ADVERTISEMENT

Tea leaves say Teske to PSU

What a slap to the face of ISU, since he was training there consistently. He got to know the coaches and the partners and then chose PSU anyway. That doesn't speak well for the new coaching staff that went all in with him. As I've stated, I wish him the best, but I don't think it's going to turn out as well as it could have for the young man and that's too bad. He could have stayed home and did great things in his home state.

Not really. I don't think most people considered him an Iowa kid since he didn't move here until late in his HS career. In addition, his dad was pretty vocal on message boards about his son long before he ever reached a college decision. Was very "roughrider/father meeks" like. I think more people were turned off by his dad than freddy himself, so the kid made a good villain when facing off against the beloved incoming recruit Kemmerer.

I really don't see how this conflicts with my statement. I simply stated the crowd cheered for MK (the incoming Hawk) and booed Stroker. If Stroker had committed to Iowa, you can bet Iowa fans would have cheered him regardless of his dad. Let's be serious, Montell Marion's dad was a piece of work, probably moreso than Stroker, and Iowa fans loved MM.

I don't think Teske stays at 125. This is all guess work and no one truly knows, but how many guys really hold 125. Mueller was a lot like Teske. He was immature in his body characteristics and was talked about as a career 125 coming out of high school, but look at him now, he just made the jump to 133. Nathan Boston wrestled 113 and 120 as a senior and was another career 125 and now he has made the jump up weights. Matter of fact, most thought he would be too small for college. For every Nico there are 50 guys that pass through the weight and most said, "I'm a 5-year 125" when they were coming out of High School. Nico was very mature as a high school senior. Teske does not appear to be. Time will tell. I also know that Teasdale thinks he is going to be a multi-year 125 and that's a fact. I don't believe it, but that is what he thinks, so someone is going to be wrong or will sit for longer than anticipated or be treated like Jimmy Gulibon and be forced up a weight and watch his career slide backwards. Jimmy was a high all-american, majored Clark in High School and then was forced up a weight in College after his most successful year and we all saw that he was too small and look what happened to his career. The team won, but he slid backwards. His college career never turned out to be what others thought it would or could have been...
nothing you said about Gulibon is untrue, just incomplete and that skews the picture of what actually happened over his career.

I really don't see how this conflicts with my statement. I simply stated the crowd cheered for MK (the incoming Hawk) and booed Stroker. If Stroker had committed to Iowa, you can bet Iowa fans would have cheered him regardless of his dad. Let's be serious, Montell Marion's dad was a piece of work, probably moreso than Stroker, and Iowa fans loved MM.

I didn't. And I don't like Downey either.

You didn't love Montel Marion? Something must be wrong with you, he was awesome.

Nothing wrong with Montell - he was smart, he put up with his father, and nobody turned it on for the nationals like Montell. Plus, he had a hawk tatoo and refused to leave Iowa when the going got tough. I don't understand the people that bash him.

Nothing wrong with Montell - he was smart, he put up with his father, and nobody turned it on for the nationals like Montell. Plus, he had a hawk tatoo and refused to leave Iowa when the going got tough. I don't understand the people that bash him.
Plus, it’s really hard to imagine an Iowa fan that didn’t love his wrestling style. Super tough, gritty wrestler.

I do like how you go from patronizing to condescending from post to post. I am not sure what we would do without your guidance and leadership on how to behave on an Iowa message board. I am eternally grateful to you.
My pleasure. Glad to help and you most certainly are welcome.

Good luck to Teske. Wish we could have made it work in Iowa City, but as man have said, if he's a career 125, that's a trade I'm willing to make.

Would I have rather wanted Teske to go to Oklahoma (which was where he was looking for a long time)? Sure. But looking down the road, we need a true 133. I don't think Teske is that guy. Sure, it stings but it would have stung more if it were a need weight. Overall though, I get PSU. Great program, winning titles. Nifty team pictures and sing alongs. Choosing State over Iowa though? Unacceptable ;)

All of that said, I would have liked him to come because I think he could have been developed into a 33 eventually. Just don't think he wanted to go that route if all of this is true. PSU is getting a good one (again damnit).
uiters re
Also, the last time I looked, voted the no.1 school in the country by campus recruiters re looking for employees . WSJ the source, and yes, that includes the Ivy League. Pretty nice place as well.

Plus, it’s really hard to imagine an Iowa fan that didn’t love his wrestling style. Super tough, gritty wrestler.

Montell had three of my favorite wins as a Hawk. Takedown with one second left to beat Kennedy in the NCAA quarters. Takedown in overtime to beat Maple in the NCAA semis. And the stunning comeback against Alton in his first match back after an injury at PSU. Plus the heart-breaking controversial losses to the Michigan kid at nationals his junior and senior years. A big time wrestler who showed up when it counted. Wish he got a title. Came so damn close.

Montell had three of my favorite wins as a Hawk. Takedown with one second left to beat Kennedy in the NCAA quarters. Takedown in overtime to beat Maple in the NCAA semis. And the stunning comeback against Alton in his first match back after an injury at PSU. Plus the heart-breaking controversial losses to the Michigan kid at nationals his junior and senior years. A big time wrestler who showed up when it counted. Wish he got a title. Came so damn close.

Nice to see Montell back in Carver tonight.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
The only knock I had with Montell is that he seemed to sleepwalk thru the dual season. He had many a close match with guys that weren't in the same stratosphere from a talent standpoint.

But man did he bring it at National's! Had some bad luck there too. Guy had a really nice career for sure, and overcame plenty of obstacles along the way to do so.

In 2012 Montell came within an inch of pulling off the impossible - had to beat Mitchell Port, Boris Novachkov, and Kendric Maple just to reach the finals where he lost to Russell in overtime. Absolutely amazing. When that bracket came out nobody thought that Montell had a prayer.

In 2012 Montell came within an inch of pulling off the impossible - had to beat Mitchell Port, Boris Novachkov, and Kendric Maple just to reach the finals where he lost to Russell in overtime. Absolutely amazing. When that bracket came out nobody thought that Montell had a prayer.[/Q

Yes, that was fun to watch. Also wasn't that the year Montell had the take down to win n the ref blew the call? He had Russell beat..

Reactions: rossel 33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT