ADVERTISEMENT

You just saw the ceiling of Iowa bball with McCaffrey as coach

I hope your right. It looks like the bench plays way better defense than starters. My fear is that longer the players are in the system the less focus on defense their is. I guess what I mean is... I can't think of many cases where the defense of players have significantly improved under fran the longer they are here. Hoping players (who have shown that can play lock down D) like JT, Perkins, KM can keep up the defensive intensity

Maybe so on past teams but the four of Toussaint/Perkins/P. McCaffery/Murray don't have it in them to play bad defense, especially if you give them a decent rim protector.
Fredrick too when healthy, though that's not very often.

We ran into a buzz saw at the same time half of our starters were battling nagging injuries. Oregon will win again, they’re a damn good team. Takes nothing away from how good Iowa’a season was.

Exactly. Iowa was a really good team. As we are seeing "upsets" all over the place this tourney... It's all about getting hot at the right time.

Oregon came out scorching.

Of course our D didn't help AND that was the concern ALL SEASON.

Bad matchup, like many foresaw, when brackets came out

If I hear Lickliter used as an excuse for Fran again I’m going to go bonkers....it’s been 11 years...
Everyone who is ready to replace Fran acts like the grass is always greener on the other side. We thought that way with Davis and ended with two absolute duds. And there wasn’t one person in Hawkeye-land who thought Alford was initially a bad hire. More importantly would you really trust Barta to hire a quality coach?

I am not enamored with Frans in game coaching.
However, anyone calling for a change is too young to remember calls for Tom Davis to be fired and the subsequent Alford/Lickliter years.
Davis was fired, and THEN made the sweet 16 as a lame duck coach!

Everyone who is ready to replace Fran acts like the grass is always greener on the other side. We thought that way with Davis and ended with two absolute duds. And there wasn’t one person in Hawkeye-land who thought Alford was initially a bad hire. More importantly would you really trust Barta to hire a quality coach?

Quit acting like Alford & Lickliter are in the same class.

Mocking clown fans post is just too easy. Only clown fans are ok with paying $10m to get a coach with a losing record in the WAC.

You don't even know what conference he was in. CTR V has been wrong about 75 times every time you post it.

Iowa needs more thugs plain and simple. Mix them with a few sharpshooters from the state of Iowa and we have a Sweet 16 team.

11 years a p5 coach, 0 sweet 16s. Let go of the fear of Lickliter. Alford put trophies in the case.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If I hear Lickliter used as an excuse for Fran again I’m going to go bonkers....it’s been 11 years...

No. Those Lickliter teams shall not be forgotten.

Wife wanted to change cleaning lady’s and I had to reminder her what happened when Iowa walked away from Tom Davis. Never again. Never forget

Reactions: Burbank84

Agree. What’s the answer then? With Arkansas appearance this year, there are now 88(!) different programs who have made at least the Sweet 16 since Iowa’s last visit. 88!

I hope your right. It looks like the bench plays way better defense than starters. My fear is that longer the players are in the system the less focus on defense their is. I guess what I mean is... I can't think of many cases where the defense of players have significantly improved under fran the longer they are here. Hoping players (who have shown that can play lock down D) like JT, Perkins, KM can keep up the defensive intensity
Almost every player under Fran improved on defense. Clemmons, Wagner, and May became lock down defenders. Woodbury, Olaseni, Gesell, Garza, Uthoff, Bohannon, Oglesby, and White all improved drastically under Fran. They didn’t all become elite defenders, but I do feel that in most cases, Fran maximized their abilities on the defensive end. Cook may be an exception

The problem for the last several years is a lack of athleticism at the guard position. Fran isn’t a bad defensive coach, nor are his schemes bad. He has been limited defensively by the players that he has brought in. I expect that Iowa will become a solid team defensively in the coming years. People forget that those Gesell/Woody/Clemmons teams actually weren’t great on offense and won games on the other end of the court

You don't even know what conference he was in. CTR V has been wrong about 75 times every time you post it.

About time you figured it out. Does it make you feel better he has a losing record in the MWC vs the WAC?

Just too easy.

No. Those Lickliter teams shall not be forgotten.

Wife wanted to change cleaning lady’s and I had to reminder her what happened when Iowa walked away from Tom Davis. Never again. Never forget

If this was your 4th straight cleaning lady who your wife complained about not doing everything she wanted and this one was the best of the last 3 and performing as well as the other one, I would think you might need to talk to your wife about expectations.

There does need to be some recognition of what Iowa is as a program. We are above average, but not an elite destination. We have been in the second round 4 times under Fran (almost every other year after the initial recovery years). That’s also not counting last year, where we would have had a decent seed. If Fran keeps putting the team in that position, the odds of getting hot or catching an upset team and advancing to the sweet 16 or higher seem pretty good. We were 1 point away two years ago and didn’t get a chance last year. I’ll take those odds over trying to rebuild with a new coach.

I will be putting money on an Iowa loss, favored or not, in any future second round games coached by Franny M. Easy money.

Reactions: HawkGem10
Fran is simply awful at in game adjustments. The only way we had a shot today was to slow the game down and run thru Garza every single possession. What do we do....push and push and push against a team that has way more athletes than us.

They came in with a great game plan, and we came in with the same game plan we have every game. I’m not sure it would have mattered today anyway but it could and should have been a game.

We are going to have a huge uphill battle next year. Our staring PG in his two biggest games of the year had a combined zero points, one rebound and two assists. And five fouls. Just awful. I love Jordan but his defense has always been terrible and an athletic defender can simply shut him down. I really like CJ as well, but he did look off since he came back. Really would have liked him full strength.

Oh and defense is Sherm’s job for the most part. And he’s been awful. But then again Fran brings in ton of players that have height but sow feet. So we always give up lots of easy 3’s and struggle defending dribble penetration and kick outs. Drafting defenses to cover athletic backcourts is tough when you have that disadvantage.

This will be the best year Iowa basketball has as long as McCaffrey is coach and that is because of one reason. A once in a lifetime college bball player and work ethic in Garza, is the only reason that happened. Most of us will not see a two time B1G POY much less a 2 time National POY or two time candidate depending on the award service.

Fran gets credit for finding and recruiting Garza but the development was him and his dad. You notice nobody else in the program has that kind of development.

Unfortunately, this will give Fran another 5 years at Iowa. About a 5-6th place finish in the conference will be tops at Iowa while he is here unless the league is really down.
Iowa state is looking for great fans like you

If this was your 4th straight cleaning lady who your wife complained about not doing everything she wanted and this one was the best of the last 3 and performing as well as the other one, I would think you might need to talk to your wife about expectations.

There does need to be some recognition of what Iowa is as a program. We are above average, but not an elite destination. We have been in the second round 4 times under Fran (almost every other year after the initial recovery years). That’s also not counting last year, where we would have had a decent seed. If Fran keeps putting the team in that position, the odds of getting hot or catching an upset team and advancing to the sweet 16 or higher seem pretty good. We were 1 point away two years ago and didn’t get a chance last year. I’ll take those odds over trying to rebuild with a new coach.
Over 35 years. If my wife wanted a new housekeeper after having 4 in 34 years that had all not lived up to the one 34 years ago I wouldn't give two shits because, hell, this could be the one and I'm not getting younger. Are you so affraid of having to fire a guy after 3-4 years? The first guy on your list was born in 1938.

Edit to note: Im not a fire Fran guy but I don't like the decisions in the Athletic Department. Imo next year should have been a hard contract year but instead they resigned him. For what? The "recruits need to hear it" is bullshit. He hasn't won anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burbank84
If Iowa were smart and the AD was dialed in they would have hired a more balanced coach that could and would recruit the Chicago/Minneapolis/Detroit area's much better. The occasional Iowa kid that is good is fine but the larger urban area's are where the great athlete's are. I have not heard Iowa even mentioned for the top rated kids in the Omaha area. 1 has already committed to Wisconsin. Both of the MCaffery's seem to have been way over rated in HS. Neither appears to be B1G talent...JMO Neither 1 of them has an outside shot nor do they appear to be real athletic. Neither 1 of them would play much for a top tier power conference team.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
About time you figured it out. Does it make you feel better he has a losing record in the MWC vs the WAC?

Just too easy.

Your try for a Save doesn’t work.

Now you’ll have to actually type a new response instead of using CTR V.

Just once. Then you can CTR V away. I know new material is foreign to you.

Last edited:
I am not enamored with Frans in game coaching.
However, anyone calling for a change is too young to remember calls for Tom Davis to be fired and the subsequent Alford/Lickliter years.
Tom Davis was a much better all around coach than Fran but Davis was a lazy recruiter.

So you're saying you'd rather Iowa be Iowa State....got it!

Fran has his priorities all wrong, the Idea of the game is to win, and thinking our fan base is elated that Iowa runs up and down the court all game against teams that we don't match up well against is just plain ignorant.
Fran recruits middle of the road players and hit the jackpot with Aaron White & Luka, but recruiting race horse athletes has never been Fran's thing. At least not at Iowa.
Running with the big dogs is fun to watch but losing to them unnecessarily is far worse.

Fran’s a racist, right? Your words, not mine.

Your try for a Save doesn’t work.

Now you’ll have to actually type a new response instead of using CTR V.

Just once. Then you can CTR V away. I know new material is foreign to you.

Hey Cygotrailedagain, want to make sure Inhave this right, is your IQ so feeble that I know need to tell you when you are being set up? The obvious flies right over your head. You mean you didn’t hear that giant whooshing noise over your head?

isu pays $10m to get a coach that has a losing record in the WAC and clown fans fully support it .

We want more. We want more. We want more.

This wasn't the ceiling,.. the loss to Tennessee was higher than this,.. Will it get better?,.. don't know,.. doesn't really matter,. it's only college basketball.

Almost every player under Fran improved on defense. Clemmons, Wagner, and May became lock down defenders. Woodbury, Olaseni, Gesell, Garza, Uthoff, Bohannon, Oglesby, and White all improved drastically under Fran. They didn’t all become elite defenders, but I do feel that in most cases, Fran maximized their abilities on the defensive end. Cook may be an exception

The problem for the last several years is a lack of athleticism at the guard position. Fran isn’t a bad defensive coach, nor are his schemes bad. He has been limited defensively by the players that he has brought in. I expect that Iowa will become a solid team defensively in the coming years. People forget that those Gesell/Woody/Clemmons teams actually weren’t great on offense and won games on the other end of the court
Let's keep in mind how experienced our team was overall...

Three-point defense: Rank 231
Steals per game: Rank 260
Total PPG allowed: Tied at 224

We may have a few better defenders in our younger players but damn, we're in year 11/12. I don't know how Iowa City became a place where you go to get a job for life when accomplishments are few....

Just throwing this out there...

Yep, by that logic we should have kept Lickliter too...you can’t get a feel for a coach unless they’re around for 15+ years. Let them get 3-4 recruiting cycles under their belt at the school.

who knows where Lick would have us right now!

This is the ceiling for the OP's posting. We're all frustrated but to claim that this is the ceiling is juvenile. He seems to be looking for more athletic players, especially guards. He is always going to try and get the best talent in the state. Terrible take on a terrible day

Not sure what i juvenile, Fran has proven time and time again he can't do any better even with the best player he will ever have and the best team he will ever have he can't get out of the first weekend cause he SUCKS as a coach!

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT