ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes. How #1 Gonzaga scored at will against Iowa, a video thread:

Good defense also doesn’t mean going balls to the wall for thirty seconds for every one of your opponents’ 100 possessions if it comes at the expense of doing what you do best.

You know there is a fairly wide chasm between balls to the wall for 30 seconds on 100 straight possessions and allowing your opponent to waltz down the court and through the lane for easy buckets. Iowa would have to improve by light years to play "good defense". How about getting to "not terrible" as a first step.

You know there is a fairly wide chasm between balls to the wall for 30 seconds on 100 straight possessions and allowing your opponent to waltz down the court and through the lane for easy buckets. Iowa would have to improve by light years to play "good defense". How about getting to "not terrible" as a first step.
Iowa is 80th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency on Kenpom. That is well above “terrible.” Your inability to understand how the increased possessions in Iowa basketball games leads to more opportunities (some good, some bad) for opposing teams is baffling to me. Iowa is NOT bad at defense, and their defense has given the team an opportunity to win the game in every single contest we’ve played this year. If you do not believe this to be true, then this conversation is a waste of both our times

Reactions: RocknRollface
Iowa is 80th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency on Kenpom. That is well above “terrible.” Your inability to understand how the increased possessions in Iowa basketball games leads to more opportunities (some good, some bad) for opposing teams is baffling to me. Iowa is NOT bad at defense, and their defense has given the team an opportunity to win the game in every single contest we’ve played this year. If you do not believe this to be true, then this conversation is a waste of both our times

I disagree with everything you said with the exception of your last statement :).

Take off your hawkeye goggles/glasses. Our defense is mediocre at best.

giving up 99 points is not a good defensive performance, imo

the obvious problem? when you give up 99 you have to score 100 or more to win. that's asking a lot and come NCAA tourney time, if we make it to the Sweet 16, I hope we are still not giving up 90 plus on defense & expecting our offense to make up for it because we are gonna have off shooting nights and when we do, we are gonna lose if our D does not improve.
Gonzaga is going to score 99 against a lot of teams this year, including a good defensive team in Kansas who gave up about 102 to KU.

Iowa's defense seemed better against Purdue at times, but they aren't a defensive specialized team. They need to keep working on it, but I am just tired of all the negativity about their defense year after year. I'm enjoying the effort these kids are putting in, and they are fun to watch. I can't stand watching Wisconsin, for example, who play very good team defense and win lots of big ten titles. If I had to choose with basketball, I would like to have a team that is strong offensively and decent/good (if not great) at defense.

It's very rare that a team is great at both defense and offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT