ADVERTISEMENT

Will we open things up?

The reason I usually say the numbers tell you what you are because they factor in and reflect the play. So the offensive problems reflect the number of dropped passes, the number of missed reads or the number of terrible missed throws.

I don't know that we have a bad offensive coordinator. Every time a play is called and a receiver or two comes wide open and the QB misses them or throws an uncatchable ball, the blame falls on the QB. If receivers cannot get open, the blame is on them. If the line is porous that's their cross to bear. If a receiver is open and drops the ball, his fault. The plays would have worked with even mediocre execution.

The numbers also reflect what I think was a fairly limited playbook because the players could not be counted on to reliably execute even the most basic of plays. So, the factors aren't necessarily statistical subcategories, but the statistics are the reflection of terrible offensive play the last two seasons. The offense seemed to improve as Stanley got better. The offense regressed every year with Petras under center, and last season under a terrible center.

Finally, I think the blame for Petras is on KF. Overcaution can really bite you in the ass. It did last year. Everyone is absolutely right to expect significant improvement this season.
Blame for SP is on the coaching staff (mainly KF). OUr OC couldn't or wouldn't scheme to get a really talented WR into space (so WR transferred to Purdue and lit it up under an OC that did scheme). BF is not a good OC, it has been 5+yrs of very poor production, with varying talent levels.

Reactions: Iron Doc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT