ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball viewership

I'll be watching the hawk women I always do, I've never been interested in watching any other team and never will.

The majority won't be interested with cc gone, book it

They have had pretty darn good crowds the last several years, so your "majority" reference is a dumb reach.

I always tape sporting events, so I can watch them when convenient and replay sections that I wanted to see more closely. Yesterday, I mistakenly started taping the game on ESPN, which had the game with ongoing dialog among some former UConn players, who seem to be everywhere. They spent a lot of time continuing the crap about the illegal pick call "that cost UConn a chance to win the game." Taursi (sp?) seems to also have a grudge she is carrying about Caitlin getting so much attention and being called the GOAT. Fortunately, I started watching about a quarter into the game, so I was able to watch all but the first quarter on ABC, but I still listened to their rooting for SC and heavy bias against Iowa. Except for a visit from Snoop Dog, who likes Iowa, the UConn girls refused to give Iowa or CC much credit, even when they were whipping SC in the first quarter. The blue bloods don't like it when someone disrupts their dominance...

Same here and I had the DVR on ESPN and after a couple of minutes pregame of the uconns, I deleted it and set it for ABC. You lasted longer than I did.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Same here and I had the DVR on ESPN and after a couple of minutes pregame of the uconns, I deleted it and set it for ABC. You lasted longer than I did.
I didn't start watching until the first quarter was over, so I would have missed it. Taped the other 3 Qs on ABC. Taurasi was especially disgusting. She hated seeing Iowa and Caitlin doing so well.

Reactions: amahawk and BGHAWK
I didn't start watching until the first quarter was over, so I would have missed it. Taped the other 3 Qs on ABC. Taurasi was especially disgusting. She hated seeing Iowa and Caitlin doing so well.

And she was the one harping about the correct call against Edwards on Friday night. Sue Bird didn't comment on it at that time that I saw.

The lack of parity will continue to be a problem, but there are a few programs out there that are looking to get their foot in the door.

Bluder has done an amazing job with CC and her players. She has recruited well, and if Deal can live up to her recruiting ranking and stay healthy, we might have another run in us.

USC with Juju will be interesting over the next couple of years. They’ve got a chance to be the next Iowa style team to spoil the party of the blue bloods.

Can Fennelly parley his young players into a team to deal with over the next couple of years? He’ll need a PG as Ryan was a stud.

But other than that, we might as well get used to SC, LSU, UConn, UCLA, Stanford in the final 4.
Stanford will be interesting going forward. Vanderveer retired, Brink graduated, Iriafen in the portal, PAC 12 dissolving/cross country alliance with ACC. Lots of headwinds for that program.

LSU vs SC this year had 9.5 million viewers….Someone cared
This is the kind of thing we're seeing that makes me think numbers will stay up. Those kind of numbers for a regular season women's basketball game 2 years ago would have been ludicrous to imagine and CC had nothing to do with that game.

Personally, I think one of the unexpected byproducts of NIL is that women's players are getting a lot more visibility in today's NIL world. More people are learning names.

When I first started watching wbb, in that equation I was an Iowa fan first and a wbb fan a distant second. That was back in the Sam Logic years. Today, I find I enjoy wbb more than the men's game. I watched quite a few games this year that had nothing to do with Iowa. There were a lot of really good games this year.

They need to do something about the terrible officiating though.

LSU vs South Carolina had viewership numbers of 1.56 million peaking at 2.1 million. Not even close to 9.5 million.

You are right, this had nothing to do with CC. If she were part of this game, the numbers would have been far greater!

We will never see astronomical numbers like this again, but the cat is out of the bag. People expecting Iowa women's basketball (and women's basketball in general) to fade back into the shadows will be disappointed.

What we should be discussing is why it has become so popular. I think it has something to do with the fact that basketball is a more exciting and beautiful sport with players who aren't enormous, jacked He-Men. The men's game has outgrown the dimensions of a small court and short hoop, whereas the women's game looks more like the men's game of the 1980s. It's far more exciting and aesthetically pleasing. That won't change.

We will never see astronomical numbers like this again, but the cat is out of the bag. People expecting Iowa women's basketball (and women's basketball in general) to fade back into the shadows will be disappointed.

What we should be discussing is why it has become so popular. I think it has something to do with the fact that basketball is a more exciting and beautiful sport with players who aren't enormous, jacked He-Men. The men's game has outgrown the dimensions of a small court and short hoop, whereas the women's game looks more like the men's game of the 1980s. It's far more exciting and aesthetically pleasing. That won't change.
Good observations. Many have said that women's bball more closely resembles what the game was designed to look like.
That said...I think there will be some settling back toward normal. The bar for "average" may be higher but outside of the Final Four and Iowa's games...most of the other women's programs were business as usual this year. Most people watched because of the CC phenom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT