ADVERTISEMENT

“the predictable result of simple physics”

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
The science is in, and we are effed.

In the past seventy years, the United States has averaged three land-falling storms a year; Ida is the seventeenth in the past two years.

Amid the torrent of news reports and Webcam photos and anguished GoFundMe appeals, it’s worth reminding ourselves that this calamity is the predictable result of simple physics. Hurricanes, as Emanuel pointed out, draw their power from heat in the ocean.

If there’s more heat, the hurricane can get stronger. Physics. Warm air can hold more water than cold air can. So in warm, arid areas you get more evaporation, and hence more drought, and hence more fire. Physics.

The water that’s been evaporated into the atmosphere comes down: more flooding rainfall. Physics.

The earth runs on energy. We’re trapping more of it near the planet’s surface because of the carbon dioxide that comes from burning coal and gas and oil. That energy expresses itself in melting ice sheets, in rising seas, in the incomprehensible roar of the wind as a giant storm crashes into a city of steel and glass. It’s not, in the end, all that complicated.

ows_15653919029497.jpg

I'm thankful that everyone who cares so much has given up all the things that they use that make it worse. I mean surely they wouldn't just loudly blame other people without taking action themselves right? Right!?!?

I'm thankful that everyone who cares so much has given up all the things that they use that make it worse. I mean surely they wouldn't just loudly blame other people without taking action themselves right? Right!?!?
Hey, those important people can get to more private fund raising events in their private jets. Raising awareness is more important than taking actual steps to improve the situation.

Reactions: DooBi
Of course everyone should do what they can individually.

But much like winning the Cold War, developing the interstate highway system or putting a man on the moon, this challenge is of such scale that only concerted and cooperative action by government - indeed, MULTIPLE governments - will be necessary to make an actual difference. If you oppose that notion, you are most definitely part of the problem. If you didn’t realize that was the case, you are either ignorant or being willfully obtuse.

Hey look at you trying to shout down people who care. Your exxon stocks doing well?

Reactions: TheCainer
The poor redneck in the sticks that doesn’t give a rip about global warming has a smaller carbon footprint than almost all the people that broadcast it 24/7.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
The poor redneck in the sticks that doesn’t give a rip about global warming has a smaller carbon footprint than almost all the people that broadcast it 24/7.
And will also eventually be more adversely affected by it than the wealthy. He would be well-advised to start caring.

I would say quit being a f'n idiot but that's a lot like telling water to stop being wet.

• Haha
Reactions: LesClaypool
And will also eventually be more adversely affected by it than the wealthy. He would be well-advised to start caring.
He should start caring while the wealthy elites who are vocal about the issue do nothing to curb their carbon footprint. Makes sense.

GFY

I guarantee that you don't recycle and everything goes in the trash
Is recycling still a thing? I had heard that the separated stuff was ending up in the landfill because several years back the Chinese got out of the business of accepting the world's trash:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) — Recycling in Tallahassee and Leon County could be in trouble. Marpan Recycling currently processes the area's recycled items, but the company is telling both governments the single-stream system is no longer economically viable.

This is an issue many communities have faced across the nation, including Bainbridge in Georgia.

Although there are a lot of factors at play, one of the most important is China's decision back in 2018 to stop buying single-stream recycling materials from the U.S.

That decision has put a major economic strain on the market in local communities.

In Marpan's letter to both governments, President and CEO Kim Williams writes, "With the markets continuing to deteriorate, Marpan Recycling does not have the ability to continue absorbing the losses and will be forced to cease operations and terminate our contract due to circumstances beyond our control."

I would say quit being a f'n idiot but that's a lot like telling water to stop being wet.
Well here's the deal. If we wanted to do something about this, you and I and about 2 billion other people on this planet would have to completely change our lifestyle. Since you are unwilling to do that and I'm un willing, and 2 billion other people are unwilling, then all you are doing is screaming and tearing your hair out like a 4 year old. How's that working for you?

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Well here's the deal. If we wanted to do something about this, you and I and about 2 billion other people on this planet would have to completely change our lifestyle. Since you are unwilling to do that and I'm un willing, and 2 billion other people are unwilling, then all you are doing is screaming and tearing your hair out like a 4 year old. How's that working for you?
LOL...don't use me or anyone else to justify your stance. Just say, "I don't give a fvck". At least make an attempt to be honest. Then you could ignore threads like these.

Is recycling still a thing? I had heard that the separated stuff was ending up in the landfill because several years back the Chinese got out of the business of accepting the world's trash:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) — Recycling in Tallahassee and Leon County could be in trouble. Marpan Recycling currently processes the area's recycled items, but the company is telling both governments the single-stream system is no longer economically viable.

This is an issue many communities have faced across the nation, including Bainbridge in Georgia.

Although there are a lot of factors at play, one of the most important is China's decision back in 2018 to stop buying single-stream recycling materials from the U.S.

That decision has put a major economic strain on the market in local communities.

In Marpan's letter to both governments, President and CEO Kim Williams writes, "With the markets continuing to deteriorate, Marpan Recycling does not have the ability to continue absorbing the losses and will be forced to cease operations and terminate our contract due to circumstances beyond our control."
Our plastics that get “recycled” usually ends up in overseas landfills

LOL...don't use me or anyone else to justify your stance. Just say, "I don't give a fvck". At least make an attempt to be honest. Then you could ignore threads like these.
Lol as if you're giving up your lifestyle. It is you who needs to be honest.

But it’s a hoax and fake news! Ain’t no way belching billions of pounds of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere could have consequences!

imagine your child using this logic. If everyone else is doing it...WTF....
You should look at this more from the optics of where is there the most money to be made. Green technologies that will trickle down to poorer nations when cheap enough.
This is "trickle down" economics that republicans should get behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT