ADVERTISEMENT

You aren't losing to IU.

The team that lost first round to psu two years ago was playing its best at the end of the season too. Mostly because White took his game up a notch.

Its gets lost inbetween the two meltdown years.
Wasn't it Illinois or northwestern we lost too? But I already made a post about that team we were playing not great teams and white was pretty much winning the games himself.

Talent level? Outside of Bryant they're not all that, and James Blackmon is an absolute short bus passenger except for his shooting. The other big is OK on O but plays no D. Their PG has played well recently but has been a TO machine all year.

We play consistent and they'll fold like they have all year. They're a dumb, poorly coached, unit.

I think we have a good chance at beating them, and I think a lot of what you posted in true. Just don't like the matchup, but maybe I'm entirely off base.

The Hoosiers are playing for their lives and if they hit first couple of 3s watch out

We need to guard the 3 point line

We gave penn state a lot of open looks and they missed them we cant aford to give the hoosiers the same looks
We give every team a lot of open looks at 3's. Fortunately, lately, teams haven't been hitting them. And we've been hot from 3 so that's been the difference IMO.

Indiana will be tough, but they are loose with the ball. I could see being aggresive with our press early and often. The biggest danger is they start to use Bryant as a post and actually share the ball with him. If Cook gets in foul trouble it could get ugly.

Hopefully we shoot the ball well from 3, turn them over, and the refs don't let them hold and beat up Jok. The way Pete shot the ball in the second half against Penn State could really put stress on Indiana if they aren't allowed to foul.

To me it's a coin flip we need to win.

I believe Indiana and Crean won the B!G last year 15-3 record. I do not think Crean is going any where. He also had too many injuries this year which affected the team.

That being said Indiana is always a tough team to play and will bring it Thursday. I like what someone said about Iowa is approaching this years tournament with a different momentum. Hopefully that will help bring some more wins to help the resume.

BTT is another step of growth for the young Hawkeyes. They are just so fun to watch right now as they gel. Still can see plenty of upside DNA for this team for rest of this year if they can continue on in the NIT or NCAA tournament. Improved fast break, secondary break, offensive rebounding, defensive rebound. Love to see Cook getting a Double-double two times now. Would love to see him be a double-double machine. There is something authorative about cleaning the glass and limiting one shot. Second shots are like a turnover.

Wasn't it Illinois or northwestern we lost too? But I already made a post about that team we were playing not great teams and white was pretty much winning the games himself.

It was PSU.

Northwestern the year before and Illinois after. Those were the meltdown years.

There was a good team in between those that everyone ignores because of the choke jobs that surrounded it.

And White wasnt winning games by himself by any means. Uthoff was playing really well too and Jok was a very good third option.

The main difference was White started shooting from 3 the last quarter of the season and it changed the complexion of the team.

They won 6 in a row and 8/10 to finish the season. Also blew out their opponent in the ncaa first round.

Still had an inexplicable loss to psu in the first round of the btt.

And White wasnt winning games by himself by any means. Uthoff was playing really well too and Jok was a very good third option.

Well, he certainly put the team on his shoulders and willed us to win those games. Down the stretch, his PTS/RBs were 13/8, 18/11, 29/9, 21/14, 21/5 and 25/8. Even in the BTT loss he went 21/13 and then 26/6 against Davidson. He was carrying us at the end of the season.

I love watching this team play and hope there many more yet to play this season.
They have already exceeded most expectations for the season so they should just play loose and hard.

Crean has won 3 BTT games in 8 seasons.
On top of that, it's been widely speculated that this could be his final game at IU and he's pretty well checked out.
After visiting Peegs.com it looks like the Iowa game doesn't matter at all this week. I'd say 98%of the conversation over there is if Crean is going to get the axe and if he does who will replace him. Nary a mention of who will win the Iowa game or does it even matter.

After visiting Peegs.com it looks like the Iowa game doesn't matter at all this week. I'd say 98%of the conversation over there is if Crean is going to get the axe and if he does who will replace him. Nary a mention of who will win the Iowa game or does it even matter.

I think the fanbase is fairly split (and the ratio may not be in his favor) on whether they want him back or not. He won the B1G outright last year. Pretty entitled mindset on their part.

Reactions: nagemj02
Well, he certainly put the team on his shoulders and willed us to win those games. Down the stretch, his PTS/RBs were 13/8, 18/11, 29/9, 21/14, 21/5 and 25/8. Even in the BTT loss he went 21/13 and then 26/6 against Davidson. He was carrying us at the end of the season.

Its not an either or scenario.

Uthoff had double figures in all but one of those games and was the leading scorer in a couple including against Gonzaga. Gabe Olesani was sixth man of the year.

The statement that one guy was winning games by himself is silly.

That team was playing good at the end of the year and had multiple good players.

They ran into a really good skilled team in Gonzaga.

Last edited:
I agree with that completely, I really like how this team is playing as well... IU talent level just scares me.

IU's lack of cohesiveness and their foolish determination to be always be in a hurry trumps most of their individual talent. The Hawkeyes will be in a battle but it's definitely theirs for the taking.

As a guy living 45 minutes from Bloomington, I can tell you it isn't even close to 50/50 regarding IU fans wanting him gone. When I speak to IU fans. It is more like 80/20 that want him gone. No one is willing to concede the injuries as a legitimate reason for the off year. Many are really upset that the team completely lacks basketball IQ and fundamentals, plus he makes little to no effort in recruiting in state kids. Sound familiar fellow Hawk fans? I keep telling them that "The Next Level" isn't always up, sometimes it is down, and then it can drop to the absolute depths of a programs history.

I think there are really 3 scenarios that unfold:
1) Crean's hot seat talk is a distraction, and the disappointing season takes its toll with IU checked out and sleepwalking (Iowa blowout win)
2) Crean's hot seat talk unites his team behind him and they play inspired (Iowa likely loses)
3) Iowa shoots great from 3 and we win regardless making backbreaking 3 after backbreaking 3 courtesy of Bohannon, Jok, Baer and Ellingson.

We were barely winning and played the worst teams in the big ten those last 6 games and we were winning because of one player, this team were winning as a team. I knew someone was going to bring that up when I wrote it, I should have encluded that year but white was playing insane against not the best teams in the B10 and the rest of the team wasn't. Right now we have 3-5 guys that are playing the best of their career and Jok playing the same a all big ten 1st team. This team is different than that white team. Baer and cook are playing amazing Jok is still playing great. Pemsl missed his first shot in 4 games today. Brady is playing with confidence and best he's played. CW is playing the best he's ever played.
So you are poo pooing a 6 game winning streak in the B1G?

We went from 6-6 to 12-6.

I remember specifically beating Indiana @ Indiana during that streak. The Hawks were outstanding that game.

Quote > On top of that, it's been widely speculated that this could be his final game at IU and he's pretty well checked out.

Checked out .... BS. Anyone that still has a pulse wants to WIN.

So you are poo pooing a 6 game winning streak in the B1G?

We went from 6-6 to 12-6.

I remember specifically beating Indiana @ Indiana during that streak. The Hawks were outstanding that game.

I'm not downplaying the 6 game win streak at all I'm just saying the opponents weren't as good as this years and one player was playing insane. While there's 3-4 guys on this team playing their best basketball of their careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT