ADVERTISEMENT

Washers and Dryers: Speed Queen?

We just bought a Speed Queen washer/dryer a few weeks ago and are pleased so far.

When we first installed them, the washer kept tripping the GFI in the laundry room. I replaced that GFI with a new one and it hasn't tripped since.

Anyone buy an appliance from Costco? They have a 2-year warranty vs just 1 with Home Depot and Lowes and free delivery/haul away. Finally getting rid of my POS Samsuck for a GE Profile.
The Loud House Animation GIF by Nickelodeon

I've never been so excited for an appliance in my entire life. Finally getting rid of this Samsuck!!!!!!!!!!!

We have the same basic Kenmore model for a long ass time and are looking at newer units. I have read horror and love stories about Samsung and LG. A guy servicing our dryer today said that if we are looking for new stuff, go with Speed Queen because he almost never gets called to service them, and they are high quality. I looked them up and they are pricy, but seemingly last forever. I turn to the all knowing and mighty HORT collective for your advice on Speed Queen and other candidates we should explore.
I'd bet a used SQ unit would still outlast most other brands, new.

For those contemplating Samsuck.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/547373330322971

Note: It's called UNnamed because Samsuck caught wind of the 100K+ member group and complained to FB to shut it down. The owner started a new group.

The above group is mentioned here:
Yeah....I'd heard to avoid those.

Have ancient Kenmore fridge/stove/dishwasher that are all still humming along....but the day is coming that I will need to replace.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
How's your dryer vent? That's a ridiculous amount of time for a dryer. A dryer element heats up or it doesn't, they don't run long energy saving cycles like modern washing machines or dishwashers do.

I'm not an appliance repairman by trade, but I work in the rental property business and fix most of our own appliances. I would wager some money your airflow in your venting sucks. You ever check your outside vent discharge on your house? If the lint trap itself isn't causing super long dry times then the screen or the flap on your discharge is the next likely thing. I've had plenty of calls in my life where they thought the dryer wasnt working and it was just the outside vent. The blower wheel in the dryer itself could also be super dirty and cause it to struggle expelling the damp air. Maybe that's normal for your dryer, but that seems crazy.

Go look up the Youtube vids using a leaf blower to clean out your vents.
Works like magic. I hooked mine up and taped with butyl tape into the duct tubing; used a WEMO plug to remotely turn it on/off from outside the house using my phone app. Noisy as f*** if you run it when you're inside with it.

Ejected a shit-ton of lint that had been built up since before I bought the house. Been squeaky-clean ever since. You can also use that method with a Y inlet pipe and push a rotating wand up the vent lines w/ a cordless drill. But the blower ejects stuff like magic.

Appliance rep predicting your death is rough though.

Car Talk guys answered one lady asking about buying a car that would last long enough she'd never have to buy one, again.

"Well, Alice....usually we tell people like you to go out and buy a Yugo.....and then we shoot you!"

Who do they prefer?

Whirlpool? GE?
They didn't have a preference to either GE or WP, but have recommended both. With GE, I've been told to go with the Profile series, better out of the box warranty. I just made certain my ice maker was in the freezer not the fridge. Bosch is typically recommended as well.

LG and Samsuck are tech companies, not appliance companies. They do have the best bells and whistles, though.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT