ADVERTISEMENT

What a waste of money

When did Iowa hire Syndrome? Why don't we employ some of that awesome power on Saturday?
index.php

• Haha
Reactions: Max_Rebo
https://now.uiowa.edu/news/2023/11/ui-begins-national-search-athletics-director

I wonder how much money is wasted on this “search”. We all know Beth Goetz will be named the permanent replacement, well unless Kirk says no.
Also how can I be a member of that search committee and make some extra money. I like money and making money doing nothing is even better.
It does seem odd should she be named the AD in the next few months, however it's probably standard protocol given the high profile nature of the position.

So you cool if Kirk doesn't perform an official search for his staff now and just hands it to whoever he wants without any interviews. I thought many of you were against stuff like that.
I think a lot more was done when they brought Beth in knowing that she was more then likely taking over for the turd Barta

Where Kirk just brings on a son no questions asked.

LOL. Could you imagine the outrage (mostly fake) on this board and elsewhere if BG were given the permanent position without an official search for a permanent replacement? The hilariously ironic part is that the people clamoring most about a "fake search" for an A.D. had no problem with KF's fake search for an OC in 2017.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
LOL. Could you imagine the outrage (mostly fake) on this board and elsewhere if BG were given the permanent position without an official search for a permanent replacement? The hilariously ironic part is that the people clamoring most about a "fake search" for an A.D. had no problem with KF's fake search for an OC in 2017.
I don't think there was any "fake search". Wasn't he just promoted?

I don't think there was any "fake search". Wasn't he just promoted?
Too lazy to find a link, but I am certain that KF actually spoke at the podium with a straight face and told the media that he did a comprehensive, nationwide search for the best OC candidate, and came to the conclusion that it was Tommy Boy after all. LOL.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I have no problem if they just gave her the position when Barta retired. This interim tag is tiresome and condescending. She seems to be doing a great job and she shouldn't have to cool her heels waiting for us to get our crap in order.

I remember the search that ended up with Bobby Stoops at Oklahoma.

I wonder how much money is wasted on this “search”. We all know Beth Goetz will be named the permanent replacement, well unless Kirk says no.
Also how can I be a member of that search committee and make some extra money. I like money and making money doing nothing is even better.
Wait till Kirk retires and as search committee is formed for a replacement. You probably won’t like who they come up with.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I think a lot more was done when they brought Beth in knowing that she was more then likely taking over for the turd Barta

Where Kirk just brings on a son no questions asked.
You think no questions were asked?
Why do you think Barta was Brian’s boss.

Just because she fired Brian doesn't mean she will be the best candidate.

With that said, I respect the hell out of her for doing what she did.

But I want the best we can get, whoever that will be.
Goetz did what 60+ other P5 athletic directors would - and should - have done. She clearly saw a problem and made a move. It doesn't make her a "genius" or a "savior" - it just means that she's clearly more competent than Barta ever was (who indeed was terrible at his job).

Would Goetz put more pressure on Frankie Mac to make a deeper tournament run, or at the very least force his hand by demanding better results on the defensive end?

Would Goetz put more pressure on Tom B to stop settling for Top 5 finishes on the mats?

So far, I'm cautiously optimistic that Goetz would indeed be a sizable improvement over Barta (not that it's a high hurdle to clear). Making he move that needed to be made certainly is a feather in her cap, but again this is a move any competent athletic director would have made (and probably before 2023 if we're being honest). We like to poke fun of Iowa State and Nebraska, but even ISU's MBB program has accomplished far more than Iowa has over the past 2 decades, and while Nebraska has made bad hire after bad hire after bad hire, they do at least hold the AD accountable and terminate them regularly for sucking. Barta would have gotten the boot at Nebby for sure. Only at Iowa would he have sit pretty for years and years and years without feeling any sort of pressure.

That being said, if Goetz is determined to be the best candidate for the position, fine. Whoever the full-time AD is needs to realize first and foremost that Iowa is in a precarious position. It's not a true powerhouse in the money sports, and it's a small-market program. Starting next year, it's only going to be more difficult to compete in an expanded B1G, and if the leadership is lackluster, then Iowa is going to get left in the dust.

This is the process for nearly any type of upper management job even if they already have someone that will take the spot. I know that it's (at the very least) university policy to run through the normal process regardless.

This is the process for nearly any type of upper management job even if they already have someone that will take the spot. I know that it's (at the very least) university policy to run through the normal process regardless.
Any why? Why waste the money when you and everyone else already knows Beth will get the job. Why pay people to do this “search” why pay the expenses to get potential candidates here and waste all the time for everyone involved.
Talk about a great way for companies to cut cost.

I've been an Iowa sports fan my whole like, and I have no idea what an AD does outside of the things that hit the news - hiring and firing coaches and the occasional screw-up.

I'm also confused as to why an "interim" AD label was necessary, since they had a years notice (at least) when Barta announced his retirement, right? I figured it was a probationary period for BG, but now they are going to do a search? I wonder if she failed the probationary period?

Any why? Why waste the money when you and everyone else already knows Beth will get the job. Why pay people to do this “search” why pay the expenses to get potential candidates here and waste all the time for everyone involved.
Talk about a great way for companies to cut cost.
Just a thought, why not complain to the actual people that control this, the politicians. This is a state of Iowa scenario, not a University of Iowa specific mandate.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Goetz did what 60+ other P5 athletic directors would - and should - have done. She clearly saw a problem and made a move. It doesn't make her a "genius" or a "savior" - it just means that she's clearly more competent than Barta ever was (who indeed was terrible at his job).

Would Goetz put more pressure on Frankie Mac to make a deeper tournament run, or at the very least force his hand by demanding better results on the defensive end?

Would Goetz put more pressure on Tom B to stop settling for Top 5 finishes on the mats?

So far, I'm cautiously optimistic that Goetz would indeed be a sizable improvement over Barta (not that it's a high hurdle to clear). Making he move that needed to be made certainly is a feather in her cap, but again this is a move any competent athletic director would have made (and probably before 2023 if we're being honest). We like to poke fun of Iowa State and Nebraska, but even ISU's MBB program has accomplished far more than Iowa has over the past 2 decades, and while Nebraska has made bad hire after bad hire after bad hire, they do at least hold the AD accountable and terminate them regularly for sucking. Barta would have gotten the boot at Nebby for sure. Only at Iowa would he have sit pretty for years and years and years without feeling any sort of pressure.

That being said, if Goetz is determined to be the best candidate for the position, fine. Whoever the full-time AD is needs to realize first and foremost that Iowa is in a precarious position. It's not a true powerhouse in the money sports, and it's a small-market program. Starting next year, it's only going to be more difficult to compete in an expanded B1G, and if the leadership is lackluster, then Iowa is going to get left in the dust.
She didn’t do it on her own. Hint -settlement/regents.

I'd guess a vast majority of mid/high D-1 programs operate this way.

Boosters/donors are pretty influential.
Regents aren’t necessarily boosters or donors to athletics. BF reference is the settlement the state made, plus nepotism forced her hand. She may or may not have done it on her own eventually. But most are off the trail on this

I am not sure there is a State of Iowa employment law or ruling that says there has to be a search. I assume the job opening has to be posted. If it is posted and then there is no group of people looking at applicants and having job interviews then that might violate some types of employment laws or practices.

I am not sure if you are joking but if they spend $500,000 that is 1/2 of 1% of the TV money Iowa brings in.

Tell me how much is it supposed to cost?

The only person I would take instead of Beth is Bob Bowlsby.
I think Bowlsby is retiring or close to it. I want someone a bit younger than Bowlsby who might want to just mail it in and wait for his check. Plus he did a crappy job with the whole Tom Davis thing. From what I remember Davis just needed some force or push to get out there and recruit more and face to face and better.

• Love
Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I think Bowlsby is retiring or close to it. I want someone a bit younger than Bowlsby who might want to just mail it in and wait for his check. Plus he did a crappy job with the whole Tom Davis thing. From what I remember Davis just needed some force or push to get out there and recruit more and face to face and better.
He’s the interim AD at UNI.

He wanted to hire Terry Allen…major revolt. Major. UI pres office and UIF office inundated with calls.

Day of KF interview there was a scheduled press conference in Lawrence. TA to announce he was leaving. Post revolt and a couple of search committee members put their foot down,,, it became a ‘I love Kansas, not leaving PC. Ferentz was offered same day he interviewed. Interviews started before thanksgiving in this order TA, BS, DP, CL, KF

Search committee did create a delay b/w OU offer and Iowa decision. So, thankfully we got ‘stuck’ with Ferentz. Last one interviewed after courtesy interviews with Chuck Long, Don Patterson, Allen booster revolt. KF was asked to apply from members of the Iowa staff at that time when it was clear the Stoop thing was bungled. This ask was after interviews began.

Search committee was blamed for missing on Bobby.

BB got fly solo w/o search committee in the aftermath for the BB search….and he gave us Alford.

I had a unique , pretty front row seat to this interesting time and knew all candidates except for Terry Allen.

Bowlsby looked like a deadman at the Ferentz welcome reception at the Leavitt Center that occurred right after KFs first press conference.no one would talk to him. I did and I told him - he picked a great coach(past experience with KF).

Just a thought, why not complain to the actual people that control this, the politicians. This is a state of Iowa scenario, not a University of Iowa specific mandate.
The BOR is not driving this search. It is strictly internal, or U of Iowa search. It is a waste of money, tax payer dollars.

The BOR is not driving this search. It is strictly internal, or U of Iowa search. It is a waste of money, tax payer dollars.
Again, sincerely do not give a shit, take it to the OT board. I'll happily take the L if you take it there.

Just because she fired Brian doesn't mean she will be the best candidate.

With that said, I respect the hell out of her for doing what she did.

But I want the best we can get, whoever that will be.
Bulder and Brands gave her high remarks. Ill stick to listening to coaches who've been in the same room with National Championship trophies.

He’s the interim AD at UNI.

He wanted to hire Terry Allen…major revolt. Major. UI pres office and UIF office inundated with calls.

Day of KF interview there was a scheduled press conference in Lawrence. TA to announce he was leaving. Post revolt and a couple of search committee members put their foot down,,, it became a ‘I love Kansas, not leaving PC. Ferentz was offered same day he interviewed. Interviews started before thanksgiving in this order TA, BS, DP, CL, KF

Search committee did create a delay b/w OU offer and Iowa decision. So, thankfully we got ‘stuck’ with Ferentz. Last one interviewed after courtesy interviews with Chuck Long, Don Patterson, Allen booster revolt. KF was asked to apply from members of the Iowa staff at that time when it was clear the Stoop thing was bungled. This ask was after interviews began.

Search committee was blamed for missing on Bobby.

BB got fly solo w/o search committee in the aftermath for the BB search….and he gave us Alford.

I had a unique , pretty front row seat to this interesting time and knew all candidates except for Terry Allen.

Bowlsby looked like a deadman at the Ferentz welcome reception at the Leavitt Center that occurred right after KFs first press conference.no one would talk to him. I did and I told him - he picked a great coach(past experience with KF).
Good for you. Did you tell Bowlsby he ****ed over Hayden who left the job with the promise he could name his successor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT