ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Offered $1.25 Million to Wrestle for PSU Next Year

This justification is weird.

1) the only reason that he'd be the only ever 5 time champ is because he's one of the very few to be given 5 opportunities at it. It's dumb imo to speak as if it's a legitimate distinguishable accomplishment. Starocci highlighting that it wouldn't ever be broken just emphasizes how absurdly they handled covid by taking a year away from Lugo's/Vincenzo's class and giving an extra year to Starocci.

2) why would a booster care about that individual achievement to the extent that they'd be willing to spend 7 figures on it? Talk about living vicariously. PSU doesn't need Starocci to win a team title again next year. If you have the level of wealth where you can afford to spend 7 figures for an athlete to compete in a couple of tournaments, you're quite frankly too rich for your own good.

Caitlin Clark single handedly put asses in seats and increased the economic market for women's basketball significantly. There is a significant ROI behind her NIL.

How many people are buying Starocci apparel? How many tickets is he individually driving? NCAA tournament viewership went down last year. Is he doing commercials for Fortune 100 companies?

The reality is it's a few mega rich old men who live vicariously through these wrestlers. That's not solely specific to PSU either, but they have the wealthiest donors by a good margin.
I agree that the opportunity to win 5 is due to typical NCAA mismanagement, but that doesn't change the fact that he will be going for it next year and there will be interest in it beyond just the insular wrestling community, so there will be real NIL marketing/ROI opportunity for him. Not on the scale of Clark, but it will be there for him, too. Whether he actually adds $1.25m of value to whoever is paying him, who knows, but his quest for immortality will be national headlines and will generate some value. It's not just a payment by rich guys to live vicariously through wrestling.

Reactions: kjb32812 and el dub
157 will be either Kasak or Mesenbrink.

I hope they put Facundo in the lineup. He ain't AAing.
It'll be Facundo or Ryder. Ryder can redshirt, so the tie will go to Facundo to let Ryder sit, but based on the results at the U20s, I'd guess there is a pretty good chance Ryder could beat him for the spot. Ryder just blueshirted this year, and the last three elite recruits who spent their senior year in HS at M2/NLWC were Nick Lee, Levi Haines, and Tyler Kasak, and all three were high AAs out of the box during their true freshman years the next year.

It'll be Facundo or Ryder. Ryder can redshirt, so the tie will go to Facundo to let Ryder sit, but based on the results at the U20s, I'd guess there is a pretty good chance Ryder could beat him for the spot. Ryder just blueshirted this year, and the last three elite recruits who spent their senior year in HS at M2/NLWC were Nick Lee, Levi Haines, and Tyler Kasak, and all three were high AAs out of the box during their true freshman years the next year.
Not sure how much I fear Ryder either. seems like a Trent Hidlay Lite Beer.

It will be interesting to see if he's as powerful as Trent - because I thought for sure that people would catch up to his underhook and it never happened.

You guys are just jealous. We spend $7-10 Million on wrestling each year and it’s paying dividends. You can keep bitching and moaning but until you pony up money you’re never catching us again. Starocci made about that much last year with NIL deals and a bonus for bringing home another title. Even Truax and Nagao make more in 1 month than you fools do in a year. 86 good reasons every month to wrestle for the best team. Iowa is dead. WEARE

• Love
Reactions: Vic Vaselino
Not sure how much I fear Ryder either. seems like a Trent Hidlay Lite Beer.

It will be interesting to see if he's as powerful as Trent - because I thought for sure that people would catch up to his underhook and it never happened.
We'll see. I'm optimistic about Ryder, but it's hard to be confident about anyone before they've even stepped on the mat for the team even once.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
You guys are just jealous. We spend $7-10 Million on wrestling each year and it’s paying dividends. You can keep bitching and moaning but until you pony up money you’re never catching us again. Starocci made about that much last year with NIL deals and a bonus for bringing home another title. Even Truax and Nagao make more in 1 month than you fools do in a year. 86 good reasons every month to wrestle for the best team. Iowa is dead. WEARE
Got into dad’s liquor cabinet again have we? You were told to lay off the sauce until you were 13.

Remember when a bunch of folks thought NIL was a good idea? 🤦🏻‍♂️
It's doesn't matter if it's a good idea or a bad idea, and for the record I don't like it. But it's the law. And probably impossible to really regulate. This was coming for a long time. It started when I think the IOC allowed for living expenses. Well how much are living expenses? Do you have to live in a van down by the river?

Then before you know it we had pros competing. Look at things like the cost of travel teams? Everyone makes money but the kids, they they can make money and I doubt anyone can reign it in.

Perhaps I remain confused on NIL. It's not just a cash payment to wrestle, correct? Is Carter giving rights to someone to make a few $10,000 t-shirts of him, doing a commercial for some rich guy that sells cars, allowing Karl to tattoo his picture on his head, or doing a commercial for Miller Lite to help pay his Budweiser tab?? https://onwardstate.com/2024/04/01/...right-infringement-over-natty-daddy-nickname/
Yep, in the movie All The Right Moves kids were paid to keep alligators out of the gym.

Wtf, there’s a Blueshirt now?

I don't pretend to understand everything about the new NIL world, but I do know that the rules require the athlete to provide something back as consideration for these bags of money. It can't just be pay for coming to a school or for reaching a certain level of achievement in the sport.

Any idea what the heck these wrestlers in particular do in exchange for this money? Someone like Caitlin Clark is obvious, as she has commercials on national TV. But say Woods, Nagao, and Truax as wrestling examples--what the heck are they doing for six figure contracts? I certainly haven't seen anything locally with Woods, and I work in IC and follow wrestling stuff very closely. I know it's easy to wriggle around these rules, and the NCAA/courts aren't going to evaluate the proper market value of every NIL contract. Just give a talk or endorsement here and there? Social media stuff?

Also wondering how closely the coaches get to outright violations, since the schools themselves are not permitted to offer NIL deals directly to athletes. Does a coach just say here's why we want you to be a part of our athletic program, and by the way, this third party guy can give you some info about NIL options? And then the collective folks find a way for the details to get back to the coach?

I know it's all a facade, but I'm curious about the actual mechanics on the ground if anyone knows. I'm starting to think the proposed rule that just lets the schools make NIL deals directly with athletes is better. The whole game has changed beyond recognition, might as well quit pretending. That said, if the schools were doing it directly, Title IX likely comes into play.
Basically anything goes because policing it is probably impossible and I doubt the NCAA wants to try. They might get sued, lose, and then they lose something folk are working around already.

I specifically recall the defenders of NIL championing for the college athletes claiming they “should get paid for their likeness in video games etc”. The opponents concluded that once pandora’s box was opened the result would be what it is. Collegiate athletes are now free agents. Universities that have a big enough endowment will pay for their services, the others won’t. I think it sucks.
It's changed and it's never going back.

It’s horseshit that anyone has the opportunity to win 5 championships. It’s not a quest it’s the result of the ncaa doing what it always does….make terrible decisions.

Everyone in his class had the opportunity to win 5 championships. He's just the only one that won 4 so far. I do agree that it's a bit of a silly accomplishment, as most don't have an opportunity to match it.

Last edited:
There should not be an opportunity to be a 5 time National Champ, 5 time AA or 5 time Conference Champ.

It's a messed up situation.

While it doesn't seem right that he'll have the opportunity to do something the other 4xers didn't, it wouldn't be fair to him to not have the same opportunity of a 5th year that everyone else has the last 4 years.

Not a huge fan of NIL, but it's likely here to stay so good for him to make all the $ he can.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
I’ve had a source close to the program for many years. I can assure you all, Carter Starocci isn’t getting anything even remotely close to $1 million, let along $1.25. That’s kinda comical. This is wrestling folks, not football, or hoops, or even curling.
And don’t hold your breath on PSU announcements. Another one should drop soon.

If Spencer Lee were going for #5 would some of you be as upset as you are? I get that we're all fanatics, but let's be real here.

I'm not going to just hand him #5 because he's decoded he wants it to happen, but it would be a major accomplishment.

Reactions: Vic Vaselino
Everyone in his class had the opportunity to win 5 championships. He's just the only one that won 4 so far. I do agree that it's a bit of a silly accomplishment, as most don't have an opportunity to match it.
I think it’s pretty clear that the freshman class wasn’t the class that was penalized by the NCAA’s decision. Yet they did benefit. Good for Carter capitalizing on this decision, but just because you like him doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a poor decision that he’s benefiting from.

It's a messed up situation.

While it doesn't seem right that he'll have the opportunity to do something the other 4xers didn't, it wouldn't be fair to him to not have the same opportunity of a 5th year that everyone else has the last 4 years.

Not a huge fan of NIL, but it's likely here to stay so good for him to make all the $ he can.
I don’t see how it’s messed up, it’s just an anomaly due to an overreaction to a virus. He got an extra year like others and he’s capitalizing on the opportunity .

If yiu recall at one time freshmen were ineligible, depriving all of those wrestlers of a chance to win 4. So prior to January of 1972 no freshman could play their first year.

It’s just a rule change and everyone will know the whys as we move forward. My gripe is taking away the championships from the seniors in the 2020/2021 year. Imo it would be better if they had one more year, or both .

I don’t know why there’s so much whining about this. There was the real possibility the season could get cancelled and this was the solution get over it. I do however feel the 2020 seniors should have been given another year considering.
I'm not whining about it. I'm stating my belief/opinion, so get over it.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Especially when lugo got robbed of his
Let's be clear. Although it did suck for Lugo, Kollin Moore was the one that was hosed the most severe. He was a MASSIVE favorite to win it that year. Having taken 3rd, 4th and 2nd coming into his last season, it was finally there for the taking.

Meanwhile, although it sucked for guys like Lugo and Pletcher, they did have losses to Sasso and Lee, respectively. The rest of the top contenders either had already at least won a Title, would do so later on, or were able to take advantage of the "free year" in 2021.....

Reactions: Sandor45
Facundo been Dakes main training partner last 2 years and Dake has said how much better Alex is , you will
See a different version this year , he soundly beat Haines at Trials , I know that’s free, but you’re crazy if you don’t think he will AA

Not crazy at all. he still struggles getting to legs.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Slight correction. Everyone who started and reshirted in 2020 and all those who started and wrestled in 2021 had the opportunity to win 5 championships. Carter redshirted in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT