ADVERTISEMENT

Washers and Dryers: Speed Queen?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We have the same basic Kenmore model for a long ass time and are looking at newer units. I have read horror and love stories about Samsung and LG. A guy servicing our dryer today said that if we are looking for new stuff, go with Speed Queen because he almost never gets called to service them, and they are high quality. I looked them up and they are pricy, but seemingly last forever. I turn to the all knowing and mighty HORT collective for your advice on Speed Queen and other candidates we should explore.

We have the same basic Kenmore model for a long ass time and are looking at newer units. I have read horror and love stories about Samsung and LG. A guy servicing our dryer today said that if we are looking for new stuff, go with Speed Queen because he almost never gets called to service them, and they are high quality. I looked them up and they are pricy, but seemingly last forever. I turn to the all knowing and mighty HORT collective for your advice on Speed Queen and other candidates we should explore.
Speed Queen is quality.

Reactions: wausauhawk
If my memory is correct, these are the basic looking, non-HE washers and dryers. I’ve heard good things about them too. The sales person alluded to them as laundromat-quality-esque. Meaning not a lot of bells and whistles, but they are simple and last forever. With any modern washing machine you’re lucky to get 10 years out of them anymore. The Speed Queens should last much longer because of their simplicity.

They also don’t run for very long on their wash cycles because they aren’t HE. They burn through more water because of it, but may use less electricity along the way with their shorter cycle times.

If my memory is correct, these are the basic looking, non-HE washers and dryers. I’ve heard good things about them too. The sales person alluded to them as laundromat-quality-esque. Meaning not a lot of bells and whistles, but they are simple and last forever. With any modern washing machine you’re lucky to get 10 years out of them anymore. The Speed Queens should last much longer because of their simplicity.

They also don’t run for very long on their wash cycles because they aren’t HE. They burn through more water because of it, but may use less electricity along the way with their shorter cycle times.
In doing some reading, they do use a lot of water but I live in Iowa where water is plentiful. Some people complained at how long the wash cycles take, but maybe that varies by model. Looks like Speed Queen are units often used in laundry mats, so that tells you they are built like tanks and should last...

Reactions: Moral
In doing some reading, they do use a lot of water but I live in Iowa where water is plentiful. Some people complained at how long the wash cycles take, but maybe that varies by model. Looks like Speed Queen are units often used in laundry mats, so that tells you they are built like tanks and should last...
I guess length of wash cycle depends upon what you’re used to. Our Maytag runs at almost an hour for a normal cycle. More specialized cycles can run for 90 minutes. The speed queen cycles are supposed to be around 30 minutes normally if my memory is right.

I may be looking at a Speed Queen dryer when the day comes though.

I guess length of wash cycle depends upon what you’re used to. Our Maytag runs at almost an hour for a normal cycle. More specialized cycles can run for 90 minutes. The speed queen cycles are supposed to be around 30 minutes normally if my memory is right.

I may be looking at a Speed Queen dryer when the day comes though.

30 minutes would be awesome. Some of the cycles the lady uses on the Samsung take 2.5 hours.

Reactions: noleclone2
We have a Speed Queen. Oddly enough it came broken, ran loud and odd for a bit, then crapped out. They came and repaired it under warranty, and now it runs like a top. They do use a lot of water, but, as mentioned, we have that in Iowa. For now, anyway.

Reactions: hawkdave007

WOB? Or something else?

Reactions: millah_22
We have the same basic Kenmore model for a long ass time and are looking at newer units. I have read horror and love stories about 👉Samsung 👈 and LG. A guy servicing our dryer today said that if we are looking for new stuff, go with Speed Queen because he almost never gets called to service them, and they are high quality. I looked them up and they are pricy, but seemingly last forever. I turn to the all knowing and mighty HORT collective for your advice on Speed Queen and other candidates we should explore.
I came to cover this.

Moving Right Along GIF by Muppet Wiki

30 minutes would be awesome. Some of the cycles the lady uses on the Samsung take 2.5 hours.
I have had one of the more basic models of Whirlpool/Maytag for nearly 3 years now and it runs about 30-40 min wash, and 1.5 hour dry.

They are expensive, about three times the price of other brands basic models but they are designed and tested to last at least 10,400 cycles, so if you average 8 loads a week that pencils out to about 25 years.

Reactions: JustSayOV and Moral
Do they have less service calls for it because not a lot of people have a speed queen compared to lg and Samsung?

I have no info about it at all but i do find it annoying that nothing is made to last anymore.

If you have tons of space/storage, I feel like you could order a new lg or Samsung and after it’s delivered say something’s wrong with it and they more than likely would send you a whole new machine that you could store away to use when the original craps out. That’s the world we now live in.

I have had one of the more basic models of Whirlpool/Maytag for nearly 3 years now and it runs about 30-40 min wash, and 1.5 hour dry.

Son of a b-word. If we start the bedding in the morning I'm not sure it will be done by the time I'm crashing sometimes.

Yeah, people seem to like LG.
I don't have much data on their washers/dryers, but the compressors in their fridges suck. Talk to any service tech worth a darn and they'll tell you stay away from Samsuck and LG refrigerators.

....don't get me started on Samsuck either. Now that I've received my refund, my service tech told me I should have my service tickets bound like a book to read to my grandkids.

Reactions: Moral
Do they have less service calls for it because not a lot of people have a speed queen compared to lg and Samsung?

I have no info about it at all but i do find it annoying that nothing is made to last anymore.

If you have tons of space/storage, I feel like you could order a new lg or Samsung and after it’s delivered say something’s wrong with it and they more than likely would send you a whole new machine that you could store away to use when the original craps out. That’s the world we now live in.
Usually when they deliver they take the old one with them, but I guess you could try.

For those contemplating Samsuck.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/547373330322971

Note: It's called UNnamed because Samsuck caught wind of the 100K+ member group and complained to FB to shut it down. The owner started a new group.

The above group is mentioned here:

Great reputation, but pretty basic and some would say ugly.

Our LGs are okay. I’m sure we will look more seriously at Speed Queen next though.

How's your dryer vent? That's a ridiculous amount of time for a dryer. A dryer element heats up or it doesn't, they don't run long energy saving cycles like modern washing machines or dishwashers do.

I'm not an appliance repairman by trade, but I work in the rental property business and fix most of our own appliances. I would wager some money your airflow in your venting sucks. You ever check your outside vent discharge on your house? If the lint trap itself isn't causing super long dry times then the screen or the flap on your discharge is the next likely thing. I've had plenty of calls in my life where they thought the dryer wasnt working and it was just the outside vent. The blower wheel in the dryer itself could also be super dirty and cause it to struggle expelling the damp air. Maybe that's normal for your dryer, but that seems crazy.

We’ve had Samsung TVs and washer and dryer without issue. Well, we had to replace heating element in dryer after 8-9 years, but that’s it. No issues on any of them. My folks got LG stove and fridge 6 years ago. Fridge has been serviced once and the oven just died. Cos to fix it is about 60% of the cost for a new one so they are going with new.

Reactions: Tenacious E

Your first question is an excellent one and the first which came to my mind. After further reading, they really are supposed built much better as commercial grade.

How's your dryer vent? That's a ridiculous amount of time for a dryer. A dryer element heats up or it doesn't, they don't run long energy saving cycles like modern washing machines or dishwashers do.

I'm not an appliance repairman by trade, but I work in the rental property business and fix most of our own appliances. I would wager some money your airflow in your venting sucks. You ever check your outside vent discharge on your house? If the lint trap itself isn't causing super long dry times then the screen or the flap on your discharge is the next likely thing. I've had plenty of calls in my life where they thought the dryer wasnt working and it was just the outside vent. The blower wheel in the dryer itself could also be super dirty and cause it to struggle expelling the damp air. Maybe that's normal for your dryer, but that seems crazy.
We also had a situation where it would take hours to dry. We had a completely clogged vent. Not sure how it happened since we are very diligent changing/cleaning the lint tray. But, it happened. If that’s not the case, he and I could be married to the same person because my wife puts so much shit in her loads they take forever to dry.

We bought Speed Queen several years ago. They're great, simple and very well made. Washer is very quiet. Appliance rep we bought them from told us they'll probably be the last units we'll ever buy. Said they easily can last 20+ years with average use. They been made in Wisconsin for 100+ years.

We also had a situation where it would take hours to dry. We had a completely clogged vent. Not sure how it happened since we are very diligent changing/cleaning the lint tray. But, it happened. If that’s not the case, he and I could be married to the same person because my wife puts so much shit in her loads they take forever to dry.
She does like big loads!

My son and his wife bought Speed Queen W/D and the quality is excellent.
Just be sure to check the capacity. You need the bigger sizes and SQ can tend to be smaller.

Usually when they deliver they take the old one with them, but I guess you could try.
Well this is how I got my current refrigerator and I have heard of other similar stories.

I bought my fridge on Facebook marketplace for about 1/3 of what it retails for and it was only a month old.
The people who originally bought it wanted someone to come out and replace the freezer door seal because they said it had a kink in it and would not seal right causing ice to build up.
They sent them a brand new fridge instead of replacing the seal and said they could keep they “damaged” one so they did and sold it for cheap.

I thought I would just replace the seal but after looking at it, it didn’t seal right because the freezer door was a little crooked and didn’t seal correctly along the one side. Easy fix and I got a brand new fridge for dirt cheap

Actually for loads to take that long I'm surprised it didn't shut itself down. Most dryers have limit switches that will trip when it gets too hot if it's not venting out. Same concept as your furnace if there is an airflow issue. Advanced units will give an error code, but simple or older units will just lose power until the switch cools down and closes again.

Reactions: Tenacious E
For those contemplating Samsuck.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/547373330322971

Note: It's called UNnamed because Samsuck caught wind of the 100K+ member group and complained to FB to shut it down. The owner started a new group.

The above group is mentioned here:
Anyone buy an appliance from Costco? They have a 2-year warranty vs just 1 with Home Depot and Lowes and free delivery/haul away. Finally getting rid of my POS Samsuck for a GE Profile.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
We bought Speed Queen several years ago. They're great, simple and very well made. Washer is very quiet. Appliance rep we bought them from told us they'll probably be the last units we'll ever buy. Said they easily can last 20+ years with average use. They been made in Wisconsin for 100+ years.
Appliance rep predicting your death is rough though.

I don't have much data on their washers/dryers, but the compressors in their fridges suck. Talk to any service tech worth a darn and they'll tell you stay away from Samsuck and LG refrigerators.

....don't get me started on Samsuck either. Now that I've received my refund, my service tech told me I should have my service tickets bound like a book to read to my grandkids.

I bought all Samsung kitchen appliances a few years ago and so far so good, although the icemaker definitely sucks. I'm pretty good at maintaining it to keep it working but it's still a terrible design. I'm probably going to splurge on a stand-alone ice maker this year.

I also recently replaced our 15 year old maytag set with a new LG front loader pair. I was going to pick whirlpool but was surprised when I read up on washer/dryers that LG and Samsung are pretty widely considered to be among the best and both were frequently listed in the most reliable categories, unlike their refrigerators.

I bought all Samsung kitchen appliances a few years ago and so far so good, although the icemaker definitely sucks. I'm pretty good at maintaining it to keep it working but it's still a terrible design. I'm probably going to splurge on a stand-alone ice maker this year.
Since 2014, I've had FOURTEEN ice maker repairs across two different Samasuck refrigerators. In 2017 I received a full refund for the first fridge and like an idiot went and bought another one. I just got my second pro-rated refund for the second and ordered a GE with an in-freezer only ice-maker. Never again will I buy Samsuck or a fridge with an in-door ice maker. I will stick to Samsuck's tech stuff like phones and TVs.

My last service tech looked at all my repair invoices and said I should have them bound into a book so I can read the Samsuck Saga to my grandkids. LOL

I also recently replaced our 15 year old maytag set with a new LG front loader pair. I was going to pick whirlpool but was surprised when I read up on washer/dryers that LG and Samsung are pretty widely considered to be among the best and both were frequently listed in the most reliable categories, unlike their refrigerators.
I watched a video last night from an appliance person. He said the worst refrigerators are Samsuck (ice maker and temp issues) and LG (compressor issues). He said they are both tech companies not appliance companies. He did, however, say that LG makes really good washer and dryers (specifically mentioned Whirpool for fridges, not washer/dryer).

I'm on year 11 with my Maytag set and the only repair I've done is some loctite on the stator mount bolt because it kept throwing a UL (unbalanced) code. My old GE fridge lasted 15 years, so I'm going back to them for refrigeration.

Sounds like you made good choices on washer/dryer! 💪 ...fridge is going to be a nightmare for you.

We remodeled our kitchen last year and splurged on an ice maker, as our family goes through a lot of ice. It needs to be separately plumbed and I think have a drain put in. It is awesome, and if it works within your budget, I would heartily endorse. My only caution is that it produces "wet" ice which is soft. I think it is great, but some people think it melts too fast, especially if you are making mixed drinks with it. For those you can use traditional harder colder ice from your refrigerator, I suppose. But, I actually like it because most of the ice goes into big cups of water, as I am trying to stay more hydrated these days.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT