ADVERTISEMENT

You just saw the ceiling of Iowa bball with McCaffrey as coach

Win5002

HR MVP
Jan 3, 2006
This will be the best year Iowa basketball has as long as McCaffrey is coach and that is because of one reason. A once in a lifetime college bball player and work ethic in Garza, is the only reason that happened. Most of us will not see a two time B1G POY much less a 2 time National POY or two time candidate depending on the award service.

Fran gets credit for finding and recruiting Garza but the development was him and his dad. You notice nobody else in the program has that kind of development.

Unfortunately, this will give Fran another 5 years at Iowa. About a 5-6th place finish in the conference will be tops at Iowa while he is here unless the league is really down.

18-12 or so every year and a first weekend exit from the tournament will be the story. I mean, a lot of schools would be happy with that but I’d rather have Kirk-like results: slightly above average with storybook years and an occasional turd laid.
Agreed. I’d be happy with a few average seasons with first weekend exits, and then having a nice run in the tourney, say to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16.

Agreed. I’d be happy with a few average seasons with first weekend exits, and then having a nice run in the tourney, say to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16.
Heck I’d even prefer a few NIT years here and there....as long as get to enjoy a deep run every so often. Take a page from the Ferentz playbook, gotta throw in a few real fun years here and there.

this sucks that we just saw the most talented team in decades go one and done, again...

Heck I’d even prefer a few NIT years here and there....as long as get to enjoy a deep run every so often. Take a page from the Ferentz playbook, gotta throw in a few real fun years here and there.

this sucks that we just saw the most talented team in decades go one and done, again...
Exactly. Even though Kirk pisses me off, he’s consistent and he has had multiple teams that were fun and exciting to watch.

This will be the best year Iowa basketball has as long as McCaffrey is coach and that is because of one reason. A once in a lifetime college bball player and work ethic in Garza, is the only reason that happened. Most of us will not see a two time B1G POY much less a 2 time National POY or two time candidate depending on the award service.

Fran gets credit for finding and recruiting Garza but the development was him and his dad. You notice nobody else in the program has that kind of development.

Unfortunately, this will give Fran another 5 years at Iowa. About a 5-6th place finish in the conference will be tops at Iowa while he is here unless the league is really down.

So you're saying you'd rather Iowa be Iowa State....got it!

Fran has his priorities all wrong, the Idea of the game is to win, and thinking our fan base is elated that Iowa runs up and down the court all game against teams that we don't match up well against is just plain ignorant.
Fran recruits middle of the road players and hit the jackpot with Aaron White & Luka, but recruiting race horse athletes has never been Fran's thing. At least not at Iowa.
Running with the big dogs is fun to watch but losing to them unnecessarily is far worse.

As I am sure you are aware, the team also lost its most valuable reserve in Nunge for the year. Add in the obvious injury to Frederick, who was playing at a very high level before, and it's not the team we had all hoped for. Injuries happen - but there are more reasons than just "bad coaching" for this teams decline.

I’ll take a Pass on adding more NIT Participant Banners to the CHA rafters. I have no idea if we have hit a ceiling, but our basketball program has slowly been regressing the past 20 years along with Indiana in the Big Ten. We came back from hitting rock bottom with Lickliter for sure, but right now I would lump us with Northwestern, Rutgers, PSU, and Nebbie. Not exactly a who’s who of great basketball programs.☠

Last edited:
I hope Fran was watching the Zags and begins to realize that Iowa cannot out score the great teams. The Zags scored 80 plus and held a potent Oklahoma club to the 70s.

We ran into a buzz saw at the same time half of our starters were battling nagging injuries. Oregon will win again, they’re a damn good team. Takes nothing away from how good Iowa’a season was.

So you're saying you'd rather Iowa be Iowa State....got it!

Fran has his priorities all wrong, the Idea of the game is to win, and thinking our fan base is elated that Iowa runs up and down the court all game against teams that we don't match up well against is just plain ignorant.
Fran recruits middle of the road players and hit the jackpot with Aaron White & Luka, but recruiting race horse athletes has never been Fran's thing. At least not at Iowa.
Running with the big dogs is fun to watch but losing to them unnecessarily is far worse.
You consider Oregon a "big dog" among college basketball teams?

Interestingly this was ceiling of Alfords teams, and the penthouse for Lickliters teams. Tom Davis shined at his beginning but outside of the 99 sweet 16 run, the round of 32s became the norm for him too. I thought this was the year Iowa caught lightning in a bottle and would make a deep run. Honestly Iowa does not have the name brand of the blue bloods nor the long term success of Gonzaga and even Oregon for that matter(4 sweet 16s in the last 5 tourneys). If Iowa is going to make a deep run ever again its going to come out of nowhere, from a team not expected to do so. I just don't see another Iowa team getting the same preseason recognitions like this team did for a long time ahead. I hope I'm wrong.

This is the ceiling for the OP's posting. We're all frustrated but to claim that this is the ceiling is juvenile. He seems to be looking for more athletic players, especially guards. He is always going to try and get the best talent in the state. Terrible take on a terrible day

Reactions: squeezebox
I’ll give Fran the credit for getting him here and his development. I’ll also give Fran all the blame for starting 3 players who showed they had no business being starters on a legit team and scoring 0 points in the most important game of the last 20-30 years

Good luck with that.

I am not enamored with Frans in game coaching.
However, anyone calling for a change is too young to remember calls for Tom Davis to be fired and the subsequent Alford/Lickliter years.

Reactions: VodkaSam

Spot on. I loved watching Garza, but now that his Iowa career is over, I've lost a lot of interest in watching any more Fran-led Iowa teams.

Exactly. Even though Kirk pisses me off, he’s consistent and he has had multiple teams that were fun and exciting to watch.
I thought this team was fun and exciting to watch. Unfortunately, Fran doesn't get to miss out on playing most of the league's good programs like Kirk did in 15. The programs are pretty similar the past 6-7 years with fball getting slight edge, above average but nothing special outside that 1 rose bowl season

18-12 or so every year and a first weekend exit from the tournament will be the story. I mean, a lot of schools would be happy with that but I’d rather have Kirk-like results: slightly above average with storybook years and an occasional turd laid years.

I don't think 18-12 at Iowa gets you into NCAA tourney...that is probably 10-10 or 9-11 in B1G. That is same conference which just pooped its pants and should see its bids cut back.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkGem10

Aren’t you the clairvoyant one.

I think it’s time for our annual “Fran needs to hire a tough, strong, defensive minded assistant coach” narrative.

Holy moly, OR hangs 95 on us - and easily could have been 100+ but they subtly took their foot off the peddle.

We really should frame this post for later in the year when half the people on here are bitching about the same old same old from KF. Lets face it there are always going to be people unhappy, no matter what happens.
I surely wish that Iowa would have advanced today, but saying that this team hasn't been fun to watch is just inaccurate....

They're going to be better defensively next season. You better keep watching unless you hate defense.
I hope your right. It looks like the bench plays way better defense than starters. My fear is that longer the players are in the system the less focus on defense their is. I guess what I mean is... I can't think of many cases where the defense of players have significantly improved under fran the longer they are here. Hoping players (who have shown that can play lock down D) like JT, Perkins, KM can keep up the defensive intensity

Watch us get a more favorable path in the tournament next year and make the Sweet 16 and everyone be like...........

10589087.jpg

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT