ADVERTISEMENT

“I’d rather sit down with Hannibal Lecter and eat my own liver”, GOP House Member on Attending GOP Annual Retreat

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007

Majority Of House Republicans To Skip Annual Retreat​

March 12, 2024 Infighting Is Funny, Republicans

Axios reports:
The House GOP is in turmoil ahead of its policy retreat in West Virginia on Wednesday, with attendance expected to be sparse and a keynote speaker dropping out. Fewer than 100 GOP lawmakers are expected to be in attendance at the three-day event, which is aimed at unifying the conference and crafting policy goals outside of the Capitol grounds.
The issues conference will be hosted at the Greenbriar Resort in West Virginia after being held at locations in Florida for several years.
One GOP member argued that moving their conference discussions from the Capitol to a resort with alcohol could exacerbate infighting between members. “I’d rather sit down with Hannibal Lecter and eat my own liver,” the source said.

Republicans have complained about the venue choice. Sources said Speaker Mike Johnson selected the Greenbrier Resort because it was “family friendly,” in a break from past retreats which have taken place in sunny Florida – the preferred location of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

And other GOP lawmakers and aides told CNN they were simply not enthusiastic about the idea of having to huddle with the rest of their party at a time when Republican infighting has prevented them from even passing procedural votes.

In a remarkable split screen, firebrand GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida will be attending a rally in Texas on Thursday in support of Brandon Herrera, a far-right candidate who is challenging GOP Rep. Tony Gonzales.

John Stamos Smile GIF by Grandfathered

Reactions: Moral
Rural West Virginia fits today’s GQP perfectly, and no earthly temptations to distract Johnson

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT