. But if players using covid years do not have to be on scholarship, then why are all of the beat writers assuming that all of the returning players are on scholarship? I'm assuming guys like Fisher and DeJong, who are part-time players hoping to earn a bigger role and get a shot at the NFL, would pay their own way for the opportunity. And others could easily have their scholarships covered by NIL. But the beat writers have automatically assumed that they are returning on scholarship. Why?

Harris would have to apply for a medical redshirt and get it approved after this upcoming season. He is using his covid exemption to play this year. If he returns for a seventh season then that will be due to being granted a medical redshirt.

But the beat writers have automatically assumed that they are returning on scholarship. Why?
because they were asked to return. I am making an assumption that this were the case with Schulte, also Hayden Large does not appear to be on scholarship and is returning with his covid year.

If Deacon exits after spring ball, it won't be because of the coaches.
That would be an admission from KF that he made an absolutely horrible decision to bring him in in the first place.

He might be a great guy, but it's got to be embarrassing to him to see his results and think to yourself that you aren't a D-1 football player.

I asked Dochterman if players using their covid years must be on scholarship on Twitter. His response:

"They are on scholarship currently. There are ways for a collective to funnel NIL funding to compensate a player for the full cost of attendance without using up a scholarship. It's possible one or two could use this avenue in the fall but "officially" it cannot happen with football involvement."

S
I asked Dochterman if players using their covid years must be on scholarship on Twitter. His response:

"They are on scholarship currently. There are ways for a collective to funnel NIL funding to compensate a player for the full cost of attendance without using up a scholarship. It's possible one or two could use this avenue in the fall but "officially" it cannot happen with football involvement."
Big ten scholarships, at least for football, are for four years. It’s happening at Nebraska right now. Iowa needs to start thinking outside of the box. It’s better than just cutting guys, which Iowa doesn’t do, supposedly.

Offense should be about aggression. Attack the defense's weakness and make it react to to you. It's been done to Phil's D by certain good coaches and players. Iowa never appears to do this, at least recently. They just do what they do and the opposing D knows what is coming before it happens 90 percent of the time.

Reactions: nu2u
Attack the defense's weakness and make it react to to you. It's been done to Phil's D by certain good coaches and players. Iowa never appears to do this, at least recently. They just do what they do and the opposing D knows what is coming before it happens 90 percent of the time.
AFAIC, this was the main indictment against Brian Ferentz. Totally predictable play calling. He was just too stubborn or dumb to innovate modest changes in order to become less ordinary. Opposing DCs had to be licking their chops during Iowa prep week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT