ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Question

Aug 17, 2007
I have read both the college and high school rules

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WR15.pdf

www.iahsaa.org/wrestling/2012-13 Wrestling Rules Book for IA.pdf

The only requirement I can find to shake hands with your opponent is when instructed to do so by the referee before the start of the match and at the conclusion of the match.

I wanted to confirm, according to the rules, you are not required to shake the opposing coaches hand at the conclusion of the match nor is the team required to line up and shake the opposing teams hand at the conclusion of a dual meet. Is this correct?

There's most certainly no requirement to shake opposing coaches' hands after a match, and I don't think I've ever seen teams line up and shake hands after a dual meet, so there's certainly no such requirement -- unless the rules have been broken after every dual meet I've ever seen, dating back to the mid-70's.

As for wrestlers shaking opposing coaches' hands, some folks oppose it, as it can be interpreted as gloating after a win. I don't mind it, as long as the wrestler does it after every match, win or lose.

There's most certainly no requirement to shake opposing coaches' hands after a match, and I don't think I've ever seen teams line up and shake hands after a dual meet, so there's certainly no such requirement -- unless the rules have been broken after every dual meet I've ever seen, dating back to the mid-70's.

As for wrestlers shaking opposing coaches' hands, some folks oppose it, as it can be interpreted as gloating after a win. I don't mind it, as long as the wrestler does it after every match, win or lose.

? I don't think I've ever been to a dual where the teams didn't shake hands afterwards.

Wow -- impressive brain fart there. I was imagining something more formal like pre-match introductions rather than the traditional and informal post-meet handshakes. Of course that happens after every meet, although I have no idea if it's required by rule.

Yikes. Put me in a home.

What if a coach chooses not to have his team line up for team hand shake with the opposing team after the dual meet?

Since it is not required, would it be considered bad sportsmanship?

What if a coach chooses not to have his team line up for team hand shake with the opposing team after the dual meet?

Since it is not required, would it be considered bad sportsmanship?

I've only seen a coach do this once in all of my years of wrestling, coaching and watching and it happened back in the 80's when two ranked HS teams went at it in a pretty intense meet. It came down to the last match or two and the home team won. As soon as the visiting teams HWT lost and shook hands, his team headed directly to the locker room. No hand shake and they were booed out of the gym. Pretty sure there wasn't any sort of a penalty. Of course, this was a non-conference meet. Pretty sure in today's age, most conferences would have some sort of rule that if one team failed to shake hands there would be some sort of reprimand, unless both coaches and/or the official felt it was best to skip the post meet handshake.

It would be frowned upon if one team just bolted without shaking hands, but it's an interesting question about the rule aspect. No idea if the Big Ten, for example, has any rule about shaking hands after the meet. I doubt it, but if anyone knows, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I do seem to remember that Tom Brands actually didn't hang around for the post-meet handshake after Iowa beat his VT team when they came to Carver about 10 years ago or so. VT was a big underdog, but Tom still wasn't happy with the outcome, and I'm pretty sure he skipped the handshake. Maybe someone else can refute or verify what I seem to be recalling.

I don't remember any other instances of coaches or wrestlers skipping the post-meet handshakes, but it's my impression that it's more a matter of sportsmanship than rule.

Wow -- impressive brain fart there. I was imagining something more formal like pre-match introductions rather than the traditional and informal post-meet handshakes. Of course that happens after every meet, although I have no idea if it's required by rule.

Yikes. Put me in a home.
WDM, I started typing this earlier, and decided not to, but it came back up when I replied again. Weird. But what I initially wrote is "It's probably just me, but this doesn't make sense WDM".

I was wondering if I was missing something, but I figured someone else would let you know, and we'd get the situation straightened out! I don't know if you need to "enter a home", but probably not a bad idea to start looking around! Ha!

Thanks for going easy on me, sloe -- sometimes my capacity for a complete absence of mental function blows me away. This one was a doozy. Sometimes I even surprise myself! Currently looking for a nice convalescence center. . . .

Thanks for going easy on me, sloe -- sometimes my capacity for a complete absence of mental function blows me away. This one was a doozy. Sometimes I even surprise myself! Currently looking for a nice convalescence center. . . .
Alzheimer's can slowly creep up on you. I know.

Watch for the little signs. ;)

If my stellar work in this thread is any indication, overeasy, I'm not sure how "little" the signs are. . . .

Shaking hands after a meet/game is kind of a trite thing. What's the point? It doesn't serve as a mutual display of respect if it's forced. The MLB does it right. Play the game and get off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT