ADVERTISEMENT

You really think Connor and Weiskamp are going to fix this?

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
Nothing more to say. This is as bad as the Lickliter years. Pathetic performance on a day honoring a guy with more heart than the entire team combined. Fran has lost the team, that much is clear. Need a new coach who can recruit. No shooters other than Bohannon, but Fran claimed to have more shooters than ever before. Another example of how delusional he is. This team can't stay in games to the second TV timeout in the first half.

They will certainly help. This group lacks a lot of things but in my opinion basketball IQ is right up there. Those guys seem like high IQ, team player types. Also, JW has mote talent than anyone on this team.

But yeah, it’s going to take a whole lot more to fix this debacle.

There is 0 chance adding Connor, Weiskamp and Frederick make this team any better. Athletically, these guys add nothing to a team that gets abused at all spots on the floor. You have Cook, Bohannon, and Garza to work with. The rest of the team is simply not good. Purdue could sit their starters and beat Iowa easily.

There is 0 chance adding Connor, Weiskamp and Frederick make this team any better. Athletically, these guys add nothing to a team that gets abused at all spots on the floor. You have Cook, Bohannon, and Garza to work with. The rest of the team is simply not good. Purdue could sit their starters and beat Iowa easily.

You should watch Weiskamp play sometime.

Not if they don't add a third wheel like this guy to that equation...

3a68729af8121118a5187d406134e6d6--iowa-hawkeyes-sports-pics.jpg

I kinda think they can improve it. Iowa will still suffer defensively, but the chances are the offense will flow differently via their involvement.

I mean, there literally is no way to go but up here.

If I understand correct, JW is an athletic, scoring 3 that also can handle the ball well enough there as opposed to all the guys trying to play the position for 40 minutes now.

People rant about no point guard...Iowa doesn't have a remotely close to reliable 2 or 3 either.

CMac - while he was no solution for this year's team, someone tell me if Moss, Dailey and Ellingson are B10 guards? Me personally, I'd say no. It'd been nice to at the very least find out if CMac is this year and not next.

Reactions: Iowahawkeyes1993
Like all the other shooters Fran has recruited? Even if the kid is a stud, he has no talent around him. Putting up big numbers in Iowa high school ball is not the big ten. This team is awful.

How quickly we forget... he was one of 11 all stars on the NBA top 100 camp last summer. His team was undefeated. He led them in scoring, and dropped 19 in the championship game.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Of course Iowa should improve, but I think it is asking a lot for Weiskamp to come in and create off the dribble and the defensive problems start with Fran. Lack of creators and Last place type defense are our main problems.

We will be near bottom feeder next year, but not as bad a team as this year's team.

Weiskamp is good don’t get me wrong, but teams like Purdue will just do what they do to everyone. Physical in your jock defense. JW will not blow by anyone at the next level. He is a solid shooter, but again teams will get physical with him. He will be a Robbie Hummel type guy.

CM will be an upgrade in b-ball IQ but nothing else.

This team will be the same as this year. Unless they get some leadership we are in trouble. I kind of expected it beings one of better players was a “walk-on” and wasn’t heavily recruited. That’s not a good sign when that happens

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
This might be worse than Lick years. His teams competed and played D, they just were not as talented as most of the league.

Reactions: Mcbooger
I am normally a positive guy around Hawkeye basketball, especially regarding the upcoming years. But, wow, I expected defensive problems, but not this bad. I expected 3 point shooting issues as losing Jok made up go from two great shooter to only one on the floor. I had hoped Moss could penetrate and kick, that Garza, Nunge would bring height and better rim protection and I had expected having the whole team back except one guy means each guy would be better than they were last year.
Iowa is so slow at most positions they can't defend, they struggle to dribble drive, they struggle to get open. They make so many turnovers as the team game fails and guys try one on one and force errors.
And Fran and his staff have shown they are poor coaches. They can't fix ANYTHING.
They have recruited a bunch of non talent. If you were any other big ten team who would you take off of Iowa's team to start on your team? Cook, who has many flaws, maybe. He is so hard to play with, I am not even sure I would take him for my team.
It is a sad mess and JW will not turn things around as nearly all the problems I mentioned will be back next year!

Of course Iowa should improve, but I think it is asking a lot for Weiskamp to come in and create off the dribble and the defensive problems start with Fran. Lack of creators and Last place type defense are our main problems.

We will be near bottom feeder next year, but not as bad a team as this year's team.
Putting too much on Weiskamp to ask him to be the savior of the program. He is going to face a monumental step up in competition from what he sees in high school. Fortunately, he has all that AAU ball and elite camp PT where he's held his own.
But, he's going to need a LOT of help beyond what the current roster can provide.
They need a B1G caliber pg that is athletic, drive/dish, and can at least slow down other B1G points. They also need a supporting guard that can reliably step in at the point who is a top level defender, quick and athletic. If by some miracle they can pull in those two pieces to go along with a Weiskamp that lives up to his ranking, and there is actual improvement from some of the remaining roster, then they might actually be middle of the pack B1G competitive next year.

My point is less about Weiskamp's abilities and more about the lack of talent on this roster. This is reminiscent of the awful teams Gatens played on. Why would Cook come back? I would gladly sit out a year to have a shot at not being dreadful. Fran is really helping recruiting out--for the other big ten schools.

Fran, Jr. coming back will help tremendously. He, JW, and JB. Two of them must be on floor at all times. Moss can play Uhl's role. Kid has no fire, sit down.

The roster is terribly designed and Weiskamp fixes nothing. Blow it up now and start fresh. We’ll always have the play-in game that wasn’t a play-in game.

I really this team will be a lot better with Conner and Weiscamp. Moss and Dailey aren't good either is Ellingson JBO is literally the only guard we have. A lineup of
PG Conner
SG JBO
SF Weiscamp
PF Cook
C Garza
Is going to be a lot better if he actually plays them:
Conner 30 minutes
JBO 34 minutes
Weiscamp 30 minutes
Cook 32 minutes
Garza 30 minutes

Baer 12 minutes
Moss 8 minutes
Dailey 6 minutes
Nunge 10 minutes
Kriener 8 minutes

Reactions: unIowa
You should watch Weiskamp play sometime.

Wieskamp is very good. Very good. But having him on the team with everybody the same but Uhl will lead to minimal improved results. Rebuilding years happen, but this one has a whole different feel to it. There is no fight, no belief, no nothing. As a whole, the roster is so outclassed athletically as to be comical. Iowa actually played harder today, they are just that much worse than Purdue.

It's not as bad as the Lickliter years, where there was literally no hope. But it's not far behind. It's as if this team thought it was much better than it really was going into the year. And the team has just been depantsed time after time. One would think a hint would have when Iowa was behind Lafayette 37-17 at halftime. But the play hasn't really improved much at all since that day. Today was the first really good opponent Iowa has played all year, and it was never a contest. Yes, Ohio State and Michigan are pretty good, but Purdue is a legitimate Top 10 team. The chasm between that level of play and Iowa is just unbelievable.

Reactions: GRT2B1 and hawkhorn
Wieskamp is very good. Very good. But having him on the team with everybody the same but Uhl will lead to minimal improved results. Rebuilding years happen, but this one has a whole different feel to it. There is no fight, no belief, no nothing. As a whole, the roster is so outclassed athletically as to be comical. Iowa actually played harder today, they are just that much worse than Purdue.

It's not as bad as the Lickliter years, where there was literally no hope. But it's not far behind. It's as if this team thought it was much better than it really was going into the year. And the team has just been depantsed time after time. One would think a hint would have when Iowa was behind Lafayette 37-17 at halftime. But the play hasn't really improved much at all since that day. Today was the first really good opponent Iowa has played all year, and it was never a contest. Yes, Ohio State and Michigan are pretty good, but Purdue is a legitimate Top 10 team. The chasm between that level of play and Iowa is just unbelievable.

Agreed! Weiskamp is a great player in HS, but he will not be able to rebound and get open shots like he is in HS. The AAU circuit is a cool thing, but it’s still not the same as Div 1. Guys like PU has will shut him down.

Agreed! Weiskamp is a great player in HS, but he will not be able to rebound and get open shots like he is in HS. The AAU circuit is a cool thing, but it’s still not the same as Div 1. Guys like PU has will shut him down.

He will be a great Hawk, but every player needs guys around him. He is not a program changer all by himself. The answer people don't want to hear is that the team is just not good enough. It would help if Fran shortened the rotation, but Fran hasn't recruited enough good players. Period, end of story. Cook is the only player who would play a lot for a good Big 10 team. There is no quick fix for where this team is. It will take another 2 years minimum until Iowa is at a level where it can compete to get in the NCAA tournament again. If Cook decides to leave this off-season, things go from bad to the end of the Fran era, just depends on when it happens.

No.

Only thing that will fix this is a total change in program philosophy. Sustained winning programs start with defense and toughness, period.

Why?

Because when defense and toughness are the cornerstones of your program, each and every day of practice the team itself has to work against defense and toughness.

As a result, offensive fundamentals like how to catch the ball, how to hold the ball, how to create space versus pressure to shoot it or move it, how to drive & probe and get to spots, how to cut, how to finish — all these and more become finely honed by going against strong, tough, competitive defense. They don't get honed going 5-on-0, going against cones or coaches, or even going against relatively poor, weak defense. I suspect Iowa gets only bad habits going against themselves in practice.

Defense and toughness also provides a sturdy base confidence both individually and collectively. If I know that good day or bad day I'm going to have a chance to win because I'm going to make life difficult for you on your offensive end, well I'm feeling pretty good.

Great defense also takes a lot of pressure off of your offense. Make no mistake, part of the reason Purdue shot that insane percentage today is because they don't care if they miss. They don't care because they know they have a strong likelihood of turning around and getting a stop.

Iowa kids came out and played hard, and yet, before Dakich could get his larynx loose, they were down 20. Sure, Purdue couldn't miss. But, also, Iowa couldn't score. Iowa appears totally unprepared — mentally, physically, fundamentally — to play against good defense. Why? Going back to my earlier point — it is, I have to believe, because they don't face it day in and day out in practice. They don't face it over the summer or early fall or late fall when a team's (and program's) foundation is set.

Fran has to change how he does things.

Fvck it I'm rambling. A few years ago when Iowa was sent to Brooklyn I went to the day of open practices. Watched Temple, SF Austin, ND, Villanova and Iowa. I'll never forget it. Villanova is the 2 seed and Iowa's likely opponent should both win. Iowa coaches are in the gym just a section over from me. As I'm watching Villanova, who is putting on an absolute clinic on how to prepare, I occasionally look over to see what Iowa's staff is doing. The Iowa staff might as well have been in Iowa. They paid little to no attention, not even the younger coaches. I was a little shocked and a lot concerned. Not even the younger coaches appeared interested in what one of the best programs (and coaches) in the country might have to offer.

Of course they found out a few nights later what Villanova offered.

Next year Wagner, Ellingson, Pemsl should just not play honestly

Cook needs to learn what he is. Rebound, post move or dunk, he literally can't put the ball on the court or pass. he should be a 12-15 point scorer and just sit under the basket he tries to much to put up points.

Garza needs to be a stretch 4 like he did in the 2nd half today. His flaw: can't play defense. I think he could be a great scoring option. Him and cook could compliment each other well. And honestly there both young and have time to improve on these things.

Our biggest flaw: JBO is not a point guard. Moss is terrible. Dailey is terrible. We have no guards. Conner hopefully can help and Weiscamp will be a good 3. Conner, JBO, Weiscamp, Baer, front court could be the awnser. But downlow cook and Garza our are guys. Kreiner is a backup. Pemsl is terrible. Nunge is terrible right now but I think he has good upside. This team is young and don't know there games yet. I've gotten pretty discouraged these last few games but really we can only go up.

I really this team will be a lot better with Conner and Weiscamp. Moss and Dailey aren't good either is Ellingson JBO is literally the only guard we have. A lineup of
PG Conner
SG JBO
SF Weiscamp
PF Cook
C Garza
Is going to be a lot better if he actually plays them:
Conner 30 minutes
JBO 34 minutes
Weiscamp 30 minutes
Cook 32 minutes
Garza 30 minutes

Baer 12 minutes
Moss 8 minutes
Dailey 6 minutes
Nunge 10 minutes
Kriener 8 minutes
This assumes that Moss and Dailey will stay, when they see their minutes cut or remain low. Williams didn't.
I'm not even sure Cook comes back. Even the D-league looks better than this, next year. Or playing over seas.

The highlight of the day was getting to see some of the past Iowa Letter winners and Coach Davis. CHA crew again right on top of things as the speakers on the West side of the arena were not working properly. Had to listen to echos from the other side.

Nothing more to say. This is as bad as the Lickliter years. Pathetic performance on a day honoring a guy with more heart than the entire team combined. Fran has lost the team, that much is clear. Need a new coach who can recruit. No shooters other than Bohannon, but Fran claimed to have more shooters than ever before. Another example of how delusional he is. This team can't stay in games to the second TV timeout in the first half.
yeah I think those two in a real talented small forward real athletic can actually shoot and rebound bring bear Off the Bench and we'd be improved 100%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT