ADVERTISEMENT

Zalesky Out at Oregon State?

Neo_Hawk

HR MVP
Nov 11, 2014
NE Ohio
Just saw a tweet by Willie. Sad if true but not surprising. All time great Hawk wrestler. Wish he would have stayed closer, OSU is a long way from most talent these days, gotta be a tough sell to recruits.

The program has a great history but just not much happening in the NE and I don't see that changing any time soon. Be in or around the Big10 or it's a tough road to hoe.

Reactions: 24 so far
Agree is sad. Always like him.
Hope he finds a new home something should
open for him. Minnesota but there AD not interested in wrestling program..
Wish JIm the best of luck and hope finds another school.
Like to see him back in big ten really .

Reactions: pahawk68
Just saw a tweet by Willie. Sad if true but not surprising. All time great Hawk wrestler. Wish he would have stayed closer, OSU is a long way from most talent these days, gotta be a tough sell to recruits.
One of the ABSOLUTE All-Time great Hawkeye's is right.

He seems very laid back, maybe to his detriment as a Coach(?). No idea, I just wish him well wherever he lands or whatever he does.

Agree with the nice thoughts about Jim, super guy, one of the all time best college wrestlers ever. Sorry to see that...hopefully he can find something he is happy doing. Perhaps he and Barry Davis could get together and co-coach somewhere?

I'd think Oregon State should be able to get some good candidates if they're willing to pay the next HC similar to that.

Though I agree that McD is a great guy, is he that level of a candidate? He's only been coaching for two years and it hasn't even been as a lead assistant. He also has no ties to the area.
Nobody has any ties to the area when it comes to College Wrestling do they?

Though I agree that McD is a great guy, is he that level of a candidate? He's only been coaching for two years and it hasn't even been as a lead assistant. He also has no ties to the area.

I’ve seen some interest in high school wrestling since moving to Oregon. I’ve watched Iowa duals in sports bars and met people with kids who wrestle.

Oregon has potential, imo. I just wish the U of O would start programs for men again and women as well. That would jumpstart the local junior scene.

If you were a potential coach that enjoyed the great outdoors and the natural beauty of the NW...I could see this being a decent job. Elk hunting, salmon fishing, etc...how about Derek St. John, Brett Metcalf or one of the Zadick's? (Although I am not sure about the raccoon population in Orgeon...so maybe scratch Mike. :) :))

Reactions: Spens
I think he will be a good one. I would take the chance. A learning curve maybe but a young energetic guy can overcome that. I admit it would be somewhat of a gamble.

I would hope that if he still wants to coach that Gable would help him land some where.

If you were a potential coach that enjoyed the great outdoors and the natural beauty of the NW...I could see this being a decent job. Elk hunting, salmon fishing, etc...how about Derek St. John, Brett Metcalf or one of the Zadick's? (Although I am not sure about the raccoon population in Orgeon...so maybe scratch Mike. :) :))
Stop, you're describing Ironside.

Reactions: natchrlman
Stop, you're describing Ironside.

True...but he has roots down here in Eastern Iowa pretty good. I would not see him moving his family to a faraway land at this time...AND he hasn't been a FT coach either.

Also, I don't think his schedule as a radio announcer for the Hawks would allow for him to be coaching in Oregon...think man, think. :) :)

No one associated with college wrestling has ties to Oregon?

A successful businessman in his mid 40s who hasn't really ever coached before is going to pack up and move to take the Oregon State job?
Spit it out. Who are they? Lets see the list.

Not saying there aren't any, but a who's who of College Wrestling from Oregon doesn't jump off the page for me, so who are "they".

Not saying there aren't any, but a who's who of College Wrestling from Oregon doesn't jump off the page for me, so who are "they".

Well, Les Gutches for one. He has been quietly working with USA Wrestling for years and I can see him throwing his hat in the ring. He was a national champ at OSU. But, your point is well taken. I think the job is open to all comers.

Also, Oregon is a fantastic place to live. I think it is the number one or two state with people moving to it right now. Mountains, ocean, world class wine, and unlimited fishing/hunting.

Wrestling is very popular in Oregon. Travis Whitlake, Sam Colbray and Tyler Berger are all recent Oregon high school wrestlers. Crescent Valley, in Corvallis, is the state’s powerhouse for high school wrestling. They just won another state team title. Utah and California are close and have loads of talent.

Also, the OSU wrestling program is FULLY ENDOWED! Not many programs can say that.

It is not PSU, Iowa or Oklahoma State, but it is a good wrestling job. I am anxious to see who fills it.

I don't know what constitutes "a list" but in just a minute of thinking:

Taylor Meeks wrestled at Oregon State and has been on the coaching staff there
Josh Rhoden at Clackamas has won three NJCAA team titles, including the last two
Zac Brunson is from Oregon has been on the Illinois staff at currently works (runs?) Poeta in Illinois
Tyler Berger is from Oregon and coaches at Nebraska

Reactions: el dub
Best wishes Z
They arent great now but
Oregon State got 4th at nattys in '79 back when they had Dan Hicks who beat Trizzino in OT in finals. Kinseth beat Dick Knorr in finals. In 1980 Hwt. Howard Harris won natty

Got a very distant 2nd in 1995 with Gutches and Bobak Mohammedi.

Not too many great guys lately except the great UFC peoples champion Colby "chaos" Covington. Guy is crazy but got humbled by Usman in a very good fight.

When Z was fired at Iowa he had bitter feelings for Gable as he felt Dan orchestrated his dismissal. Not sure if things have been patched up. If so Dan most certainly would help him land a job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT