ADVERTISEMENT

Why is now not the right time to part ways with Fran?

But it took 15 years. Before we were similar to the men with a great player and some good ones. We need a Caitlin Clark on the boys team. Need a die hard haek fan that is a top 5 player. Dreams are good to have, lol.
The biggest issue I have with Fran is either his blatant refusal or his inability to fix glaring weaknesses—like defense, rebounding, etc.

I don’t follow the women to know, but I can’t imagine they have been as bafflingly bad at defense Bluder’s entire tenure as the men have been under Fran.

The men’s program is just stale. IMO a change is badly needed.

The biggest issue I have with Fran is either his blatant refusal or his inability to fix glaring weaknesses—like defense, rebounding, etc.

I don’t follow the women to know, but I can’t imagine they have been as bafflingly bad at defense Bluder’s entire tenure as the men have been under Fran.

The women's team was undersized so made a difference. Played some solid d but the boards and 5's killed us to many times. I loved playing d in college but we definitely didn't have a Fran type coach although i do like Fran honestly. Maybe it's cause of Lickliter. I'm still scarred

pretty sure some "creative accounting" could turn the TV revenue into NIL funds

I have a question. Do scholarships matter? Can the NCAA enforce a limit on the number of players on a team?
Just keep the scholarship limit the same, but whatever NIL money the players get depends on how much they have to give back to the universities to pay for the tuition, books, food, and lodging. Only seems fair, plus sign a contract to pledge to stay for at least a year before bolting to another university.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
But it took 15 years. Before we were similar to the men with a great player and some good ones. We need a Caitlin Clark on the boys team. Need a die hard haek fan that is a top 5 player. Dreams are good to have, lol.

What year did Bluder win her first big ten regular season championship, and big tournament title? Not 15 years.

All the coaches at mid majors making $250K/yr with no NIL would jump for chance to make $3.2 million/yr at Iowa.

Maybe some of them would also do better job raising NIL.

At the juncture we are 1-2-3 years away from replacing Fran. Maybe he'll suddenly do something great.
Sadly I think Fran’s involuntary departure is three years away, maybe two. Beth doesn’t have the buyout money. She, and we, can only hope Fran pulls the trigger on himself and moves on, maybe to be closer to Jack.

What year did Bluder win her first big ten regular season championship, and big tournament title? Not 15 years.
I'm talking about tourny. We need a Caitlin Clark for the men's team. That's why i have such high expectations for these 2 classes. Imo best 2 consecutive years of recruiting.

Beth doesn’t have the buyout money.
How do you know this?

Seems to me with the new B1G media contract the AD should be flush with cash to buy him out. I don't think she'll pull the trigger now unfortunately, but if next year ends the same way SHE WILL HAVE TO pull the trigger.

Not if this upcoming season end like this year… Beth G knows the apathy is at concerning levels.
I was expecting another nit bid or a late team in. Then definitely tourny but I'm also just being hopeful and also afraid of another Lickliter hire.

Agree.....Fran just makes me tired.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
My prediction is that he leaves after next season at this point. Connor and Patrick are now in Indy. So is Caitlan now. From what I have been reading from several sources is that Jack is favoring Butler at this point. Besides money, what keeps him at Iowa at this point. He has plenty of money. Maybe he is hoping for some type of buyout.

Reactions: amahawk
It's past time for Fran to be gone.

People making the argument trying to compare the length of time it took Bluder to make a Sweet 16 compared to Fran is laughable.....it's not even close to the same thing. The parity in women's basketball only just became a thing in the last 6-7 years. Before that, it was the same teams making the same runs every year. In men's basketball, you can have a 15 seed make the Sweet 16 and an 11 seed make the Final Four because there's so much good ball played all around the country. The fact we haven't made a Sweet 16 in 25 years is damn near criminal.

Also, if you want to make the comparison, then let's do this. Once Bluder got a difference maker in Gustafson, what happened? They went to the Elite 8. When Fran got his in Garza (not to mention Wieskamp and the Murrays), what happened? He pissed it down his leg per usual.

I've read on sites that review college coach contracts that the buyout is currently $5.4M. Given the fact that we're going to be getting a $hit ton more tv money from football, why the hell wouldn't we just buy him out and go find someone who has the ability to bring in "athletic" players as well as ones that can show at least a passing interest in playing defense?

So yeah, now is definitely the time to move on.....past time for sure.

Reactions: dekhawk
I find I must agree with Ragnar's premise here. IF: Fran seems to be approaching retirement/step down, he isn't threatening to advance the program further, and Iowa wants to take the next step - with all those ifs there's no reason to keep treading water with Fran.

My guess is that Iowa is content where they are with Fran and happy to ride it out.

I find I must agree with Ragnar's premise here. IF: Fran seems to be approaching retirement/step down, he isn't threatening to advance the program further, and Iowa wants to take the next step - with all those ifs there's no reason to keep treading water with Fran.

My guess is that Iowa is content where they are with Fran and happy to ride it out.
My assumption is that the priority is to fix/upgrade Carver first and then worry about the coach. I'm not saying it's the order I'd choose if I was AD - but I do believe that's the order this will play out. Hopefully, the Carver plans take shape quickly so we can move on to the next phase of MBB.

Reactions: Dauminator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT