ADVERTISEMENT

So, who will land TJ Power? He Visited IOWA a 2nd Time (Unofficially) in June

If we can't land some of these guys after the success Garza and Keegan have had the last few years we will probably have a rough time ever getting them

I was pretty high when I was at Iowa.
dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: NevadaHawk and LUC8
Lots of predictions on where TJ will land. On Aug 17 Paul Biancardi said it was either Iowa or Virginia. Rivals recently said Duke & Iowa were running 1 and 2.

Interesting story here.

Fran developing All Americans, a National Player of the Year, NBA players & winning a B1G championship are starting to pay some dividends.

This is a story on TJ Power from Rivals from this month.

Some excerpts:

Iowa: “Coach (Fran) McCaffrey and I probably have the longest relationship out of all of the coaches I talk to, so I mean, that’s my guy. He instills a lot of confidence in his players and they play really loose. They have a lot of success recently in the Big Ten and getting guys to the league, so I can kind of have it all there, too.”

Visits: “I don’t (have any visits coming up). I’ve visited all five of those schools, so I might go back out, but I really haven’t planned it out yet. Right now, I don’t really see myself getting back out anywhere, but obviously that can change.”

Decision timeline: “I’m aiming for the end of September right now. I don’t have a date, but I’d definitely say the end of September.”

RIVALS REACTION​

Power’s list makes a ton of sense for all schools involved. He fits the playing style at all five programs and also has key relationships thrown in there along with the hometown angle. Duke and North Carolina have been coming hard after the four-star prospect, and it’ll be interesting to see if a Blue Blood can overcome the longer relationships in the end.

I think we will know where we stand a week from this Saturday.

If Power takes a 2nd official visit to Iowa for the ISU game then I'd feel really good with our chances.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I think we will know where we stand a week from this Saturday.

If Power takes a 2nd official visit to Iowa for the ISU game then I'd feel really good with our chances.

what are the odds he makes another visit to Iowa City do you think?

When it comes to the other contenders, I have not seen any news of TJ making plans for second visits to any other school.

We are right there for TJ Power. This is a story from Rivals from this month.

Some excerpts:

Nobody has a firm grasp on where T.J. Power is headed as things stand. In fact, we here at Rivals don’t yet have the intel to feel confident making a FutureCast as Power himself seems to be sorting out the pecking order in his head.

Nevertheless, the buzz around Power’s impending decision is growing, so why not attempt to sort through the noise, based on logic, whispers and vibes?

It may be a race too close to call, but it’s certainly not too close to analyze.

Below, we rank Power’s FINAL 5 schools in order of their likelihood to land his pledge.

1. DUKE

Duke tops this list for a couple different reasons. First, Power’s reaction to the offer brought on a break from his usually even-keel demeanor. The four-star forward is normally reserved and measured when discussing his recruitment but called the moment “surreal” before diving into how he grew up watching Duke play.

His actions support those words, as Power essentially rushed to visit Durham following this year’s Peach Jam. There seems to be a sense of urgency when it comes to his relationship with the program, which is oftentimes an indicator.

Add in the fact that new head coach Jon Scheyer and company haven’t made a habit of missing on priority targets since taking over the program, and the Blue Devils seem like a decent enough bet to win out.

2. IOWA

There’s something to be said about Iowa’s ability to survive the onslaught of blueblood interest that took hold of Power’s recruitment this summer. He visited campus back in October and has stayed in close contact with the staff since.

In a recent interview with Rivals’ Travis Graf, Power made sure to point out the fact that his relationship with Fran McCafffey was older and stronger than his bond with the other coaches recruiting him. Even in the era of NIL, relationships matter. The rapport the Hawkeyes staff has built with the 6-foot-10 forward makes Iowa a serious contender.

3. NORTH CAROLINA

4. VIRGINIA

5. BOSTON COLLEGE

The FULL Story:

Reactions: perryhawk
Don't forget that TJ Power is a southpaw pitcher with an 87-mph fastball and 3 other pitches in his arsenal.

In this article, TJ stated his priorities when it comes to picking a school are fit and the ability to play baseball.

Rick Heller, come on down.

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
what are the odds he makes another visit to Iowa City do you think?

When it comes to the other contenders, I have not seen any news of TJ making plans for second visits to any other school.

So hard to tell because he's very quiet and there is little news out there.

Jelly and Dasonte Bowen are the aces in the hole as they played together 1 year at Prep school and Dasonte and TJ are both from the Boston area and have known each other for years.

Hoping this one we can finally win? But seeing other offers going out??? (clearly they've been told by JP that's he's going to TN and likely the new offer to Drew Fielder?)

Reactions: Franisdaman
So hard to tell because he's very quiet and there is little news out there.

Jelly and Dasonte Bowen are the aces in the hole as they played together 1 year at Prep school and Dasonte and TJ are both from the Boston area and have known each other for years.

Hoping this one we can finally win? But seeing other offers going out??? (clearly they've been told by JP that's he's going to TN and likely the new offer to Drew Fielder?)

Fran also made the recent offer to Kachi Nzeh

Well, bleep. This is a story from yesterday. Jamie Shaw thinks Duke and Virginia are the 2 leaders with UNC #3, Boston College #4 and Iowa coming in last.

As you will read, a decision could come in a couple weeks (by mid September).

Recruitment update on 4-star TJ Power

Jamie Shaw
Aug 31, 2022

July was huge for TJ Power. The 6-foot-7 forward springboarded off a massive 41-point performance for his BABC team in EYBL Kansas City. Power is now the No. 21 player in On3’s 2023 rankings.

Duke, UCLA, Kansas, and North Carolina all offered Power after that July performance. The four-star showed up the following week to Peach Jam with hundreds of coaches and NBA personnel in standing-room-only capacity. Through his seven Peach Jam games, Power averaged 15.0 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game. NBA scouts walked out of the building raving about his feel for the game.

Joe Tipton broke Power’s top five schools in early August; Duke, North Carolina, Iowa, Virginia, and Boston College.

Power’s recruitment

Power took all five of his early official visits, first to Iowa (October 9). Then he visited Virginia (June 6), Iowa (June 10), North Carolina (July 25), and Duke (July 26).

He does not have any senior year official visits and has said that a tentative time frame for commitment is mid-September

In Power’s words

“I’m looking at the academics,” Power told On3. “And then basketball-wise, a place where I can be versatile and be free. I want to have the ability to utilize my size, to get to my spots, and things like that.

“So places that play with a lot of freedom and confidence, then having a good relationship with the coach. I think that is what builds confidence. So I would say the big things for me are academics, play style, and relationship with the coach. And then I would throw in player development. That is big for me as well.”

Thoughts and intel

This one has been a tricky one to read because TJ Power’s recruitment took a huge jump, and then things went quiet. Prior to the July blow-up, it was safe to call Virginia the leader.

However, Duke and North Carolina put a wrench in the Cavalier’s plans. Power visited both programs within two weeks of the offer. He has family in the Raleigh-Durham area, family who attended North Carolina, and he visited each school on back-to-back days.

Power has been very candid he grew up a fan of Duke and Virginia. The core values and Tony Bennett and the Virginia player development at his position are big for Power. Power described receiving the Duke offer as a “surreal moment.”

The four-star sees the positional fit at Duke, and he spoke highly of the culture of the program.

North Carolina, I think, is in the mix but maybe a bit behind the leader as of pressing publish. Brady Manek’s tournament run opened his eyes, and the history of the Tar Heel program, in his words, is as good as any in the country.

Right now, this one feels like Duke and Virginia are slightly ahead of North Carolina; however, this one is not over. The longer things plays out, the further away he gets from the Virginia visit. North Carolina is sitting right there.

Power’s family went to Boston College, and they are the local program. Iowa was his first offer and visit. Those two, I believe, are four and five on this list.

He has mentioned a mid-September commitment date. He has not set up any more visits. We will see if the commitment date holds true.

Power’s scouting report

TJ Power has a toughness about him. At 6-foot-8, that is one of the first things you notice in his game. As the game progresses, you see the full skill set. He is an excellent passer, able to initiate off the rebound or line up across multiple areas on the floor and make plays. The footspeed will be a question, but he understands angles and help-defense. We would like to see Power more aggressively look to score at times, but his ability to fill a stat sheet makes everyone on the floor better. Power is also a baseball pitching prospect.

Last edited:
Everything TJ describes as important to him.......is what Iowa and Fran are. He doesn't mention competing for championships where it sends a clear signal that Duke/NC would be the choice. I don't pretend, and don't think that we will land him, however I doubt we're as far out of it as this guy indicates.

He has visited Iowa twice....

Everything TJ describes as important to him.......is what Iowa and Fran are. He doesn't mention competing for championships where it sends a clear signal that Duke/NC would be the choice. I don't pretend, and don't think that we will land him, however I doubt we're as far out of it as this guy indicates.

I know TJ visited last year for the Penn State football game. I was unaware of a 2nd visit to Iowa City.

I know TJ visited last year for the Penn State football game. I was unaware of a 2nd visit to Iowa City.
I was not aware of it either, but assuming the article is accurate he visited again on June 10th.....we would be the only school that received a 2nd official....which is another factor that would seem to indicate we are under serious consideration.

Power’s recruitment​

Power took all five of his early official visits, first to Iowa (October 9). Then he visited Virginia (June 6), Iowa (June 10), North Carolina (July 25), and Duke (July 26).

He does not have any senior year official visits and has said that a tentative time frame for commitment is mid-September

I was not aware of it either, but assuming the article is accurate he visited again on June 10th.....we would be the only school that received a 2nd official....which is another factor that would seem to indicate we are under serious consideration.

Power’s recruitment​

Good catch. Crap, I skimmed over the visits paragraph. This is the first time I have seen someone write that TJ visited Iowa for a 2nd time. I am assuming that this apparent June 10 visit was not discussed in the Lounge, either?

Not that I’m aware of…..

Thanks to you, we have breaking news ;)

This is probably a harder decision for him than any of us can imagine. Fran offered him over 2 years ago (Aug 27, 2020); TJ has stated how great of a relationship he has with Fran; he could play baseball at Iowa. But TJ obviously has interest in Virginia, Duke and North Carolina, all programs that have won National Championships.

He specifically mentions academics as being of primary importance. Duke, Virginia, and Carolina are all better than Iowa academically.

Reactions: monoman3232
Thanks to you, we have breaking news ;)

This is probably a harder decision for him than any of us can imagine. Fran offered him over 2 years ago (Aug 27, 2020); TJ has stated how great of a relationship he has with Fran; he could play baseball at Iowa. But TJ obviously has interest in Virginia, Duke and North Carolina, all programs that have won National Championships.
The rivals visit date-board only lists the October visit.....maybe the article is wrong? Maybe not...

He specifically mentions academics as being of primary importance. Duke, Virginia, and Carolina are all better than Iowa academically.
My understanding (don't claim expertise) is that might be generally true in the overall rating....but not necessarily as related to a specific program or field of study. I don't know what area he is specifically looking at, but maybe someone does?

A couple of other points.....those differences might not be significant other than on a list that some has compiled. Second, I'm sure that in most instances the representatives of those individual programs at Iowa can point to some very very successful graduates to validate a degree from Iowa.

The rivals visit date-board only lists the October visit.....maybe the article is wrong? Maybe not...

I have a feeling it's right.

The author's bio:

Jamie Shaw is the National Basketball Recruiting Analyst at On3. Shaw joined On3 after serving as a National Recruiting Analyst with Rivals. Prior to Rivals, Shaw was a Senior Writer, covering feature college basketball stories and the NBA Draft for Heat Check College Basketball. He has covered the ins and outs of basketball recruiting for a decade and is one of the most trusted voices in the high school basketball scouting scene. Shaw is a voter for the Naismith Trophy.

Given UNC's recent run in with the NCAA (dodged another one!) regarding athletics and scholastics barely waving at each other, I would hardly toot their horn.

Ok, I literally LOL'd. Thanks.

Also, what do you think of TJ visiting Iowa for a 2nd time (in June)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT