ADVERTISEMENT

Sally Mason retiring!!!

Originally posted by MateenCleaves:

Originally posted by Pitcher24:

Originally posted by LinusPF:

This is probably why Barta has started looking.
Do you even know that for a fact?
I know it for a fact. The new president will immediately fire him (or agree to mutual split) for no other reason than the contract he awarded KF. I don't care if the coach is Nick Saban -- a contract of that duration and amount shows a gross incompetence in his ability as an administrator.

He gone.
So,the first order of business for the new President is to fire the Athletic Director? Nah

You all realize it is Iowa City. They will hire someone that would rather support the East African Spotted Flea than the athletic department.

party0003.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

You all realize it is Iowa City. They will hire someone that would rather support the East African Spotted Flea than the athletic department.
Yeah that or they will hire somebody that primarily supports academics/research because U of I is an academics and research institution. I, however, don't see how supporting both education and athletics pursuits have to be at odds with one another.

Originally posted by herkyhawkerton:

Yeah that or they will hire somebody that primarily supports academics/research because U of I is an academics and research institution. I, however, don't see how supporting both education and athletics pursuits have to be at odds with one another.
^^^ This. ^^^

I dunno...maybe it's just me...or maybe the Business Administration/Marketing degree I earned at the University of Iowa taught me all the wrong things, but.....

It seems to me having successful athletic teams are beneficial to the university as a whole. Not just in revenue, but in positive publicity. Academics and athletics are not an either/or thing....you can (and should) strive to excel in both.

Does the husband leave as well? He did not get glowing remarks from my son this fall. David Skorton come home please.

That's The People's Republic Of Iowa City, to you sir. Now go hug your tree with the rest of the populace!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Hopefully Iowa gets someone who realizes that a strong athletic program is a great way to market your university. Unfortunately many in high levels of academia detest athletics and do not see the opportunity you can market using athletics. We just went through 8 years of such an individual.

I'd even be happy with someone who doesn't like but doesn't hate athletics. Kind of the stay out of the way person.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This is the early favorite to win the thread. Nice

This post was edited on 1/15 9:16 PM by thewop

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Does the husband leave as well? He did not get glowing remarks from my son this fall. David Skorton come home please.
I'm not sure, it probably won't be too easy finding any other jobs where you make $50,000+/year as a fund-raiser. This is in addition to his salary as a professor.

He truly is an arrogant POS, so I hope he leaves too.

Thank you Jesus. So have the students had a going away keggers at the presidents house yet?

Originally posted by HerkyHopeful:

I'm not sure, it probably won't be too easy finding any other jobs where you make $50,000+/year as a fund-raiser. This is in addition to his salary as a professor.

He truly is an arrogant POS, so I hope he leaves too.
A lot of "fundraisers" also known as Development Directors make more than 50k a year. Especially if you're good at it. Why do you think so many fundraising organizations pay their Development Directors so much? You pay to retain talent.

I'm not defending the man, just pointing out that if you're good at raising money, you will make more than 50k.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg0OTEyOTE0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3MzcyNA@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Those were the days.

Originally posted by ddelzell:

I see this as the first domino falling.

New president fires Barta.

New AD fires Ferentz.

These are interesting times. I'm sure both Barta and Ferentz know change is in the wind. Ferentz better hope that the results improve dramatically next season although I don't see much reason for optimism.
+1 David Skorton or another Sandy Boyd is what Iowa needs.
cool.r191677.gif

You do realize the BOR did their best to make
Skorton want to leave.

Oh Herkyhopeful, take your $50 k and double it, triple it and quadruple it+ and you'll arrive at the salaries for the seasoned and best development folks at the UIF.... And thats not the top scale in higher Ed, healthcare, or large national NPs.

$50 k is dang near entry level at a place like the UI

Some of you are graduates and really this clueless?

The athletic department and KF are low low priorities. Barta is only judged by the fact that the department is self sustaining. I expect it from the Kirkwood fan base, but sheesh people,

Get a clue. It makes zero .....0....nada difference to the athletic dept who is hired as president.

They have their hands full raising money and dealing with real problems.

Threads like this make me think the U of Chicago got it right.

Hopefully the tailgating gets back to where it used to be, seems like everything changed once she took over. When does the hiring process start? Does anybody know?

Originally posted by JRHawk2003:

The athletic department and KF are low low priorities. Barta is only judged by the fact that the department is self sustaining. I expect it from the Kirkwood fan base, but sheesh people,

Get a clue. It makes zero .....0....nada difference to the athletic dept who is hired as president.

Presidents don't oversee contracts signed? Sally Mason dramatically changed the gameday in Iowa City also, zero is a stretch.

Ummm... I recall HR stating that Iowa was going to make freshman ineligible no matter what the NCAA did,
So maybe a president can have an influence.

Originally posted by cecilB:
Oh Herkyhopeful, take your $50 k and double it, triple it and quadruple it+ and you'll arrive at the salaries for the seasoned and best development folks at the UIF.... And thats not the top scale in higher Ed, healthcare, or large national NPs.

$50 k is dang near entry level at a place like the UI

But that's for people skilled in those areas, not the husband of the university president getting paid while hes already tagging along with his wife
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by IamHawkeye:
You do realize the BOR did their best to make
Skorton want to leave.
Well Gartner mostly, but there's no sign the current bunch is any better than him.

You are so wrong. Hayden Fry threatened to resign over Hunter Rawlings' idea to make freshmen ineligible. Additionally, sports can provide excellent PR and exposure for a school, if done properly.

Here is an excerpt from Fry and Bump's spat with Rawlings:

Hunter Rawlings III probably thought he had a great idea. Maybe he even thought he'd be acclaimed a genius - or, if nothing else, a sensible guy.
Wonder what the University of Iowa president is thinking now that he's been roundly trashed.
Three weeks ago, disturbed by the Norby Walters-Lloyd Bloom trial and the decay of academic standards in college athletics, Rawlings suggested that freshmen athletes be ruled ineligible for competition.

It is not a new idea. Until 1972, that was the norm. Rawlings is of the opinion that maybe the original ban on freshmen wasn't such a bad thing and said he would do everything in his power to bring about a change in the NCAA. If he can't do that, then in his own conference, the Big Ten. And if he can't do that within the next three years, then he'll invoke the policy at Iowa regardless.
pixel.gif

Well, you would have thought the man called for the assassination of Herky the Hawkeye. Boosters went nuts. Athletic Director Bump Elliott publicly disagreed with Rawlings, saying, ''I don't know if he completely thought it out.'' And football coach Hayden Fry said he would consider resigning if Rawlings didn't reconsider. Fry: ''That's like bringing in a music player and saying, 'Don't play the piano for a year.' It doesn't make sense.''

Actually there are only two people in the foundation who quadruple that $50K, the CEO and EVP. 4 additional people are above the triple level.

My daughter said the same.

That's weak. Show proof that Fry threatened to resign. A lot of people proposed freshmen be ineligible to play. That never came close to happening at Iowa. I was a student at that time.

That's weak. Show proof that Fry threatened to resign. A lot of people proposed freshmen be ineligible to play. That never came close to happening at Iowa. I was a student at that time.
Somehow the last paragraph disappeared.

Well, you would have thought the man called for the assassination of Herky the Hawkeye. Boosters went nuts. Athletic Director Bump Elliott publicly disagreed with Rawlings, saying, ''I don't know if he completely thought it out.'' And football coach Hayden Fry said he would consider resigning if Rawlings didn't reconsider. Fry: ''That's like bringing in a music player and saying, 'Don't play the piano for a year.' It doesn't make sense.''

That never got any serious traction. Rawlings was not known as the biggest booster of athletics, but its not like Iowa Sports were hurting because of him.

On a side note, when I graduated at Carver, one of the last guys ripped off his gown on stage and had the full Elvis costume on and shook Rawlings hand. The look on Rawlings face was priceless.

Originally posted by rillo 62:

I know it for a fact. The new president will immediately fire him (or agree to mutual split) for no other reason than the contract he awarded KF. I don't care if the coach is Nick Saban -- a contract of that duration and amount shows a gross incompetence in his ability as an administrator.

He gone.
So,the first order of business for the new President is to fire the Athletic Director? Nah
A president of any major university should always put athletics first and foremost these days because that's where the money comes from. No emphasis on successful athletics......piggy bank dries up, people lose their sh**, and then the firings occur.

True story, for sure.

You think most of the money at Iowa comes from athletics? Seriously? Do you have any comprehension whatsoever how wrong you are?

Per the Des Moines register, revenues at the U of I stand at over 3.5 billion per annum. Sally mason is credited with helping bring in 1.4 billion since the flood damage of 2008. The income derived by the athletic programs is a pittance in comparison. In spite of the financial burden placed upon the school by the 2008 flood, facilities upgrades for athletics still went forward. That is not exactly being non-supportive towards the athletic programs as I would define it.
This post was edited on 1/17 8:31 AM by oldman101

Cid, you are correct. If you want to scan the data how many -double it, triple it and quadruple it+, lots, and iowa isn't on the top end of these as you compare to others, or other NP sectors.

GoHawks, perhaps piling on a bit, but read and re-read the last two poster. Athletics is the 'bucket' on HR, it's a drop (big drop), but a drop none the less in the University budget and mission.

Originally posted by GoHawks2009:
Originally posted by rillo 62:

He gone.
A president of any major university should always put athletics first and foremost these days because that's where the money comes from. No emphasis on successful athletics......piggy bank dries up, people lose their sh**, and then the firings occur.

True story, for sure.
I'm gonna assume that you're joking.

That never got any serious traction. Rawlings was not known as the biggest booster of athletics, but its not like Iowa Sports were hurting because of him.

On a side note, when I graduated at Carver, one of the last guys ripped off his gown on stage and had the full Elvis costume on and shook Rawlings hand. The look on Rawlings face was priceless.
Irrelevant. You stated, "Get a clue. It makes zero .....0....nada difference to the athletic dept who is hired as president."

The fact Rawlings was pushing this and the link posted above about what Fran said about Sally means your original statement is not true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT