ADVERTISEMENT

What will be Ferentz's undoing at Iowa?

Mar 14, 2003
-Inability to beat the likes of Iowa State, Directional MAC schools, Illinois State?
-Slipping product that is below the likes of Minnesota?
-Inability to beat Nebraska and Wisconsin?
-Boring/Stubborn Brand of Football?
-Recruiting struggles despite facility upgrades?
-Inability to change and adapt?

I think it will be a combination of all of the above. The constant loses to inferior teams that quite frankly aren't so inferior over the last few years, getting blown out by Minnesota, unable to beat Wisconsin and Nebraska, refuses to change, and inability to recruit more than three star talent with MAC offers.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I think he gets 1-2 more years. He's shown he can bring the team back from dead before so there is always a chance. I just don't think he has the coordinators or talent to do so. N

His decision to retire.

I have a feeling he hangs up the note pad before his contract expires, maybe another 2 seasons.

....also, its hard not to notice your obsession with some imagined impending doom or imminent downfall regarding the Iowa football program or coach Ferentz, Find something to be happy about. Smoke some pot. Find a girlfriend, or boyfriend if that's your thing. Pick up a hobby. Plant a garden. Learn card tricks. Build a bird house. Something man, anything.

Last edited:
This ship has only sailed one direction and even with a newer staff....we sail the same direction. I agree with previous poster, he does not have the coaches to build the team back up. There is no reason to think they can....just hope!

This ship has only sailed one direction and even with a newer staff....we sail the same direction[/B].

Only one direction? Even a casual fan would know that Iowa's ship has sailed out to sea and back to port a few times under Kirk Ferentz:

1999 1-10
2000 3-9
2001 7-5
2002 11-2
2003 10-3
2004 10-2
2005 7-5
2006 6-7
2007 6-6
2008 9-4
2009 11-2
2010 8-5
2011 7-6
2012 4-8
2013 8-5
2014 7-6

Many of those years were anchored at sea midway between posts but KF has had years where the ship is pointed full steam ahead and has also reversed course and pirated the ship in the opposite direction.

His detractors and his supporters concur on very little nowadays but both camps would probably agree that, under Ferentz, the program has moved in different directions a number of times since 1999.

Reactions: Cougar63
Only one direction? Even a casual fan would know that Iowa's ship has sailed out to sea and back to port a few times under Kirk Ferentz:

1999 1-10
2000 3-9
2001 7-5
2002 11-2
2003 10-3
2004 10-2
2005 7-5
2006 6-7
2007 6-6
2008 9-4
2009 11-2
2010 8-5
2011 7-6
2012 4-8
2013 8-5
2014 7-6

Many of those years were anchored at sea midway between posts but KF has had years where the ship is pointed full steam ahead and has also reversed course and pirated the ship in the opposite direction.

His detractors and his supporters concur on very little nowadays but both camps would probably agree that, under Ferentz, the program has moved in different directions a number of times since 1999.

I think we can all agree that KF did a wonderful job of pulling us out of the dregs of HF's finals year or two. It was nothing short of remarkable, and all praise was well deserved. He kept us at that level for three seasons before we started seeing some slide back. I am not naive enough to think that IA is the type of program to stay at the 10+ win level indefinitely, but looking at the last 10 years, there are several examples of my biggest issue, not beating teams we should be able to beat/inability to finish a game.

2005: ISU was not a terrible team that year, but it is still Iowa State, and getting beat by 20 was absurd; we got dicked in the MI game, but still did not finish like we should have; and NW was a brutal. All three teams were 7-5, which is not bad, but we should have still either been competitive or put them away.
2006: losses to IN, NW and MN this year were all games we should have been able to take care of. Even if we get another one or two it is a better year.
2007: another loss to ISU, IN and Purdue were not terrible that year, but still not great, and a loss to W. MI.
2008: that goddam Pitt game, MSU and NW were close games that could have been pulled out, and a bad loss to IL.
2009: great year but could have been amazing. went tight against NW and tOSU. what could have been had we kept attacking NW and had some stones in the Shoe. Great year, though, and proof that the team can be brought back.
2010: all tough losses where we just could not finish. another good team, but I those losses sucked.
2011: another ISU loss and a loss to a terrible MN team.
2012: total and complete bloodbath. ISU (again), Central MI, Indiana and Purdue are tough pills to swallow any time, but all in one year is brutal.
2013: pretty good year. should have put N. IL away, but they were a good team that year. This is definitely one of the high points in the last 10 years, even if the record does not support it as we lost to good teams.
2014: with one of the easiest schedules in the country, and coming off a good year, we under performed in a big way; the ISU loss was a joke and what broke the camel's back for a lot of people, MD, WI and NE all slip away, and we got piss pounded by both MN and TN.

KF will be remembered for a lot of things. He brought the team back from the cellar. He rebounded a couple times and won a BCS game. He had us competitive in a lot of games where people may not have given us a chance, but he also lost a lot of games that should not have been close or that we let slip away. If even a handful of the games listed above went IA's way, I doubt we would be having most of the discussions we are about firing him.

Reactions: TankHawk and nu2u

1999 1-10
2000 3-9
2001 7-5
2002 11-2
2003 10-3
2004 10-2
2005 7-5
2006 6-7
2007 6-6
2008 9-4
2009 11-2
2010 8-5
2011 7-6
2012 4-8
2013 8-5
2014 7-6

I need to be more clear when I post something....I was thinking about the style of play, not W-L.

-Inability to beat the likes of Iowa State, Directional MAC schools, Illinois State?

I think it will be a combination of all of the above. The constant loses to inferior teams that quite frankly aren't so inferior over the last few years, getting blown out by Minnesota, unable to beat Wisconsin and Nebraska, refuses to change, and inability to recruit more than three star talent with MAC offers.

I extracted the take home message from your redundant rambling......it really is way beyond tired at this point.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I need to be more clear when I post something....I was thinking about the style of play, not W-L.

Well then, you would then have to admit that his style of play is sometimes very successful. I understand the need to adapt to changing circumstances but KF will always run a pro-style offense predicated on a power run game. Bielema is in the same mold. The difference between the two coaches is the degree of risk they are willing to assume. Ferentz is conservative; Bielema will roll the dice and add more wrinkles to the playbook.

DianaMoonGlam raised valid points. Far too many missed opportunities for very good or even exceptional seasons due to unexpected and sometimes inexcusable losses. He will never be able to escape the multiple losses to pitiful Iowa State teams and that alone continues to fuel much of the present discontent.

If you look at things, Iowa has been mediocre and even below that in every season since 2005 besides 2009. If you look at the results from 2009 and then look at 2010. 2010 was a complete joke.

I really think it's this item in bold above, but it leads to all of the others IMO. Adapt or perish. I'm not sure KF has been willing to adapt to this point, and it's showing.

But if you want to look at more tangible items, the losing record against ISU really screams out at me.

#1 reason: Recruiting
#2 reason: Style of play/Bland football, one in the same
#3 reason: Can't beat ISU consistently and losing ground to Minne, MSU and Wisky

All that being said, KF will leave on his on terms, IMHO.

Well then, you would then have to admit that his style of play is sometimes very successful. I understand the need to adapt to changing circumstances but KF will always run a pro-style offense predicated on a power run game. Bielema is in the same mold. The difference between the two coaches is the degree of risk they are willing to assume. Ferentz is conservative; Bielema will roll the dice and add more wrinkles to the playbook.

DianaMoonGlam raised valid points. Far too many missed opportunities for very good or even exceptional seasons due to unexpected and sometimes inexcusable losses. He will never be able to escape the multiple losses to pitiful Iowa State teams and that alone continues to fuel much of the present discontent.

No problem with the type of offense, more an issue with the people running it! I also think there is a problem evaluating players and who we are playing. I would also agree with inexcusable loses and extremely conservative play! I also think KF will have trouble changing and I'm not even sure he thinks something is wrong? That scares me more than anything!

It's pretty well known that Ferentz plans to retire after he beats Paterno's record of 45 seasons as head coach at PSU. That will have him retiring at the end of the 2045 season at the age of 88.

I'd like to see Kirk have 2 good years and then retire. Hopefully he has them soon!

Retirement.

If the new university president cans the AD, then that may speed up the process.

I think we can all agree that KF did a wonderful job of pulling us out of the dregs of HF's finals year or two. It was nothing short of remarkable, and all praise was well deserved. He kept us at that level for three seasons before we started seeing some slide back. I am not naive enough to think that IA is the type of program to stay at the 10+ win level indefinitely, but looking at the last 10 years, there are several examples of my biggest issue, not beating teams we should be able to beat/inability to finish a game.

2005: ISU was not a terrible team that year, but it is still Iowa State, and getting beat by 20 was absurd; we got dicked in the MI game, but still did not finish like we should have; and NW was a brutal. All three teams were 7-5, which is not bad, but we should have still either been competitive or put them away.
2006: losses to IN, NW and MN this year were all games we should have been able to take care of. Even if we get another one or two it is a better year.
2007: another loss to ISU, IN and Purdue were not terrible that year, but still not great, and a loss to W. MI.
2008: that goddam Pitt game, MSU and NW were close games that could have been pulled out, and a bad loss to IL.
2009: great year but could have been amazing. went tight against NW and tOSU. what could have been had we kept attacking NW and had some stones in the Shoe. Great year, though, and proof that the team can be brought back.
2010: all tough losses where we just could not finish. another good team, but I those losses sucked.
2011: another ISU loss and a loss to a terrible MN team.
2012: total and complete bloodbath. ISU (again), Central MI, Indiana and Purdue are tough pills to swallow any time, but all in one year is brutal.
2013: pretty good year. should have put N. IL away, but they were a good team that year. This is definitely one of the high points in the last 10 years, even if the record does not support it as we lost to good teams.
2014: with one of the easiest schedules in the country, and coming off a good year, we under performed in a big way; the ISU loss was a joke and what broke the camel's back for a lot of people, MD, WI and NE all slip away, and we got piss pounded by both MN and TN.

KF will be remembered for a lot of things. He brought the team back from the cellar. He rebounded a couple times and won a BCS game. He had us competitive in a lot of games where people may not have given us a chance, but he also lost a lot of games that should not have been close or that we let slip away. If even a handful of the games listed above went IA's way, I doubt we would be having most of the discussions we are about firing him.

Good post. Things I remember hearing being mentioned by announcers EVERY GAME during the KF good seasons that do not apply now are: Iowa finishes the season strong, great special teams, Chis Doyle being a plus, OL pretty much being able to tell the opposing "D" where the play was going and getting it done, then repeating it, Norm Parker, next man in and it meant something, bend don't break. Probably many more. Feel free to add yours. Something that upsets me is that KF (my opinion) will pull the reigns in on the offense, if it's even possible, and turn the game over to the "D" even though the Hawks are only a turnover away from falling behind.

Reactions: bouma1415
1 - Trying, and succeeding, at being the anti-Hayden Fry.

2 - Failing to understand, after all these years, that the greatest risk of all is being afraid to take a risk.

Retirement.

If the new university president cans the AD, then that may speed up the process.

Barta and Kirk will both be gone this year. Barta had his chance to save himself but tied himself in with Kirk by not firing him.

Nothing will save Kirk. He doesn't have the talent or the coaches to orchestrate a turnaround like before.

But to answer your question losig one of the first 2 games. IMO Kirk should have been fired after ISU last year. And should be fired if he loses to either ISUs this year.

I have no idea why so many tolerate this crap? People in this state must just fear any change ever I guess? Explains branstad, grassley, harkin, Boswell etc for so long

If you look at things, Iowa has been mediocre and even below that in every season since 2005 besides 2009. If you look at the results from 2009 and then look at 2010. 2010 was a complete joke.

2009 overachieved, 2010 under. When you play to keep games tight, that's what happens. Everything went right in 2009 except the end zone bootleg. Couldn't make a stop on D to save their lives in 2010. THAT'S FOOTBALL

His undoing will be the inability to hire coordinators after NP & KOK departed.

Good post. Things I remember hearing being mentioned by announcers EVERY GAME during the KF good seasons that do not apply now are: Iowa finishes the season strong, great special teams, Chis Doyle being a plus, OL pretty much being able to tell the opposing "D" where the play was going and getting it done, then repeating it, Norm Parker, next man in and it meant something, bend don't break. Probably many more. Feel free to add yours. Something that upsets me is that KF (my opinion) will pull the reigns in on the offense, if it's even possible, and turn the game over to the "D" even though the Hawks are only a turnover away from falling behind.

Yes, agree. Don't forget bullies of the Big 10.

Do you know why KF "pulls in the reigns" on offense? Because we suck at it. Our Offensive coaching staff has not earned their paychecks. KF made a bad hire in GD, but then stands by him. I don't get it.

Having an empty trophy case year after year. Although I think we'll get the CyHawk and Floyd this year and I good shot at the Hero's trophy or whatever its called.

Reminder

This proves one thing.......................

Those of us on HR just ain't that smart.

I love reading this stuff, although lots of these posters have said they were wrong about KF. On the other hand, lots of posters have changed their handles(Flick)
Or take credit for the season. Made a stand by not buying tix and other BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT