ADVERTISEMENT

Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

Buddy said on the Michigan sites that the coaches believed two things.

1. They can win now with average QB play.
2. They couldn't win with the QB's they had on the roster.

They need a game manager. A smart QB that don't make a lot mistakes because turnovers were awful for Michigan last year.

Jake is going to have a good solid year and Harbaugh will be a genius and all the Iowa State and NEbrasaka fans that are on this site daily pretending to be angry little Hawkeye fans will have a blast with it.

Originally posted by ichawks:

Originally posted by BANGBRO:
With him signing with Michigan now that he's been granted his waiver all but a formality, I wanted to sincerely thank the Iowa program and ask you fans for your opinion on his play. It appears that our one glaring weakness from all practice reports has been quarterback. I've heard that he's little more than a game manager, but at this point that's all we need. I'm interested to see what Harbaugh can do with him
I know one thing. Our coaches should be scared *hitless if Jake does some amazing things in Ann Arbor. I can't wait for the drama to unfold this fall.
tongue.r191677.gif
Why should they be scared? He was a good, but not great QB at Iowa. He chose to leave for his last year. If he has a great year at Michigan, good for him. I can't imagine any Iowa fans would give our coaches any grief for that. If they did, that would certainly be hypocritical, as most Hawkeye fans have been clamoring for Beathard. And you know as well as I do that our fans would never behave in a hypocritical manner when it comes to evaluating the coaching staff. Go Hawks!

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

With him signing with Michigan now that he's been granted his waiver all but a formality, I wanted to sincerely thank the Iowa program and ask you fans for your opinion on his play. It appears that our one glaring weakness from all practice reports has been quarterback. I've heard that he's little more than a game manager, but at this point that's all we need. I'm interested to see what Harbaugh can do with him
I know one thing. Our coaches should be scared *hitless if Jake does some amazing things in Ann Arbor. I can't wait for the drama to unfold this fall.
tongue.r191677.gif
Why should they be scared? He was a good, but not great QB at Iowa. He chose to leave for his last year. If he has a great year at Michigan, good for him. I can't imagine any Iowa fans would give our coaches any grief for that. If they did, that would certainly be hypocritical, as most Hawkeye fans have been clamoring for Beathard. And you know as well as I do that our fans would never behave in a hypocritical manner when it comes to evaluating the coaching staff. Go Hawks!
Agree with Ladell-hawk and I seriously doubt the coaches are the least bit anxious about Jake Ruddock's future. I honestly believe that Ferentz would be genuinely happy to see JR succeed at Michigan. Where's the drama? I mean Ruddock has elected to transfer and Beathard is promoted to starting QB. If anything, the endless Ruddock vs. Beathard drama for playing time at Iowa has been settled. There is no QB controversy.

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

LOL. You mean the Ball State game where he engineered two TD drives in the final five minutes and came up some huge throws and couple of big runs on 3rd down. Or the UNI game where he was 31-41 with 250 yards and two TDs. I hate to break this to you, but QB wasn't really the issue last year.
Interesting, tell me again how stellar Jake was in the first 55 minutes of that ball state game. 3 points a 10 point deficit to a terrible team at home. yes, he had two nice drives to finish the game and squeak out a win against a terrible opponent and defense. let's throw a parade.

oh you mean the UNI game where he threw 41 passes and 3 of them were forward passes of 10 yards or more? ie. 38 pass attempts less than 10 yards against an FCS defense? yeah that game, not many highlights there except Derek Willies NFL over the shoulder catch on a terrible overthrown pass to a wide open receiver that no one else in the stadium could have caught? oh yeah, what an awesome performance for Jake.

I especially liked his 2nd half of the ISU game heroics, that was my favorite. 3 points in the 2nd half against one of the worst college football defenses in the country.

yeah, i'm gonna sure miss Jake.

This post was edited on 4/1 10:24 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic

Meh, he struggled with a pretty tame schedule. I guess we'll see how he does in the East division. Lol at Tom Brady comparisons.

Michigan will be getting a good physician, and that's what really matters.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i forgot to mention the 10 point hole he got us in at Pittsburgh at half, that was nice.

If not for CJB Iowa goes 5-7 or 6-6 last year. and the Minnesota game might have been something other than a massive blowout. but golly jee, the coaches ALWAYS know best.

Man were they right about Jake C in 2008. he finished his career at a crappy illinois school 1 for 8, 1 INT and a fumble. but yeah they probably should have stuck with him longer than they did. man o man he could play QB. wee doggy!

This post was edited on 4/1 10:32 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic

Re: Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

If Michigan has a good offensive line and/or good running game, Rudock will have a good year.

He's not great under pressure and doesn't have the biggest arm but he's smart and doesn't typically make big mistakes.

I think he is smart and he is playing for a QB developer. D-E-V-E-L-O-P-E-R The first he will get a chance to really do that is in the fall. I think if Harbaugh had Jake for 2 years you would really be talking about something. Just not enough time for an Average QB to adjust to a new coach and new system.

tongue.r191677.gif
Right... it definitely wouldn't speak to how bad Iowa's offense is or how bad they are at developing quarterbacks if Jake lights it up at Michigan, despite learning a new offensive system, new playbook, and new teammates. What world do you guys live in?

This post was edited on 4/2 9:28 AM by ThatsFootball

Jake is a good qb who was handcuffed by our coaching staff. He doesn't have a strong arm so the deep ball won't be a common but he is accurate and will do really well with a real coach. My question is how could Jake learn the playbook in a few months when it takes CJ and almost every other play maker at Iowa 3 years minimum?

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
Jake is a good qb who was handcuffed by our coaching staff. He doesn't have a strong arm so the deep ball won't be a common but he is accurate and will do really well with a real coach. My question is how could Jake learn the playbook in a few months when it takes CJ and almost every other play maker at Iowa 3 years minimum?
It takes 3 years to learn to throw a 3-yard down-and-out on 3rd down and 6?

If, if if.... If IF's and BUT's were candy and nuts we'd have all had a merry christmas last year. Jake had and has his flaws and those won't get ironed out next year.

If Harbaugh is going to develop a QB for after JR (Okorn or whoever) then that guy needs to get reps THIS year. (We've seen this at Iowa where JR should have gotten reps when JVB was QB and CJ should have gotten more reps last year.) Can't see where Harbaugh would hamstring himself for year 2 by not giving his best option, post JR, a full year to develop to the utmost given that he (Harbaugh) will be given the first year as a honeymoon. Hell, even many here speculate that KF went with CJ b/c he has 2 years left to Jake's one year.

I'll predict that even if JR gets the starting nod this fall, when it becomes apparent that UM won't make the B1G Champ game or major bowl, that JR gets pulled and Harbaugh starts giving more time to those that will return post JR.

tongue.r191677.gif
It would not be hypocritical at all. If he has a great year, it shows that there may be something about our coaching.

Jake seemed like a guy that does not like to take a hit. Whenever, he felt pressure in the pocket he began getting happy feet and dropped his head looking for the dump off pass. I wish him well @ Michigan and hope that he has a tremendous season. Would love to see Iowa and Michigan meet in the championship game. (I can dream, right?)

Jake will probably being playing a tougher schedule at Michigan than he played at Iowa last season and he played barely average in Iowa's weak 2014 schedule. Seeing Michigan play last year, the talent level is not much better than what Iowa had. JH is a good coach but it may take 2-3 yrs. to establish his system plus getting recruits to fit that system. One problem with Jake is that he seem to hold himself back afraid of throwing an interception or making a mistake. I blame Jake's average QB play more on Jake then the coaching. He may prove to be better at Michigan than Iowa but I have my doubts.
This post was edited on 4/2 2:05 PM by grosie#2

All the qbs, the #1 right now is a fresh, and hasn't played a down of college ball. I doubt he'll ever be the starter, but for his sake, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm amazed at the amount of Iowa fans that still think Jake is an average to strong QB. The only reason we think that he has an arm at all is Iowa isn't use to having QBs with strong arms. If JH has a good year and Jake looks like a big time QB Michigan will rule the BIG in the future. Iowa didn't have the greatest talent or a very good OC while Jake was at Iowa but I consider Jake to be the biggest problem we had during that period. He may be smart and a great kid but God he was a terrible QB.

I think Rudock will do well because Harbaugh won't ask him to do much. The OL is deep and talented and there is a stable of talented RBs to hand off to and a very good TE. His job will be to make the correct checks at the line and lean on a good running game and make some plays in play action. Michigan should have an elite defense and very good running game next season so they need a veteran QB that can make smart plays and not make terrible turnovers.

Harbaugh got Alex Smith to do some great things in San Francisco his very first year on the job and I suspect he can do some similar things with Rudock. He won't be an All Conference type QB, but he could be good enough to win 9 or 10 games.

If Mich goes 8-4 with Rudock and Iowa goes 8-4 w/ Beathard, both fan bases will be happy

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:

I'm amazed at the amount of Iowa fans that still think Jake is an average to strong QB. The only reason we think that he has an arm at all is Iowa isn't use to having QBs with strong arms. If JH has a good year and Jake looks like a big time QB Michigan will rule the BIG in the future. Iowa didn't have the greatest talent or a very good OC while Jake was at Iowa but I consider Jake to be the biggest problem we had during that period. He may be smart and a great kid but God he was a terrible QB.
It's hard to say how good Jake really was because his coaches were awful. They kept calling the same God awful plays that never worked and basically gave up downs continually forcing Jake into bad situations. That's not to say Jake didn't make any mistakes, he certainly did. However, his coaches never really put him in a position to succeed. Or maybe they did and Jake is just terrible. I guess we'll find out this year.

Michigan will be getting a (presumed) starting QB who has average physical skills. Smart....but perhaps too cerebral at times. Handicapped by a nauseatingly predictable offensive scheme, he could do better in a more innovative and diversified system where opposing defenses couldn't "scheme" him--and therefore tee off on him--so easily. I could have been a successful D-coordinator if my only opponent was the KF/GD Hawkeyes.

Originally posted by blockm2:
I think Rudock will do well because Harbaugh won't ask him to do much. The OL is deep and talented and there is a stable of talented RBs to hand off to and a very good TE. His job will be to make the correct checks at the line and lean on a good running game and make some plays in play action. Michigan should have an elite defense and very good running game next season so they need a veteran QB that can make smart plays and not make terrible turnovers.

Harbaugh got Alex Smith to do some great things in San Francisco his very first year on the job and I suspect he can do some similar things with Rudock. He won't be an All Conference type QB, but he could be good enough to win 9 or 10 games.
Look for him to have 12 receptions next year.

Last year Jake was consistently inconsistent. A couple examples.... in the first half of the UW game he throws were off, in the second half he looked like the best QB in America. He was dropping in passes into WR receivers hands 40 yards down field. The next week against NU it was just the opposite. Great in the first half but had trouble in the second half. In the second half he had WR with a 5-10 yard separation 30- 40 yards down the field a couple times and badly over threw. He is a heady QB, who is smart and will not take a lot of chances. He can scramble and get out of a tough situation.
This post was edited on 4/8 9:04 AM by aflachawk

+1

By all accounts, great guy.

By fans with eyes, bad qb.

Originally posted by BeardedAxeWound:

+1

"bad QB?? What a load. As I said he was very inconsistent. During stretches, he was very good

Originally posted by BeardedAxeWound:

+1

Someone that invents a screen name that is a childish metaphor for a hairy vagina, really needs to shut up, grow up, and re-evaluate their life choices, not try to infect the rest of the world with their fractious idiocracy and utter disrespect for the female genre.
14 posts? What was your name before? FishTaco?
Where do all you troglodytes come from? Seriously?
When's the next great flood, because it's about time to start over again.

Re: Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

Originally posted by CAHawk93:
My guess is that you will see the same development in Rudock as Alex Smith saw. Similar styles of quarterbacks.

Alex Smith could run and he was a far better QB than Ruddock. Not a lot similar in their style other than not taking a lot of shots downfield, maybe. That is a little disrespectful to the skills of Alex Smith. 631 yd rushing and 32/4 TD to int ratio as a junior.

What more can you say than Rudock was exceptional at times, and unacceptable at other times. I do think it would be hard to be consistent with somebody Breatharding down your neck all the time. Neither of our quarterbacks were remarkable last year because the coaches created an uncertain climate.
I wish Rudock the best, and hope he does well at Michigan.

I just hope Michigan has a reasonable OL, because Iowa's last year that included the Outland Trophy winner wasn't good enough to make Rudock look good consistently. This was a passing game that was going against stacked boxes all of the time due to lack of a downfield passing threat. As mentioned before, he does his best work when he's thrust into a "gotta make plays" situation. He just didn't have enough of those moments to be considered the go to guy. Also, Jake's been beaten up a bit and probably won't take much of a pounding without injury if he's not well protected.

Honestly surprised he's transferring. Understand he wants to play, but it's not like he's going to play beyond college. and might not even win the starting job for the Wolverines. Best of luck to him and hope we meet in the Big Ten title game.

Originally posted by FG86:

tongue.r191677.gif
It would not be hypocritical at all. If he has a great year, it shows that there may be something about our coaching.
What if Jake throws for 2600 yards, 19 TDs, 4 Picks, and completes 63% of his passes and Michigan goes 10-2. What would that say about our coaching staff?

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

Originally posted by FG86:

tongue.r191677.gif
What if Jake throws for 2600 yards, 19 TDs, 4 Picks, and completes 63% of his passes and Michigan goes 10-2. What would that say about our coaching staff?
It wouldn't say anything about the Iowa coaching staff? He could throw 9 TD passes in two high scoring losses and one TD per game in 10 games that were 10-0 or 14-10 wins. It's irrelevant to anything that happened at Iowa.
There are so many factors that go into wins and losses that it can rarely be narrowed down and pinned on one single element like offense, defense, special teams, QB, game plan, turnovers, one play, etc. It's everything combined and all has to be executed.
I'm not picking on you Heatdawg, but playing and coaching this game is way more complicated than all the Madden 'pros' out there think it is. I seriously think that because some people can enter a play or defense into a video game, they think they have it all figured out. Playing a video game of football and actually coaching on at a high level are about as similar as thinking you know something about surgery because you can pull a bone out on the game 'Operation' without making it buzz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT