ADVERTISEMENT

The Future Of: Iowa Hawkeyes

Mar 18, 2022
Willie released a look at Iowa's future on MatScouts. What does everyone think of his projections, needs and potential targets?

i thought i was fair. this season hinges on Block and Caliendo both getting down effectively.

down the road, with what's on the roster and committed now,i don't remember a time when the projected line up had so much uncertainty.

Thank you for the link. What are your thoughts on the current state of Iowa recruiting? Do you feel like it is going to wrong direction or is it just fans not being patient and expecting to much, I'll hang up and listen.

Thank you for the link. What are your thoughts on the current state of Iowa recruiting? Do you feel like it is going to wrong direction or is it just fans not being patient and expecting to much, I'll hang up and listen.
You should know by now that an honest answer might not be prudent. Don’t expect the company line to be crossed.

Reactions: eb05 and Hawkgma
You should know by now that an honest answer might not be prudent. Don’t expect the company line to be crossed.
I figured Smalls would be the one to cross the company line and give an honest opinion. Its hard to get a gauge on who really knows whats going on in the program and who just makes shit up. ( i know where i am on that list ;) )

I figured Smalls would be the one to cross the company line and give an honest opinion. Its hard to get a gauge on who really knows whats going on in the program and who just makes shit up. ( i know where i am on that list ;) )
Smalls would like to land a recruiter's position somewhere over the rainbow, imo.

Smalls would like to land a recruiter's position somewhere over the rainbow, imo.
iowa doesn't need a recruiting cord.... The recruits want to come to !owa I have been told.

Just following his rankings I am pretty sure it would be a home run Hire for the Hawks but I know we dont like change on our staff!

• Haha
Reactions: eb05
it's difficult to assess what the staff's plan was/is without being in their office.

my biggest gripe is not having a 41 this year but if i'm wrong and Block can make 41 effectively for a year or two i should shut my yapper.

the problem is, they need help at multiple weights in the future and 1) the portal is dead and 2) the class of 2025 isn't very good and what is there is mostly already committed outside of Blaze, Bouzakis, and DeJesus - all of whom I would break the bank for if I were Iowa.

things will get dicey if they don't land them. and then '26 will be year where they HAVE to have a monster class (and there is a lot to pick there).

frankly, outside of 25, 74, and 84 they need help at every other weight.

this is all, of course in the context of the Iowa standard. most teams would feel pretty optimistic about the roster. but there are too many question marks, in my opinion, right now to project perennial podium team in the near future.

it's difficult to assess what the staff's plan was/is without being in their office.

my biggest gripe is not having a 41 this year but if i'm wrong and Block can make 41 effectively for a

You don't like Caliendo at 65?!?

my biggest gripe is not having a 41 this year but if i'm wrong and Block can make 41 effectively for a year or two i should shut my yapper.

the problem is, they need help at multiple weights in the future and 1) the portal is dead and 2) the class of 2025 isn't very good and what is there is mostly already committed outside of Blaze, Bouzakis, and DeJesus - all of whom I would break the bank for if I were Iowa.

things will get dicey if they don't land them. and then '26 will be year where they HAVE to have a monster class (and there is a lot to pick there).

this is all, of course in the context of the Iowa standard. most teams would feel pretty optimistic about the roster. but there are too many question marks, in my opinion, right now to project perennial podium team in the near future.
Im not sure what year you are starting with here but we have Cali for two more years. Also what do you mean by saying the portal is dead”?
I think Block makes 141 this season and will turn heads! If he stays healthy he will be our high AA guy at 149 for the next few after that.
We have Big Ben at 285 and he will be wrestling and making noise in March count on that.
Ayala for two more and Deluca coming in. Gabe at 74 title contender for the next 4 years and Angelo should be also after a RS

We absolutely need a monster Class in 2026 and its in the works, stay tuned!

Im not sure what year you are starting with here but we have Cali for two more years.
I assume you didn't read the article. i'm referring to beyond 2 years. peep the depth chart.
Also what do you mean by saying the portal is dead”?
at this time, there's very few that would check the boxes of 'need' or 'upgrade' for iowa
I think Block makes 141 this season and will turn heads!
i understand. however, i don't want to 'think'; i want to know. i'd feel much better if I had clarity on this.

Reactions: el dub
You don't like Caliendo at 65?!?
well, first things first - i was talking about '26-'27 and beyond.

love Cali. however if he's at 65 it's going to squeeze someone (probably kennedy) out and also mean you have to have a difference maker at 157. Cobe and Rathjen are good but it remains to be seen if they can score significant points at the dance.

I assume you didn't read the article. i'm referring to beyond 2 years. peep the depth chart.

at this time, there's very few that would check the boxes of 'need' or 'upgrade' for iowa

i understand. however, i don't want to 'think'; i want to know. i'd feel much better if I had clarity on this.
Gotcha and yes We all want to Know.

Dreshaun Ross should take priority in the class of 26. He might do a similar thing to Kueter and duel sport but we need to keep homegrown talent in Iowa City.
How high is Dreshaun in P4P or national rankings? Is he on pace to be one of the greatest ever from Iowa? Just comparing his Fresh/Soph Iowa title matches to that of Kueter, it would seem Dreshaun is much further ahead of his competition than Kueter was when he was a Fresh/Soph.

How high is Dreshaun in P4P or national rankings? Is he on pace to be one of the greatest ever from Iowa? Just comparing his Fresh/Soph Iowa title matches to that of Kueter, it would seem Dreshaun is much further ahead of his competition than Kueter was when he was a Fresh/Soph.
It’s tough to know how Kueter will pan out, imo. With football commitment and currently being a “tweener,” Im not sure what to expect.

F it. Hire him

Be careful what you wish for.
An overlooked thing about Cael. While he basically gets any recruit he wants, he can also talk his wrestlers into doing what he wants.
Convincing rby to come back, now beau, convincing Retherford not to take a visit to Iowa, convincing Nolf that bringing in Dake is actually a good thing.
It’s a skill set that I wish Tom had because I bet Cael would have convinced Jesuroga to put off Seal training and convinced Ben to pick wrestling over football.

An overlooked thing about Cael. While he basically gets any recruit he wants, he can also talk his wrestlers into doing what he wants.
Convincing rby to come back, now beau, convincing Retherford not to take a visit to Iowa, convincing Nolf that bringing in Dake is actually a good thing.
It’s a skill set that I wish Tom had because I bet Cael would have convinced Jesuroga to put off Seal training and convinced Ben to pick wrestling over football.
you think Carl asking RBY and Beau to come back (both positives for the wrestler) would be the same as Tom convincing Bk to pass up a chance at millions to wrestle, and Jesuroga to not….serve our country????

I must of missed your sarcasm

Pass up the chance…reading is hard
Maybe be more clear. I still don't know what you're saying.

I'm saying BK isn't going to be a millionaire in the NFL. He'd make more money in wrestling if he maximizes his potential. What are you attempting to say but not very well?

Typically in D1 athletics, you have it figured out if you can hang or not by your first year. If BK thinks he can play football at a high level then he should commit to it.

Maybe be more clear. I still don't know what you're saying.

I'm saying BK isn't going to be a millionaire in the NFL. He'd make more money in wrestling if he maximizes his potential. What are you attempting to say but not very well?
I think Ben believes he will make the NFL. Why the **** else would he be playing. Who the **** cares if a fan of penn state does not believe that. Do you understand that??

you think Carl asking RBY and Beau to come back (both positives for the wrestler) would be the same as Tom convincing Bk to pass up a chance at millions to wrestle, and Jesuroga to not….serve our country????

I must of missed your sarcasm
Absolutely Cael could have convinced Jesuroga. Something on the lines of, “Seals will be there, the training you get here will better prep you for it. Let’s take a year off, do some light training reset and come back rested.”
Morgan McIntosh didn’t join the army until after graduating
Ben “could” make millions in the nfl if he get into the nfl. You can’t win a gold medal in football tho.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I think Ben believes he will make the NFL. Why the **** else would he be playing. Who the **** cares if a fan of penn state does not believe that. Do you understand that??
Well, he could be playing football for the full scholarship.
He could be playing football because he loves the sport.
He could be playing football because it pisses you off.

Any number of reasons really.

Well, he could be playing football for the full scholarship.
He could be playing football because he loves the sport.
He could be playing football because it pisses you off.

Any number of reasons really.
What the **** are you babbling about. I said it would be dumb for the coach to make him choose so why would it piss me off?? I feel like maybe you're real dumb??? Is that it?? He is playing football because he loves it and he believes he has a future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT