ADVERTISEMENT

So, who will land TJ Power? He Visited IOWA a 2nd Time (Unofficially) in June

receipts?
Randy Moss Fish GIF

Can't tell if this is a serious question ....because to think that you are the voice of this board is absurd. But if that is indeed the opinion of the board, then yes, it's obviously an outlier compared to the objective rankings.
Voice of the board, no. But this thing is 10+ years gone and people still mention it when discussing UNC. I am not alone. That is a completely seperate conversation to the US News & World Report, and the like, ranking them as an outstanding academic institution. They are. Still, in the minds of college sports fans, the black eye will remain.

I apologize to all for hijacking an important TJ Power thread.

Last edited:
Voice of the board, no. But this thing is 10+ years gone and people still mention it when discussing UNC. I am not alone. That is a completely seperate conversation to the US News & World Report, and the like, ranking them as an outstanding academic institution. They are. Still, in the minds of college sports fans, the black eye will remain.

I apologize to all for hijacking an important TJ Power thread.
Bloomberg_Businessweek_UNC_cover.jpg

Ten years gone? Sort of …I guess. The initial allegations began a dozen years ago. However, the NCAA ruling finding no violations was in 2017 — five years ago.

In any event, you admit UNC is an excellent academic school and better than Iowa even in view of the “scandal.” I see no disagreement.

TJ is announcing tomorrow

With the offer to Fielder I think it is evident Power is going elsewhere, probably fricking Duke. I like Nzeh's athletic ability, but he hasn't scheduled a visit to Iowa so who knows.

I commend Fran for his hard work with Power and Estrella. I give him credit for swinging for the fences. He and the Iowa coaches were always watching these kids. He may have gotten over the hump with a sweet sixteen or elite 8 finish but it wasn't to be. Keep swinging coach.

Yep. TJ paid his own way when he visited Iowa City a 2nd time in June. Too bad 4 blue bloods (Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Duke) then offered in July. Otherwise he's probably a Hawkeye.

I see. Estrella didn’t go blue blood. Too bad he didn’t visit a second time on his own dime. Otherwise, he’s no doubt a Hawkeye.

This recruiting stuff really isn’t that hard:

1) Have recruits visit twice;
2) hope no better programs offer;
3) sign top ten class.

Can somebody send this list to Fran and staff?

Thanks.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I see. Estrella didn’t go blue blood. Too bad he didn’t visit a second time on his own dime. Otherwise, he’s no doubt a Hawkeye.

3) sign top ten class.

Thanks.

Fran did not offer JP Estrella until December. He offered TJ Power over 2 years ago and developed a great relationship with him.

Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
Fran offered JP Estrella in December. He offered TJ Power over 2 years ago.

Apples and oranges.

I see. ok.

1) make offers over two years before recruits’ likely commitment date;
2) have recruits visit twice;
3) hope that no better programs offer;
4) sign top ten class.

Can someone send this revised list to Fran and staff?

Thanks again.

Reactions: EIHCGuy

3) sign top ten class.

Thanks.
I believe #2 is the issue and there's not much McCaffery can do about it. The negative impulse in me is wishing these kids go to the blue bloods and just get lost in shuffle and spend time on the bench whereas they would be starting and starring for us.

I believe #2 is the issue and there's not much McCaffery can do about it. The negative impulse in me is wishing these kids go to the blue bloods and just get lost in shuffle and spend time on the bench whereas they would be starting and starring for us.
Fran is recruiting the right players but sometimes a quick "no" is the best thing that can happen. Wasn't really possible in this case so we'll just have to eat the resources spent over the last two years. Unfortunately, that's one of the risks of being a top level talent evaluator -- you do the blue bloods' job for them....

Landing top players is like advancing in the tourney, the only way to succeed is to keep being in the mix (low seed/final 2 or 3 schools) and eventually things break the right way.

No use fretting. Fran will get good players.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
If they are not good enough and just get "lost on the bench", would they have made a difference for Iowa?

Reactions: amahawk
Fran is recruiting the right players but sometimes a quick "no" is the best thing that can happen. Wasn't really possible in this case so we'll just have to eat the resources spent over the last two years. Unfortunately, that's one of the risks of being a top level talent evaluator -- you do the blue bloods' job for them....

Landing top players is like advancing in the tourney, the only way to succeed is to keep being in the mix (low seed/final 2 or 3 schools) and eventually things break the right way.

No use fretting. Fran will get good players.
Fran has almost a year to get someone else.

Fran does a great job of identifying these guys. Can't force them to come, it's more of an iowa thing than Fran thing. He's doing his part
Yup. Establish enough good relationships with players like this and who knows how it pays off in the portal later.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
so, what you are saying is, Fran is da man? :)
So what is going to happen when you get on campus and there are 3 deep with 5 stars at your position. Only 5 can play at a time and you know they are recruiting 5 stars to come in the following year. I could see a lot of discontent at a program like Duke. Winning heals a lot of wounds but only a few are going to realize their dreams. There will be a lot of excellent players that won't get their minutes. Can't blame his decision but somebody on that roster is going to get lost in the shuffle.

So what is going to happen when you get on campus and there are 3 deep with 5 stars at your position. Only 5 can play at a time and you know they are recruiting 5 stars to come in the following year. I could see a lot of discontent at a program like Duke. Winning heals a lot of wounds but only a few are going to realize their dreams. There will be a lot of excellent players that won't get their minutes. Can't blame his decision but somebody on that roster is going to get lost in the shuffle.

Great points. At Iowa, he would not only be a starter, he would be getting a LOT of minutes. And in Fran's system a huge spotlight would be on HIM. At Duke, the spotlight would be all over the place.

Reactions: Ronman
At that age, no one believes they will be the one lost in the shuffle.

Agreed, though I will say TJ possesses a skill set that is very different than their other 5* wings. Not many of them are known 3 point marksmen, but more slashing wings with post skills. That sort of thing can set him apart if he continues to shoot as well as he's shown to do in AAU.
And let's be honest, if TJ doesn't get the role he wants in year one he can just hit the transfer portal. That's college hoops in 2022 for you.

All Fran can do is put in the work to develop the relationship. You never know when circumstances change or that relationship leads to another relationship. Look at the Ulis family, for example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT