ADVERTISEMENT

Sally Mason retiring!!!

Saw this on another site as well....

Mason - X
Barta -
Ferentz -

Hopefully, the Board of Regents will see the need to find someone who will get behind the athletic department.

http://whotv.com/2015/01/15/university-of-iowa-president-sally-mason-to-announce-retirement/

It's a start. Hopefully, the new President will fire Barta who has led us to be the worst performing athletic department in the B1G. Not to mention the questionable firing of the field hockey coach.

I see this as the first domino falling.

New president fires Barta.

New AD fires Ferentz.

These are interesting times. I'm sure both Barta and Ferentz know change is in the wind. Ferentz better hope that the results improve dramatically next season although I don't see much reason for optimism.

Might explain yesterday's "press conference". The Iowa men's club is losing some support. Or if not support, someone that really didn't care what happened on the West side of the river.

Originally posted by HoustonHawkeye:
Hopefully, the Board of Regents will see the need to find someone who will get behind the athletic department.
If you check BoR funding proposals you will see that their only interest in the University of Iowa is to make it the smallest and weakest of the three state schools so I wouldn't be looking for any help there.

Correct, sir! The University has become stodgy and complacent IMO. We need a president who will actively sell and promote the University....for academics and athletics. A president who realizes success in athletics is good for the entire university.

However.....something tells me the Regents will muck this up. Either they will intentionally hire someone who will de-emphasize athletics....or else will screw it up thru their general incompetence.

I hope...for the sake of my alma mater that I love....they get this right.

Originally posted by thewop:
I nominate Kirk Ferentz as her replacement...
First of all Ferentz doesn't know anything about the academic side of this job which is the most crucial and most important part. Second, have you seen how he prepares the football team? He has become a completely incompetent coach. He's not able to lead anything successful anymore.

As we prepare our hearts and minds for the actual
announcement at noon today, we need to begin
thinking about the post-Sally Mason era.

As we ponder a new presidency at Iowa, there must
be some qualified alumni who could fill this position.
Something similar to the bringing of Jim Harbaugh
back to Michigan.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:

First of all Ferentz doesn't know anything about the academic side of this job which is the most crucial and most important part. Second, have you seen how he prepares the football team? He has become a completely incompetent coach. He's not able to lead anything successful anymore.
Your sarcasm meter is broken and your butthurt levels are very high.

the BOR is headed by a former ISU ADMIN do you really think or cares about Iowa ATH?

spend the money and bring back Coleman from Michigan, at least care for academics and sports, but some of you will hate her as she is very strict about Iowa coaches don't get fired under her watch

Originally posted by Chewback:

If you check BoR funding proposals you will see that their only interest in the University of Iowa is to make it the smallest and weakest of the three state schools so I wouldn't be looking for any help there.
This is actually my biggest fear...that for some reason the Regents want to put the U. of Iowa "in their place" and actively try to promote Iowa State as the premier university in the state for athletics.

Probably irrational fear on my part....but I can't shake the feeling the Regents are going to screw this up.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
So you're arguing he'd be perfect for the job then?

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

back to Michigan.
eGhyMHgyMTI=_o_applause-for-the-waco-kid.jpg

She wasn't a terrible fund raiser but in about every other realm she was pretty bad. She was never a strong supporter of the athletic department and obviously ruffled a bunch of feathers with trying to change the drinking culture.

Sometimes people in power try to do too much and push their own agenda too far into things.

Originally posted by 83Hawk:

This is actually my biggest fear...that for some reason the Regents want to put the U. of Iowa "in their place" and actively try to promote Iowa State as the premier university in the state for athletics.

Probably irrational fear on my part....but I can't shake the feeling the Regents are going to screw this up.
ISU the premier school for athletics in this state? I laughed so hard i almost shit my pants.
laugh.r191677.gif

The BOR president graduated from Iowa and donates millions to Iowa so that is not true. The BOR president does not like how poorly the UI marketing and admissions do with recruiting Iowa kids. They are trying to get UI to start marketing itself to Iowa kids. I have kids in HS. One has been wooed by other universities since sophomore year and not one piece of literature from Iowa. The fall of senior year one postcard about Herky 'wanting you' to attend Iowa. The junior has received nothing from Iowa. This was after Rastetter got on them about not recruiting Iowa kids. Nothing since. I got one email that they are offering legacy scholarships to alumni's children and grandchildren. That is it.

To say the marketing and promotion of The U of I is asleep is an insult to sleep- more like a coma.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

the BOR is headed by a former ISU ADMIN do you really think or cares about Iowa ATH?

spend the money and bring back Coleman from Michigan, at least care for academics and sports, but some of you will hate her as she is very strict about Iowa coaches don't get fired under her watch
Absolutely false. The BOR president graduated from UI and donates millions to UI, including millions to athletics.

Originally posted by FG86:

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Absolutely false. The BOR president graduated from UI and donates millions to UI, including millions to athletics.
That's what I was thinking as well...isn't Bruce R currently head of the BOR? If so, HUGE Hawkeye Athletic supporter...doesn't mean that it automatically translates into a good hire for new President, but his past donations to the Hawkeye football program are well documented.

Originally posted by Pitcher24:

Originally posted by LinusPF:

This is probably why Barta has started looking.
Do you even know that for a fact?
I know it for a fact. The new president will immediately fire him (or agree to mutual split) for no other reason than the contract he awarded KF. I don't care if the coach is Nick Saban -- a contract of that duration and amount shows a gross incompetence in his ability as an administrator.

He gone.

I like Gary, but he does deserved to be fired for the KF contract and to lesser degree, Licks. Also, the U's lawyers and anyone else who signed off on those should also be gone. I know of a prestigious sports management school that uses the KF contract as a what not to do. The 10 years was not nearly as bad as the buyout terms, compare to those of other coaches like Mack Brown, etc.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

back to Michigan.
Is this some new-fangled form of haiku?

One down, two to go.

KF should have stepped down after this year when given the chance.

Results in relation to compensation do matter.

Originally posted by hawkthisway:
One down, two to go.

KF should have stepped down after this year when given the chance.

Results in relation to compensation do matter.
Why? He gets a bonus on Feb. 1 for still being employed at UI and if he gets fired next year, he gets 3/4th of his salary until 2020. Resigning would be stupid unless they gave him some package deal close to what he would get if fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT