ADVERTISEMENT

Zadick!

Outstanding news. Making Iowa and Montana proud. A great Hawkeye, from a great wrestling family who has been coaching in one capacity or another with USA wrestling (since 2008 I think) and worked his way up the ladder. Another wrestler proving that hard work and dedication pay off. Congrats Bill.

I've been pulling for Zadick to get this for a couple years. Glad he's getting his shot. I'm pretty sure this is why Slay is leaving as well. You're right, this would be a great job for Metcalf for a couple years and then return to Iowa City in a couple years.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Kudos to Bill! While it probably would be an excellent opportunity I hope Metcalf does stay that one more year, but having two former Hawks in Colorado says a hell of a lot about Iowa's program.

I don't see Brent having the resume for a job like that.

Since he graduated(2010), he has been the U.S. representative at 65/66kg in 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015. In 2011 and 2012 he took 2nd at the Trials. Over that time he has wrestled, and medaled, ALL OVER THE PLACE Internationally.

He may not have won a World Medal, but I would say his resume, along with his recent freestyle experience on the mat, make him a great candidate for an Assistant Coach.

Since he graduated(2010), he has been the U.S. representative at 65/66kg in 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015. In 2011 and 2012 he took 2nd at the Trials. Over that time he has wrestled, and medaled, ALL OVER THE PLACE Internationally.

He may not have won a World Medal, but I would say his resume, along with his recent freestyle experience on the mat, make him a great candidate for an Assistant Coach.

He's never won a world or Olympic medal and he's never coached. That's going to hurt his chances. Brent's a good guy and will make for a good coach but those things could hold him back should he want the job.

Reactions: Hawkeyecurtis81
We had great candidates and it was a difficult decision," said Les Gutches, USA Wrestling Associate Executive Director for Programs and Strategy. "When it came to the final three candidates, we were impressed by all of them.

Who were the other 2 guys Zadick beat out?

We had great candidates and it was a difficult decision," said Les Gutches, USA Wrestling Associate Executive Director for Programs and Strategy. "When it came to the final three candidates, we were impressed by all of them.

Who were the other 2 guys Zadick beat out?

I believe Lou Rosseli and Kenny Monday

I love Brent in the room too but at some point, he needs to make his bones if we want him to come back post Brands. Rather him do it for the U.S. than a rival.

Agreed. Ramos now has the upper hand in the coaching experience now that he has a gig. I've always considered it a race between Metcalf and Ramos to replace Brands for some reason.

Agreed. Ramos now has the upper hand in the coaching experience now that he has a gig. I've always considered it a race between Metcalf and Ramos to replace Brands for some reason.
Ramos? Not a chance. You'd be looking at Metcalf and/or Matt McD long before Tony Ramos IMO, and that ship has since sailed. He has zero shot at being Iowa's Head Coach now or down the road IMO, and frankly I don't think he ever did. His resume doesn't shout Iowa's Head Coach. No offense to Tony Ramos, I've just never thought of him in that light. Others may see it differently, to each his own.

Reactions: Chuck C

Tony Ramos' chances of being the head coach at Iowa are about the same as MNHAWK settling down with Eva Longoria. Not happening.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
An assistant coach is a considerably different animal than a head coach. Assistants need to be able to relate wrestlers much more on a social level. I think anyone with the vast and, also, recent experience that Metcalf has could be invaluable.

Also, being a national freestyle assistant is considerably different than a DI assistant. He won't get nearly the one on one time since most train at their own RTC. Still, he has gone through the two most recent Olympic cycles and he would be as knowledgeable as anyone as to what works and what doesn't. Although, I agree he has yet to prove he can coach, he is still one of the strongest candidates I could imagine for that position.

Reactions: Kozisek
Not many guys beyond Burroughs (among Metcalf's generation) are qualified plus available. Varner? Herbert?

We'll see, got a lot of time to heal before we'll need a new coach. I can see Tony coming back in some capacity coaching wise down the road. When he's done competing obviously. I don't know who would be the better coach between the two or three if we include McD, but like I said he currently has a leg up in the experience race.

We'll see, got a lot of time to heal before we'll need a new coach. I can see Tony coming back in some capacity coaching wise down the road. When he's done competing obviously. I don't know who would be the better coach between the two or three if we include McD, but like I said he currently has a leg up in the experience race.
I don't see it. While I don't wish any ill will upon Tony at all, Brent and Matt are light years ahead of him where loyalty to, and respect for, the program are concerned. They've demonstrated a higher level of character, IMO, as well. I think these traits far outweigh any brief coaching history.

You are probably the only one.

I don't know who'll be a better Coach either, but I'm confident in saying you won't ever see Tony Ramos in that capacity in Iowa City. I'd bet the farm on it, were I the owner of one.........................:D

Too many other candidates with better credentials who didn't do what he did on the way out the door (I have a hunch his shenanigans didn't play well with the powers that be in Iowa Wrestling - regardless of public acknowledgements and such - I'll bet those conversations had a whole different tone to them behind closed doors).

Metcalf is well respected and if you don't think he hasn't been doing any coaching I think you are wrong.

He's never won a world or Olympic medal and he's never coached. That's going to hurt his chances. Brent's a good guy and will make for a good coach but those things could hold him back should he want the job.
Brent has a better resume prior to coaching than Tom Ryan did in the areas of NCAA and world freestyle credentials. The difference is that Ryan was 25 I believe when he took the Hofstra job, which gave him the experience necessary to get the tOSU gig ten years later.

I still think Brent would make a great coach, and it sounds like he will go in that direction next spring unless he receives an offer he cannot refuse. I can easily see him go to a university that is top 15-25 who hopes he can drive them to top 10. Maryland or MSU, while outside the top 25, would be an ideal place to build a reputation. You can't do worse than your predecessor, and you're a coach in the Big Ten.

Brent has a better resume prior to coaching than Tom Ryan did in the areas of NCAA and world freestyle credentials. The difference is that Ryan was 25 I believe when he took the Hofstra job, which gave him the experience necessary to get the tOSU gig ten years later.

I still think Brent would make a great coach, and it sounds like he will go in that direction next spring unless he receives an offer he cannot refuse. I can easily see him go to a university that is top 15-25 who hopes he can drive them to top 10. Maryland or MSU, while outside the top 25, would be an ideal place to build a reputation. You can't do worse than your predecessor, and you're a coach in the Big Ten.

I think the point Spooner was making is that typically USA Wrestling tends to hire guys that do have World or Olympic medals and a little pre-existing experience as a coach. Brent probably does have the resume to be hired by a Hofstra or non-power program head coach, but I believe this exchange was related to coaching for USA, not college.

Hofstra...USA wrestling...potato...potatoe...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT