ADVERTISEMENT

Zane/Clark

Thomas Gilman said he gets personally disrespected whenever anyone steps on the mat against him, thus implying they are not in his league and should just forfeit and I love him for it. Go Hawks!

My 2 cents:

Agree with WWDM regarding the only think that was overboard was Zane saying Clark "wasn't in my league." Zero AA for Zane vs 2 for Clark, plus Clark the runnerup last year. So Zane barely beats Clark in OT, with Clark coming off an injury. Absurd on the face of it.

Everything else said by Zane was just self confidence, the kind of thing we love when it comes from Metcalf, Ramos, or Gilman, as it often has in the past.

As far as Ramos v Zane in past ncaa... "nearly lost" or "close" etc.... kind of semantics, but I think any match that goes into OT is almost by definition not in control. A little mistake, with so little time... I remember watching that match and being very concerned Ramos could lose.

I'll ask Brands tomorrow at his presser if he constitutes that as "nearly defeated." Any other questions you'd like asked? Progress regarding Grothus perhaps?
I wrestled Cael S. and only got pinned. But i nearly had him in a tie up and ready to throw him to his back for a pin. And then they blew the whistle. I guess that means i almost pinned him?

Reactions: andegre
I already know the difference between an injury default and a medical forfeit. I do, however, concur with your thoughts regarding "KABOOM". And I'm sure that word is being echoed throughout the locker room to the entire squad because the Hawks are going to need more "KABOOMS" if they intend on winning the NCAA's.
Would you like to put something on the Big10 or nationals on where Illinois or Iowa finishes higher. Oh, like most of your posts, it's all noise and you can't afford to back it up. You'll probably come back you're really a Penn State backer and they're your pick:)

This. If this comes out of Sorensen's mouth after his match with Tsirtsis at Midlands every naysayer here eats it up, or at least defends him when PSU faithful or others come to trash him.

I took that interview the exact opposite as most of you, and have to agree with 9hawks. Richards sounded like a hawk and kind of made me wish he was on our team (not in place of Clark, I'll still take Clark in a rematch). His comments weren't necessarily even directed at Clark. To me that's just practice room talk that he hears everyday. The type of stuff that Perry was in his ear about prior to the match and probably afterward. "Get to your stuff", "Nobody trains like you", "Nobody is in your league", "believe in yourself and be ready to go", "Match didn't even have to be that close", "believe in your program and the whole system"...

That's the type of stuff that I've grown accustomed to hearing come out of the mouth of Hawkeyes, and I enjoy it. Kudos to Richards on a big win. Hope Clark gets him next time.
Well then f***ing make our wrestlers do that (or make our coaches make our wrestlers do that)......................thank you.

Reactions: McCulloughd
Would you like to put something on the Big10 or nationals on where Illinois or Iowa finishes higher. Oh, like most of your posts, it's all noise and you can't afford to back it up. You'll probably come back you're really a Penn State backer and they're your pick:)

Do yourself a favor and save your money. But then again, if you want to lose some money feel free to make your selections between the Hawks and the Illini, whether it's the Big Tens or Nationals. I'm game.

I WILL NEVER SHY AWAY FROM ANY OF MY POSTS. If a SV-1, 6-4 score isn't indicative of "nearly defeated" than we have significant VOCABULARY differences.

Let me ask you, was Sorenson's victory on Sunday against Tsirtsis a victory via injury default or was it a medical forfeit. INJURY DEFAULT!!!! A medical forfeit relates to not competing further in a tournament after suffering an earlier injury.

McIlravy and Bono went overtime in the 1997 finals. I was there and I assure you Bono did not almost beat McIlravy - it was just a matter of time before Lincoln won. [For the record those two wrestled 10 plus times and Bono never tookdown McIlravy]

Tsirtis goes to SV with a lot of guys that did not almost beat him. Morningstar went overtime with Andrew Howe just around every time they wrestled, yet Ryan never really came close to beating him.

Your premise sucks.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and save your money. But then again, if you want to lose some money feel free to make your selections between the Hawks and the Illini, whether it's the Big Tens or Nationals. I'm game.

I'm in line behind rafferty!

Reactions: pinters
Guys, I know many like to argue semantics but it is fair to say that if you are tied after 7 minutes of wrestling that you almost won the match. That doesn't mean you can say you should have won or deserved to win the match. ' Also, it's not like the match was 1-1 going into OT. It was 4-4 and Richards had taken down Ramos. The better and more deserving wrestler won, but the match was close enough for someone to make a pretty good argument for Richards coming close to winning................

Guys, I know many like to argue semantics but it is fair to say that if you are tied after 7 minutes of wrestling that you almost won the match. That doesn't mean you can say you should have won or deserved to win the match. ' Also, it's not like the match was 1-1 going into OT. It was 4-4 and Richards had taken down Ramos. The better and more deserving wrestler won, but the match was close enough for someone to make a pretty good argument for Richards coming close to winning................
If you weren't on the list before, you are now....

I disagree..............You could just as easily say "if you are tied after 7 minutes of wrestling that you almost LOST the match." That would be exactly the same fairness involved, but with a 180 degree different outcome. So I think your premise is wrong because both of those positions have an equal claim to being correct and that can't possibly be true can it

I think the fault in the argument is in using score only to justify saying that he almost won. You cannot make that statement with that small amount of information.

Example: A wrestler could have taken 10 shots to 0 for his opponent and the score still be tied 0-0 only because his opponent played the edge and he couldn't finish in bounds, almost had the TD but time ran out, etc. The opponent could have backward facing track shoes on and done nothing but run and by score alone you could make the statement that he almost won. I think you need to look at the action of the match to make any kind of statement about "having almost won".. Well,at least if you are trying to be honest.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Is the glass half full or is it half empty? Did you almost win or did the other guy almost lose? Just depends which side of the fence your standing on.

My thoughts....

I'm fine with a guy saying that he's training hard and feels that he can beat anyone that comes out to the mat, but not by saying that they aren't in his league. I believe that the head to head is tied, and it's already been stated that Cory comes ready when the lights come on in tourney time (Last years 8-2 win in Big Tens should show him that).

I guess I'm in the group that likes the wrestlers like Metcalf that just shake a hand and walk off, showing that celebrating and talking shows that he doesn't belong amongst the winners. Just kick a$# and then leave.

But I am GLAD that Richards said this. I do think he's a good wrestler, but when Cory meets him again, it's not going to be pretty, as he'll be full force, and pissed.

Also, if I win the Powerball, if you give me a like, I promise that I won't share the jackpot with any of you :) GO HAWKS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT