ADVERTISEMENT

Water intake per day.

So I've started drinking the recommended intake of water per day.

Approximately 1 gallon.

It's not easy but wow...I feel a lot better.
Nice! I probably drink 1-1.5 gallons a day. It cleans you right out.

I will say, the downside to such a high water intake is pretty much constantly being on the verge of having to pee. It can make the drive between accounts a tad bit uncomfortable for me. Peeing with a full bladder can almost be euphoric sometimes.

So I've started drinking the recommended intake of water per day.

Approximately 1 gallon.

It's not easy but wow...I feel a lot better.
Unimpressed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

I shoot for 100 oz. per day. It averages out. I also take an electrolyte supp most days. always on weight training days, where I drink a lot of water (when lifting).

For those of you saying a gallon a day or even 1.5 or 2 gallons a day - have you actually measured that or are you just sort of guesstimating? Because I’ve actually tried to drink a gallon a day before and tracked it precisely. And unless I’m working outside on a hot day it’s a bit of a challenge to drink more than about 80oz in a day. And that’s with drinking nothing else besides water.

I would check your sugar. If that's good, I would check your electrolytes. You can literally drink yourself to death due to potassium loss.
How much water do you recommend a day?

I have recently thought about drinking more.

So, what would you recommend? I’m 6’6 250 pounds. Yes, I know there’s Google, but that produces a hundred different opinions. IIRC, you’re a doctor of some sort, right?

Reactions: GOHOX69
How much water do you recommend a day?

I have recently thought about drinking more.

So, what would you recommend? I’m 6’6 250 pounds. Yes, I know there’s Google, but that produces a hundred different opinions. IIRC, you’re a doctor of some sort, right?
I think more than a 1000 ml is nuts unless you're competing in a marathon or working construction outside in Dubai. The 8 glasses of water per day is total hogwash. Your brain has multiple thirst centers to tell you how much you need. If you are thirsty drink, if not, not needed. If you have kidney disease or diabetes or both, then talk to your nephrologist. But if I were doing it for myself, north of 1000 ml, aka 1 liter per working day, plus 250 ml for your meals is more than enough.

Tell me more.

Not much to tell. I tried the water thing. It was great the first couple weeks. By maybe 5-6 weeks I just felt bloated and started to hate the water bottle I was dragging around and forcing myself to drink my “daily goal.” I gave it up and just drink as much water as I can now without forcing it. Water is good for you. Don’t force it.

I think more than a 1000 ml is nuts unless you're competing in a marathon or working construction outside in Dubai. The 8 glasses of water per day is total hogwash. Your brain has multiple thirst centers to tell you how much you need. If you are thirsty drink, if not, not needed. If you have kidney disease or diabetes or both, then talk to your nephrologist. But if I were doing it for myself, north of 1000 ml, aka 1 liter per working day, plus 250 ml for your meals is more than enough.
That’s just over 32 oz. That seems rather low, unless you are including other beverages and fruits and Veggies that include liquids and assuming someone is living a rather sedentary lifestyle.

Certainly not saying you are wrong; just seems low to me

Reactions: ThorneStockton
That’s just over 32 oz. That seems rather low, unless you are including other beverages and fruits and Veggies that include liquids and assuming someone is living a rather sedentary lifestyle.

Certainly not saying you are wrong; just seems low to me
My theory, which most now agree with, is to drink water when you feel thirsty. 1 liter above and beyond water you consume at meals is plenty unless you're active or have medical issues. And you're absolutely correct in saying that I'm alluding to having fruits and veggies which have additional water, and a sedentary lifestyle. Besides having dilute piss, I don't get the benefits of guzzling down 2 gallons a day.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
I'm 280 lbs and drink 200 Oz of water a day. No issues for the last 4 years of doing so.

Have a son with kidney disease, his nutritionist recommends 0.5-1 ounce per pound. e.g. 200 lbs = 100-200 ounces daily.

does coffee count?

Any beverage with caffeine will not hydrate. Caffeine is a natural diuretic and dehydrate you faster.

Have a son with kidney disease, his nutritionist recommends 0.5-1 ounce per pound. e.g. 200 lbs = 100-200 ounces daily.

Any beverage with caffeine will not hydrate. Caffeine is a natural diuretic and dehydrate you faster.
It has diuretic effects but still contains lots of water. It's net effect on hydration is positive.

So, that’s true regardless of body weight?

The last physical I had my doctor told me I am pre-diabetic. Does that change how much water I should consume? FTR, I have since cut out soda. I never drink alcohol or beer and am now just drinking coffee, water, and Gatorade.

I would check your sugar. If that's good, I would check your electrolytes. You can literally drink yourself to death due to potassium loss.
What's the proper amount of water to drink per day in your opinion.

I've seen a ton of conflicting information on this.

I drink about a gallon/day and have since my 20's. I can't imagine how bad my joints would be if I didn't.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually the recommendation.

My understanding is that you should use the color of your urine to determine how much to drink. If it's dark than your water intake is too low. If it's clear you actually have too much.

It should be a light yellow.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
What's the proper amount of water to drink per day in your opinion.

I've seen a ton of conflicting information on this.
I've seen anywhere from 1/2 Oz to 1 Oz per lb of body weight. I do the 3/4 Oz method. 1 Oz would be difficult. I get a lot of my water in before noon. I'm sitting at 48 Oz already this am. I'll slow down as the day progresses.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT