ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer is classless

twindman

HR MVP
Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
You are up 15, down on the 1 yard line or so with 4 downs to run out the clock. But noooo, he goes for a TD twice. Kind of poor sportsmanship if you ask me.

Oregon would have done the same thing if they were up by 30. They got some of their own medicine. A bit of a dick move but considering the opponent and all the underdog talk they have been hearing the past 3 weeks I can't say I blame him.

This post was edited on 1/12 9:39 PM by nu2u

You know what. In that position, IMO, you do it for the kids on the team. You know they loved it.

Yeah, in regular season game perhaps a little different ,but on that stage, it is an exclamation point that the kids would have wanted.

This has been known for quite some time.

But, Oregon fans booing a team for "running it up" is hilarious

Originally posted by nu2u:

Oregon would have done the same thing if they were up by 30. They got some of their own medicine. A bit of a dick move but considering the opponent and all the underdog talk they have been hearing the past 3 weeks I can't say I blame him.

This post was edited on 1/12 9:39 PM by nu2u
News flash Oregon State wasn't playing tonight Oregon was.

I would have liked to see them just take a knee, kind of surprised me they went for the score after running after all that time off. I remember when Iowa chose to take a knee against Missouri a few years ago, and it felt good. On the other hand, OSU still was only up two scores. Even with a tiny amount of time left, can't really blame them for putting the game away.

i would have run that in to. Make a statement and make it a 3 score game. Big 10 needs to quit being so effing PC and punch people in the mouth.

Against a team that can score as quickly as Oregon can, you never stop. Especially in the national championship game. Better to be accused of running up the score than to be answer questions about how you could have blown a game up by two touchdowns with less than a minute to go.

Welcome to the reality of modern college football.

It's not a place for nice guys.

Iowa needs a guy like BB if they're going to compete anymore.

Originally posted by BioHawk:
Against a team that can score as quickly as Oregon can, you never stop. Especially in the national championship game. Better to be accused of running up the score than to be answer questions about how you could have blown a game up by two touchdowns with less than a minute to go.
+99999999999999

This is for the national title, its not high school ball. You play to win the game.

How dare someone tries to score in a football game, and a championship one at that?

What the fvck is wrong with some people?

Oregon still had all three time outs left. You take 3 knees and miss or get a fg blocked and guess what, a minute is a lot of time for a team that scored 1 td in 10 seconds. And he wasn't rubbing it in, he was icing the game. Now if he had taken a knee with over 4 minutes left like TCU did then yeah that would have been embarrassing your opponent.
smile.r191677.gif

This !
And Oregon fans bitching about running up the score. You gotta be kidding ! The way I look at it, if you don't want a team to score again, then stop them or STFU whiners. The problem was that OSU physically beat the shit out of Oregon and they were just whipped. I loved it !

I loved it! If you don't want to get scored on then stop it. Don't play football if you can't handle it.

You play to win the game! Love the move and I wish we had a coach with half the balls as Meyer!

My brother and I both commented how we thought it was a classless act. Once OSU saw Oregon wasn't calling their TO's they knew the game was over, take the knee. It wasn't the biggest d*ck move I've seen at the end of the game, but a classy coach wouldn't have done it. Everyone knows I want KF gone, but he's a classy coach and would have taken the knee. It's what I expect out of an SEC coach. I wasn't surprised he did it because I've always thought Meyer is Steve Spurrier Jr.

I also would have taken a knee if I was the Oregon coach on the final possession, or handed the ball off, or put the backup QB in. Mariota was lucky he didn't get rolled into and mess up his knee on the 2nd play. It could have easily happened as the OSU D lineman wanted a sack badly and was going full motor. The game is over the coach shouldn't have jeopardized the NFL career of Mariota.

What sucks is OSU is going to dominate next season in the B!G. QB and RB return and they were a young team this year. Ugh. I can't stand the Buckeyes, so this sucks.

This is competition, the game wasn't over yet, you have to keep playing. taking the foot off the pedal isn't what got osu to the championship game. The B1G got a wake up call tonight, osu is miles ahead of most programs, step up or get stepped on

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:
My brother and I both commented how we thought it was a classless act. Once OSU saw Oregon wasn't calling their TO's they knew the game was over, take the knee. It wasn't the biggest d*ck move I've seen at the end of the game, but a classy coach wouldn't have done it. Everyone knows I want KF gone, but he's a classy coach and would have taken the knee. It's what I expect out of an SEC coach. I wasn't surprised he did it because I've always thought Meyer is Steve Spurrier Jr.

I also would have taken a knee if I was the Oregon coach on the final possession, or handed the ball off, or put the backup QB in. Mariota was lucky he didn't get rolled into and mess up his knee on the 2nd play. It could have easily happened as the OSU D lineman wanted a sack badly and was going full motor. The game is over the coach shouldn't have jeopardized the NFL career of Mariota.

What sucks is OSU is going to dominate next season in the B!G. QB and RB return and they were a young team this year. Ugh. I can't stand the Buckeyes, so this sucks.
While I do not 100% disagree with you on this in general, I do think that when considering the full context of the situation, it was quite alright. It was the Championship Game against a team that can score 3 TDs on 3 plays. Why take any chance at all? If Oregon needs a team to take-a-knee in the NCAA Championship Game, maybe they should re-evaluate their game prep and keep the score closer. They are supposed to be #2 and they need #1 to take a freakin' knee?? Come on. The other reason I'm totally fine with it is the fact that Oregon doesn't ever think twice about running the score up on anyone to make themselves look better in the eyes of the national media who (unfortunately) don't watch their games played on the West Coast. Well, they were watching tonight and tOSU made sure that the national media understood that maybe a 70-17 win by Oregon doesn't really mean that much. I'm sure Ohio State was sick and tired of hearing all about how great Oregon's offense was because they continue to keep their foot on the gas and score an extra 21 points against a poor team.

I dislike tOSU very much; however, I am glad they did this to Oregon. Oregon and Baylor both deserve zero sympathy when on the losing end of these situations. They will both eventually get their comeuppance for pouring it on to so many teams.

Stop whining. It is not Urbans job to stop his offense. The Oregon coach did not seem to take offense. This is big boy football. Are you under the impression Oregon would not have done the same thing? They did it several times this year. You play until the defense stops you.
Originally posted by twindman:
You are up 15, down on the 1 yard line or so with 4 downs to run out the clock. But noooo, he goes for a TD twice. Kind of poor sportsmanship if you ask me.

SHould have ran 98 yds the other way for safety to give Oregon some more points I guess.. Jeebus Krist - several on here bitch about winning and someone goes out to win and you bitch about winning (classless, etc). I wish KF would do that then take a knee for overtime.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

Agree with all of this 100%. Take the knee and show the B1G has some class. Heck you could've take a shot in the press conference after the game with "we proved our point up to then and didn't need to any more" or some prick thing like that. At least if you're going to punch it in put in someone different so they can say they got one too. I really do get the whole "you don't like it, stop it" thinking, but I think it says more if you essentially say "we know we've beaten you, we'll stop now".

I'm in the same boat with KF, but I have always admired that about our program: show class. If it's taking a knee or scoring your TD and just handing the ball to the ref and celebrating with your team rather than acting like you think your in the Soul Train spotlight dance.

Not in this day and age. Bielema would of scored, then on side kicked and scored again, just to make sure.

A couple things. I think class,classy,classless or some form of the word classy is used way too much in sports. My team loses...the other team wasn't classy. They scored too much, classless.

I think Urban is a sleaze, but not because of that. More in line with the "health concerns" when things go bad at Florida, then hand pick a great situation.

Oregon has done that so many times in the past, so I do not feel bad for them. Yes they probably should have taken a knee, but who cares.

Urban is a sleeze ? I hardly think so. I'm tired of our team taking knees. Pussy attitude, Oregon got a taste of their own medicine. Lucky OSU had four turnovers. Would have been 62 or 70 -7. Lol

This post was edited on 1/13 8:24 AM by Sett1997

Would taking a knee be classy? Yes, but that doesn't making trying to score classless.

Hypocrisy is Oregon fans being up set.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

While I do not 100% disagree with you on this in general, I do think that when considering the full context of the situation, it was quite alright. It was the Championship Game against a team that can score 3 TDs on 3 plays. Why take any chance at all? If Oregon needs a team to take-a-knee in the NCAA Championship Game, maybe they should re-evaluate their game prep and keep the score closer. They are supposed to be #2 and they need #1 to take a freakin' knee?? Come on. The other reason I'm totally fine with it is the fact that Oregon doesn't ever think twice about running the score up on anyone to make themselves look better in the eyes of the national media who (unfortunately) don't watch their games played on the West Coast. Well, they were watching tonight and tOSU made sure that the national media understood that maybe a 70-17 win by Oregon doesn't really mean that much. I'm sure Ohio State was sick and tired of hearing all about how great Oregon's offense was because they continue to keep their foot on the gas and score an extra 21 points against a poor team.

I dislike tOSU very much; however, I am glad they did this to Oregon. Oregon and Baylor both deserve zero sympathy when on the losing end of these situations. They will both eventually get their comeuppance for pouring it on to so many teams.
Oregon's capability to score 3 TDs on 3 plays is reason to take a knee. Really, not taking one gave Oregon a chance. Imagine a fumble, 98 yard defensive score, successful onside and one play score. Was that likely? No. Ohhhh, but if somehow OSU lost the game. Doubt we would have heard much from the throw points in Oregon's face crowd. With that said, I have zero problems with the way it ultimately worked out because Oregon got some of their own.

Ohio State ran the same dive play how many times in a row at the end. Its not like they went with a double WR reverse pass to score the late TD. Everyone in the stadium knew Zeke was going to run it right up the middle, stop him if you don't want him to score.

Classless? The morally self-righteous segment of this fan base is just waaay too much. It's football, not golf. And this coming from a fan base who has seen dozens of blown games because we don't finish. Take your classiness and shove it losers. You guys are embarrassing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT