ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes. How #1 Gonzaga scored at will against Iowa, a video thread:

i guess at least we have a bad game now & hopefully clean things up
I thought I heard Seth Greenburg say that if Iowa truly wants to be a National Title Contender, they're not going to do it by simply trying to outscore their opponents. If I remember correctly, Loyola Marymount's Paul Westhead had that philosophy to run and gun. But he incorporated defense with "The System" by getting up court quickly and shooting and employed a full court press all game long on the defensive side. Think we could do that? I don't think we could unless you get into frequent substitutions. Your thoughts?

I thought I heard Seth Greenburg say that if Iowa truly wants to be a National Title Contender, they're not going to do it by simply trying to outscore their opponents. If I remember correctly, Loyola Marymount's Paul Westhead had that philosophy to run and gun. But he incorporated defense with "The System" by getting up court quickly and shooting and employed a full court press all game long on the defensive side. Think we could do that? I don't think we could unless you get into frequent substitutions. Your thoughts?
Fran sometimes uses token full court pressure that gets some results(ie, turnovers) but I fear if he tried to full court press too much, we would be giving up even more easy slam dunks

and based on yesterday, to beat the really good teams, not sure if he wants to go beyond a 7 or 8 man rotation

Fran sometimes uses token full court pressure that gets some results(ie, turnovers) but I fear if he tried to full court press too much, we would be giving up even more easy slam dunks

and based on yesterday, to beat the really good teams, not sure if he wants to go beyond a 7 or 8 man rotation
We've got a pretty decent 3/4 court trap. Maybe we could use that after each basket/possession? Shots are going in over the zone and we're standing around, allowing dribble drives. What are we to do? lol.

Iowas defense will probably prevent them from being a final 4 team.

For whatever reason neither Fran nor the players really care to put the effort or attention to detail in to be good on defense.

Frans had capable defensive groups before but I'm inclined to believe that was more a product of the players vs the coaching.

Iowas defense will probably prevent them from being a final 4 team.

For whatever reason neither Fran nor the players really care to put the effort or attention to detail in to be good on defense.

Frans had capable defensive groups before but I'm inclined to believe that was more a product of the players vs the coaching.
This. It’s all about effort. Same with our rebounding issues. Can’t teach effort 🤷🏼

It’s really hard to understand how bad our defensive principles are.
it’s like a race between a Winnebago and a Ferrari and believing the Winnebago will win. Virginia isn’t out athleting people it’s their defensive principles That win out.

Yep, its never going to be good with Fran because his players don't have a good mental grasp of who is supposed to be doing what, when and where.

I've accepted Fran doesn't want to win bad enough to change it.

Yep, its never going to be good with Fran because his players don't have a good mental grasp of who is supposed to be doing what, when and where.

I've accepted Fran doesn't want to win bad enough to change it.
You would think he could teach them to sprint back on defense after a miss or turnover

Iowa lost to the #1 team in the NCAA by playing terrible defense, not rebounding, and laying bricks from beyond the arc, and shooting 54% from the line. The #1 team in the country won by rebounding, making 3's, and capitalizing on TO's. Iowa lost by 11 to a team that was shooting 29% from 3.

Iowa's D may not be the best in the country, nor even the top 50% of the NCAA, but it is adequet enough to make a deep run. Clean some stuff up and they'll be fine.

Yeah! What have you, I mean Fran been doing all these years!?
a84612ebdc71ec737ae9e329a6eeb69b.gif

Iowa lost to the #1 team in the NCAA by playing terrible defense, not rebounding, and laying bricks from beyond the arc, and shooting 54% from the line. The #1 team in the country won by rebounding, making 3's, and capitalizing on TO's. Iowa lost by 11 to a team that was shooting 29% from 3.

Iowa's D may not be the best in the country, nor even the top 50% of the NCAA, but it is adequet enough to make a deep run. Clean some stuff up and they'll be fine.
Some simple changes would certainly help.

So when Iowa has had good defenses under Fran it was because of???

Well the only good defenses I can think of were the Gessel Woody Clemons teams.

Those guys came into the program knowing how and wanting to play defense.

Obviously Fran teaches defense but he clearly doesn't spend the amount of time on it most coaches do and he doesn't punish poor defense with playing time.

Well the only good defenses I can think of were the Gessel Woody Clemons teams.

Those guys came into the program knowing how and wanting to play defense.

Obviously Fran teaches defense but he clearly doesn't spend the amount of time on it most coaches do and he doesn't punish poor defense with playing time.

So you’re saying it’s personnel related.

After watching Patrick out there it’s pretty clear Fran doesn’t teach much defense. He’s a very innovative offensive coach. You would think a coaches son would have some idea on how to play D.

Connor is pretty decent on the defensive side of the ball for what he’s asked to do. I guess his mom taught him while Fran taught Patrick? This is getting confusing.

You would think he could teach them to sprint back on defense after a miss or turnover
Well, it's funny because when they try to get an offensive rebound, that's when they get beat down the floor. Usually it's one guy standing in the lane (Garza, probably) and the other 4 jogging back once a deep shot goes up, which usually results in many one-and-done possessions and few offensive rebounds, especially against good teams.

Check out the analysis & watch the videos. You would think that in year 11 Fran would have worked on & have fixed these issues. Instead, it's the same old defense, year after year.

I am certain any apologist (or someone on the team) will say anyone can point to things throughout every game to nitpick............

But see, the fact you can do this every game....and get waaaay more clips than just this little sample size........every. f***ing. game..........means there's a f***ing problem, that needs to get unf***ed.

I've been wanting to do this for a few years now, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to gather all the clips and edit them. It also sounds expensive.............and I'm a poor. So I've never been able to do it.

But I'm glad someone (not even an Iowa fan, no less) bothered to take the time to illustrate this.........

I am certain any apologist (or someone on the team) will say anyone can point to things throughout every game to nitpick............

But see, the fact you can do this every game....and get waaaay more clips than just this little sample size........every. f***ing. game..........means there's a f***ing problem, that needs to get unf***ed.

I've been wanting to do this for a few years now, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to gather all the clips and edit them. It also sounds expensive.............and I'm a poor. So I've never been able to do it.

But I'm glad someone (not even an Iowa fan, no less) bothered to take the time to illustrate this.........

Yeah, I used to get pissed about it for years.

But finally I've just accepted it. Fran doesn't demand defense. I don't understand it, it drives me crazy to think about so I just don't.

We are in a better spot now than we've been for about 30 years.

With Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons, Uthoff, Olaseni, he had a core set of good defensive players. They were never great on defense, but good. Woodbury could play pick and roll well and had a sense of how to play defense.

Those guys understood in order to win they had to play defense as well as they could.

Most players don't think that. They have to be coached to understand it.

Check out the analysis & watch the videos. You would think that in year 11 Fran would have worked on & have fixed these issues. Instead, it's the same old defense, year after year.

Thanks for going to the effort of posting the vids...

do you think one reason Iowa gets run out in the 1st half so often owing to ‘terrible’ defense is that every kid knows they can’t risk playing tougher defense because drawing even a single foul immediately puts themselves in peril of a ’1st half disqualification‘ owing to Frans iron clad policy of seating them when they get 2 fouls?

why risk a foul that bench’s yourself?

Thanks for going to the effort of posting the vids...

do you think one reason Iowa gets run out in the 1st half so often owing to ‘terrible’ defense is that every kid knows they can’t risk playing tougher defense because drawing even a single foul immediately puts themselves in peril of a ’1st half disqualification‘ owing to Frans iron clad policy of seating them when they get 2 fouls?

why risk a foul that bench’s yourself?
thats a good point; once a player gets that 1st foul they sure don't want a 2nd

And why is the defense is alway better in the 2h...?

CJF got a foul, then the questionable 2 foul and sits the remainder of 1h...

After the 1st foul, you tell yourself, “what ever you do, don’t foul”

We were a good shooting game away from kicking their ass.
Period.
They had one , we were off.
I'm surprised it was as close as it was considering our 3 percentage and free throw percentage.

Iowa shot awful from both 3pt and the line and we are worried about defense? The defense was good enough to win on even an average shooting night.

Reactions: MNHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT