ADVERTISEMENT

***Big Ten Tournament Session III Thread***

You see this is what's cool about the 1st amendment. You are allowed to just say stupid shit like this, and it's totally legal and free.
This is his 4th year in the room. He has finished R16 at NCAAs, and will be wrestling for 5th at B1Gs after losing to a true freshman. You think he’s significantly better than a blood round guy? You see big improvement coming in year 5?

Not that either are or will ever be world beaters, but Rathjen is clearly still not back from injury and Hill is now clearly in same boat. I'll give those guys passes for today's results. Teske got screwed, and just felt like Kennedy didn't have his gas tank today. We're a team with plenty of 'good' guys, unfortunately no great ones right now. Onward.

He’s Max Murin and that’s fine. Really good guy to have. He just can’t be one of your best guys if you want to field a contending team.
That’s a great person to compare him to, no offense to max. But pk came in with all kinds of hype as the next bull and gonna be a force. Just limited offensively and not real quick. Hope he finds that podium

Welsh in on a single and elevates and he finishes for the win 4-1. It’s like a broken record. Our guys can’t finish and other finish on us when it’s pretty evenly matched opponents.

The sport is dying before our eyes. Entertainment value drops by the year. Reffing is God damned joke, NIL, portal. Disgusting.
Reffing has to be fixed. There are two reffs, make the call! One lifetime portal

This is his 4th year in the room. He has finished R16 at NCAAs, and will be wrestling for 5th at B1Gs after losing to a true freshman. You think he’s significantly better than a blood round guy? You see big improvement coming in year 5?
Dude is busted up and undersized and still has wins over top 5 opponents at this weight. Could easily all american this year. Even place high with how 2 of the top 3 are banged up.
He had one of the hardest paths out of anyone last year, and came in seeded 6th.
Get a grip

Dude is busted up and undersized and still has wins over top 5 opponents at this weight. Could easily all american this year. Even place high with how 2 of the top 3 are banged up.
He had one of the hardest paths out of anyone last year, and came in seeded 6th.
Get a grip
I’m perfectly calm. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

That’s a great person to compare him to, no offense to max. But pk came in with all kinds of hype as the next bull and gonna be a force. Just limited offensively and not real quick. Hope he finds that podium
It’s a great example why recruiting guys who have high athletic ceilings. Both guys are great wrestlers who squeezed every drop of juice out of themselves. It’s just not good enough to be a consistent AA or title contender. They’ll be in dog fights with everyone from 6-15 and will almost always fall in that range at NCAAs.

Kennedy is a permanent R12 type guy. He might have a good tournament and place 7/8 once if he is given 4 tries at it. After NCAAs it SHOULD be clear that we need to stop forcing him into the lineup.

Very likely won't be in the lineup next year so we can find a different whipping boy.
He was the #3 pfp in 2020 according to flo- behind Keegan and ahead of Bartlett. How did we get to this point? More top 10 recruits isn’t going to help if this is the result. (Ayala was #5 in 2021).

He was the #3 pfp in 2020 according to flo- behind Keegan and ahead of Bartlett. How did we get to this point? More top 10 recruits isn’t going to help if this is the result. (Ayala was #5 in 2021).
Just because they’re top 10 recruits doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to workout. Facundo was equally as big of a recruit and he hasn’t done much better than Kennedy has.

Reactions: Rocky_Smith
Not that either are or will ever be world beaters, but Rathjen is clearly still not back from injury and Hill is now clearly in same boat. I'll give those guys passes for today's results. Teske got screwed, and just felt like Kennedy didn't have his gas tank today. We're a team with plenty of 'good' guys, unfortunately no great ones right now. Onward.
Also, is Kennedy dealing with an arm injury?

To me, unless there's more health issues then what has been rumored...the biggest red flag is Wood's regression.

The team we've seen this weekend ain't finishing even top 5 at Nattys.

But until Tom proves he's willing to do more than just add a few transfers, I don't see how things improve.

He is wrestling up a weight. He was one of the few bright spots on our team last year. He just had unfortunate circumstances with Ramirez dropping a match early in last years tournament. I swear you guys don't watch until nationals and the conference tournaments.

Not about finding a whipping boy, it’s simply the truth. We have a couple other guys in our lineup that have similar limitations. People just expect Kennedy to be a world beater and he isn’t. Not hating on him at all.
a couple? we have at least seven.

You guys have unrealistic expectations after the gambling probe.
Nelson could've possibly won
Cassioppi in the finals
Assad would've placed
The sky isn't falling. This is just what happens when bad things happen consistently. Go out and enjoy the day. It's beautiful out.

Reactions: MAGAman
Kid wrestled great during the regular season and now you’re going to beat him up after one bad loss. Nice!
This is my last post on the topic as it has apparently touched a nerve with quite a few. Going back to last year’s NCAA tournament he has one takedown in 8 matches against top 10 wrestlers (Ruth). He’s a solid wrestler that could AA on the right day, but it will be very draw dependent. We need to keep aiming higher. We can’t act surprised when the things staring us in the face happen again. He will almost always beat up on guys outside the top 15, but that isn’t what gets you on the podium.

Reactions: Iachickens
He was a top 6 pfp guy in high school, so I guess he can be considered a disappointment. The guy that took his spot was in the low 50’s pfp.
He’s a giant disappointment so far, iwbh. Ayala too. Iowa’s best recruits should be contending for championships by their 3rd year here, not just trying to get AA status.

It’s a pretty scary and shocking trend recently, and Iowa isn’t contending for even 2nd or 3rd if it doesn’t turn around soon.

Reactions: MVPFAN
He was a top 6 pfp guy in high school, so I guess he can be considered a disappointment. The guy that took his spot was in the low 50’s pfp.
This, all of this.

Yes he had a good record last year at 20-5, but who did he beat that instilled so much confidence from some of these people?

He beat a spiraling Wyatt Sheets and Amine in the B10's then turned around and lost to him when it mattered most.

He beat the guys he should always beat and lost to the All-American gatekees.

A top 5 p4p guy should be in the semis every Saturday.

Yes, definitely. It's a talent evaluation issue and that's one of the things this staff struggles with. I don't think they do the best job of looking for guys who have the tools to be elite. PK's best performance in high school was his sophomore year Super 32 where he beat Hidlay and Foca. He would have smoked Caliendo at that point, but Caliendo has athleticism that can't be taught and once he got in a college room, made passed him by.

Just because they’re top 10 recruits doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to workout. Facundo was equally as big of a recruit and he hasn’t done much better than Kennedy has.
Last year it was somewhere between 20-25% of top ten P4P recruits were all-Americans. However, if they did AA it was typically the top half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT