ADVERTISEMENT

#1 OU goes down by 11

• Thread starter anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
  • Start date
Agreed! It shouldn't even be necessary to refute the notion of a mental advantage in this scenario
It shouldn't be necessary to have the scenario in the first place. The teams played. One team won. Both teams have changed. Both teams might well change again. You guys need to get over that game. It's only one game, and it's a non-conference game. Losing at Iowa State hasn't damaged Iowa or Oklahoma or Kansas in terms of the ratings.

Good heavens, I haven't seen the UNI game discussed on the ISU boards since the week it happened, and that was one hell of a lot worse loss than Iowa losing at ISU.

If ISU and UNI played tomorrow, ISU would be favored regardless of the outcome when they played. Similarly, if ISU and SUI played tomorrow, the Hawkeyes would be favored -- especially if McKay were suspended, but even if he weren't. But the conversation is ridiculous because those games aren't going to be played tomorrow.....or any other time this year, most likely. If it somehow works out that there's a rematch in the NCAA tournament, then it will make sense to discuss it. Until then, nyet.

Reactions: RocknRollface
At the end of the day you clones can keep dreaming about your mental toughness(coughmckaycough), and your superiority after your floor storming 1 point victory. I'm busy enjoying life in the top 5 and currently being on pace for a conference title and a number one seed. You should try it some time.

Deep down you know it kills YOU, because this was suppose to be your year. Don't believe me, take 10 minutes and read a few threads on Cyclone Fanatic. I can honestly say it's hilarious.

It shouldn't be necessary to have the scenario in the first place. The teams played. One team won. Both teams have changed. Both teams might well change again. You guys need to get over that game. It's only one game, and it's a non-conference game. Losing at Iowa State hasn't damaged Iowa or Oklahoma or Kansas in terms of the ratings.

Good heavens, I haven't seen the UNI game discussed on the ISU boards since the week it happened, and that was one hell of a lot worse loss than Iowa losing at ISU.

If ISU and UNI played tomorrow, ISU would be favored regardless of the outcome when they played. Similarly, if ISU and SUI played tomorrow, the Hawkeyes would be favored -- especially if McKay were suspended, but even if he weren't. But the conversation is ridiculous because those games aren't going to be played tomorrow.....or any other time this year, most likely. If it somehow works out that there's a rematch in the NCAA tournament, then it will make sense to discuss it. Until then, nyet.
This conversation was about Oklahoma, and Iowa being the overall #1 seed. The only reason Isu was brought up was because, once again, an Isu troll brought them up. The reason Uni isn't brought up on your board all the time, is because Uni fans aren't flocking to your board, acting like dbags after every win. Even garbage wins like yesterday. Heather burnside on the radio, talked about how Iowa has stolen Iowa states dream season. It's absolutely true and killing Isu fans right now. I'd also like to add that I still think okie is the best team in the country, and the big 12 is very very good.

Last edited:
Only at Iowa State can a Super Bowl game also be a basketball game in early December.

All that typing to tell us the obvious?!? And here's a news flash....we fans are long over that game and more importantly, I am sure the Iowa players are too judging by how they have responded since then. So quit trying to create finger pointing out of something that isn't there. As another poster just said, this thread wasn't even discussing ISU until some of your ISU brethren came on here and started the usual trash talk about beating us.

You keep beating your drum about a mental advantage. Bull. Do you realize the average home court advantage in college BB is worth between 3 and 6 points, depending on venue? We all realize the Hilton venue has a rowdy, passionate venue, so I'd put the advantage closer to 6. We lost by one. Put the game on a neutral court and you tell me which team's players have this supposed mental advantage. You are either lying to yourself about welcoming a rematch or are on an island with very few others. I desparately hope Iowa gets that 2nd chance just to see you and other obnoxious Clone fans like you get a taste of humble pie.
Not between these two teams.... You can throw out any advantage as evidenced by the blowout in Carver last year. Clones have the mental advantage even if the game is played on the moon. Our star point guard has never lost to the hawks and the seniors that have been there 4 years have lost once. That means the only players on the roster that have "a" loss against the hawks are Niang & Long. That is a huge mental advantage.

Not between these two teams.... You can throw out any advantage as evidenced by the blowout in Carver last year. Clones have the mental advantage even if the game is played on the moon. Our star point guard has never lost to the hawks and the seniors that have been there 4 years have lost once. That means the only players on the roster that have "a" loss against the hawks are Niang & Long. That is a huge mental advantage.

Ok...sure. Keep trying to use previous years as a basis for your argument for this year. Ask Duke and Kentucky how domination and relevancy in previous years translates to current years. I'm done with you since it is clear you like to live in the past. This thread was about the current state of our program and we are quite happy with where we are sitting.

At least you're in acceptance that Iowa clearly has the better skills and players now.

I think in a few years, Iowa fans will have great respect for the current ISU coach. From everything I have read, he sounds like a principled man who has a philosophy and sticks to it. When Freddies group of renegades are long gone, the character issues that have dogged ISU MBB for the last few decades should also be gone.

The issue for ISU will be "Can they get talented kids on campus"? Prohm has won at a smaller school. Can he win at a P5? We'll know in 2-3 years.

ISU blowhards(fans) know MBB is their one redeeming asset. We see renewed enthusiasm with their recent Football hire. But everyone also knows the same was said about DanM, Chizek, CPR. Fans outside of Ames know how this will end. Campbell will either win a little and leave OR he won't and they'll be in the market for another guy in 4-5 years.

Ok...sure. Keep trying to use previous years as a basis for your argument for this year. Ask Duke and Kentucky how domination and relevancy in previous years translates to current years. I'm done with you since it is clear you like to live in the past. This thread was about the current state of our program and we are quite happy with where we are sitting.
Previous years are being used to validate the confidence and mental edge of current players, with many of them part of those teams. You are dreaming if you don't think the clones have a mental advantage...... Especially winning after being down 20 in the 2nd half.

I think in a few years, Iowa fans will have great respect for the current ISU coach. From everything I have read, he sounds like a principled man who has a philosophy and sticks to it. When Freddies group of renegades are long gone, the character issues that have dogged ISU MBB for the last few decades should also be gone.

The issue for ISU will be "Can they get talented kids on campus"? Prohm has won at a smaller school. Can he win at a P5? We'll know in 2-3 years.

ISU blowhards(fans) know MBB is their one redeeming asset. We see renewed enthusiasm with their recent Football hire. But everyone also knows the same was said about DanM, Chizek, CPR. Fans outside of Ames know how this will end. Campbell will either win a little and leave OR he won't and they'll be in the market for another guy in 4-5 years.
You can stick your backhanded compliment. What is clear, is you know very little and making claims about "fans outside of ames" speaks to your maturity level.

Tel
You can stick your backhanded compliment. What is clear, is you know very little and making claims about "fans outside of ames" speaks to your maturity level.
Tell me where I am wrong because I think, no I know, ISU's history of hiring HCs. You hire assts, old, washed up guys, minor conference HCs, or guys that wouldn't get a P5 gig anywhere else.

Pollard just does enough to keep the fans enthused til the next hire. His next job will be replacing the wrestling coach. The only thing that changes is Pollard might leave for his dream job in Madison if that opens up.

Clone fans aren't the brightest bulbs in the box as evidenced by your recent posts. Stay strong, tho... planting season and road construction season is soon approaching. Remember the "Stop/Slow" sign has to be opposite of the guy at the other end!

Previous years are being used to validate the confidence and mental edge of current players, with many of them part of those teams. You are dreaming if you don't think the clones have a mental advantage...... Especially winning after being down 20 in the 2nd half.

Wow, you just won't let it go. MSU had more of this "confidence and mental edge" of current players over the Hawks from years past than ISU has ever had. The domination they have had over us including a huge comeback win last year has been a bigger thorn in our side than ISU. Do I need to remind you how well that confidence and mental edge worked in MSU's favor in the two meetings they had this year with the Hawkeyes? Keep living in the past.....it's all you currently have as your dream season slowly slips away. We will keep living in the present.

He gone for now! Mom told him to shut off the computer and get in the car for church!

Iowa State played easily one of their worst halves of basketball that first half so that made it a pretty even match except the final score is all that matters. The buzzer went off at the wrong time for Iowa just like every game goes when there are a lot of lead changes.

I don't care how ISU played. You won, I get it.

I was simply pointing out the absurdity of saying Iowa played "as well as they possibly could have" which if you had watched Iowa play this year you would know was an idiotic statement.

Uthoff played his best half of basketball, but the other 7 players in the rotation were no where near what they are now.

Iowa was unranked at the time and now will be top 3 , obviously that didn't happen by peaking in December.

I'm not going to make a statement regarding a fictional second matchup but it's pretty clear that ISU fans aren't really up to speed on Iowa at this point.

The current Iowa squad would beat the one that went into Ames by double digits 10 out of 10 times .

All that typing to tell us the obvious?!? And here's a news flash....we fans are long over that game and more importantly, I am sure the Iowa players are too judging by how they have responded since then. So quit trying to create finger pointing out of something that isn't there. As another poster just said, this thread wasn't even discussing ISU until some of your ISU brethren came on here and started the usual trash talk about beating us.
Wrong. ISU was introduced into the thread by Err and another Hawk poster.

You beat us by 1 at hilton and think we wouldn't beat you at home?
You beat OK by 5x what you beat Iowa.....so clearly you'll beat them in OK...oh wait!

Clearly you're better than OU because you beat them by a few points at home.
You are a tool....

We're significantly better than ISU this year, every ranking metric that matters agrees, no need to waste time dealing with ISU trolls. They got their one point home win which will be the highlight of their season, while we roll into the NCAA with a possible top overall seed with much bigger goals in sight.

You beat OK by 5x what you beat Iowa.....so clearly you'll beat them in OK...oh wait!

You are a tool....
Well, for the record, if Morris hits a wide open trey with 5 seconds left, we DO beat Oklahoma at Norman. But you make an excellent point. Iowa is playing better than ISU now. I can't imagine arguing otherwise.

You are a tool....
We haven't beaten OU 6 of the last 7 years regardless of where the game is played. We won this year and have a better record on neutral courts..... Where NCAA games are played. We play in a significantly tougher conference so I would expect to have more losses.

We haven't beaten OU 6 of the last 7 years regardless of where the game is played. We won this year and have a better record on neutral courts..... Where NCAA games are played. We play in a significantly tougher conference so I would expect to have more losses.
7.You-know-you-should-slap-yourself-for-every-mistake-you-make.gif

I live in this year...not the 2009 :).
We'll find out which conferences have the better teams in march.

OU didn't lose a game out of conference. OU has beaten (killed) Villanova, Wisconsin, Memphis, Washington State, LSU, Creighton... if you are saying they aren't legit you are crazy, and in a very small minority. It does mean in the Big 12 you never have a night off, especially on the road. Can't say that in the Big 10.

Rutgers is #264 in the Sagarin ratings. Penn state is 130. Minnesota is 170. Illinois is 113. Pathetic.

Another FACT is that the #6 team in the Big 12 beat the top team in the Big 10. And Iowa played as good as they can play in the that game. Uthoff 30 in the first half? Wasn't enough. I know that loss is just killing Iowa fans. Love it.
Now compare that to mich state in non conference.

We can all throw words around about who is the better team, but here is all you need to know to realize the current state of each program...Iowa players and fans would absolutely welcome and look forward to a game against ISU in the NCAA tourney. ISU players and fans would want absolutely nothing to do with the Hawkeyes.
I might actually disagree with your last sentence. Iowa has a great team and has had a great year, but with as mentally weak as ISU has been, Iowa is probably one of the few teams they might get focused for and have quite a bit of famiarity having to play them every year. Not saying ISU would win but I would be more confident than having to play Villanova, Oregon or any team they wouldn't get fired up for.

This conversation was about Oklahoma, and Iowa being the overall #1 seed. The only reason Isu was brought up was because, once again, an Isu troll brought them up. The reason Uni isn't brought up on your board all the time, is because Uni fans aren't flocking to your board, acting like dbags after every win. Even garbage wins like yesterday. Heather burnside on the radio, talked about how Iowa has stolen Iowa states dream season. It's absolutely true and killing Isu fans right now. I'd also like to add that I still think okie is the best team in the country, and the big 12 is very very good.
Is Err an ISU troll? Serious question.

At the end of the day you clones can keep dreaming about your mental toughness(coughmckaycough), and your superiority after your floor storming 1 point victory. I'm busy enjoying life in the top 5 and currently being on pace for a conference title and a number one seed. You should try it some time.

Deep down you know it kills YOU, because this was suppose to be your year. Don't believe me, take 10 minutes and read a few threads on Cyclone Fanatic. I can honestly say it's hilarious.
All fans need to stay humble at this point. ISU didn't get a trophy for being ranked high earlier and there's no trophy handed out for being ranked high now. The only thing that matters is what happens in the tournament. Any team can go on a run and on the right day any team can get upset.

Not anymore. There's been a lot of water under the bridge in the last 2 months.

Looks like he is an Iowa guy, but again, he didn't bring up our game as you were alluding. He was talking about Oklahoma, Kinky started the "we beat you" crap again. I think what's peculiar about the Iowa/ISU game this year, is when that game took place, NOBODY thought Iowa was as good as that first half showed. Not even Iowa fans. As the year has gone on, incredibly, it has shown that the first half was the real Iowa, not the second. I get why ISU fans would be pissed, we are smoking people by double digits almost every game. I think most Iowa fans are in shock of the season we are having right now. Fran didn't even play Wagner and Baer in that game, which turns out to have been a bad move. I don't know what would happen right now if the teams squared off, but I do know Iowa would be favored, and I'd be willing to bet Iowa would take it to ISU. The conference argument is just dumb. The conferences are pretty damn equal. The big 10 is going to have 3 teams in the top 10 today.

Well we beat the #1 team in the B12 & B10. Folks here can cry all they want about handing a game. The hawks got beat. That is the only thing that matters. That would be 6 out of the last 7 games and that has an effect on the players mentally.

Yeah, our team was so devastated that we've won 12 of the last 13. Your clowns are 9-6. Woe is us!

No, of course not. You lost that game, so it doesn't really count. On the other hand, they're still bringing up the Augustana game on CyFan. Clowns grasping for straws to make them feel better.

It doesn't change the confidence level of the Clones as they know how to beat the hawks.

sure... it's UAB that isu struggles in the confidence game.

[But, thanks to you, nonfan, and kinked, it can now be laid to rest that Iowa is the most important game of the year for isu ! Great job !]

The thread started out as about OU losing but ISU trolls come here to blather on about ISU and hijack the thread. You ISU guys are so insecure that anything that is remotely related to ISU has you extending the thread beyond the original topic in some form or fashion to talk about ISU. Yeah ISU beat us and we've learned from it. It would have been great if Uthoff's shot had fallen but it didn't. Get over it, we don't care about ISU and the Hawks as in football are getting the national publicity not ISU. Go Hawks.

Last edited:
It doesn't change the confidence level of the Clones as they know how to beat the hawks.

Iowa has played one game with a final margin in single digits since the ISU game in mid December. One. At Maryland.

I really don't think ISUs level of confidence matters much to Iowa.

Wagner, Baer and Uhl were non factors in that game in Ames and have been big part of the team from that point on. Two of them are hitting over %40 from 3.

ISU could beat Iowa again certainly but Iowa isn't going to fold up like they did in Ames.

ISU would have to put together two solid halves of ball and play much much better than they did on that day.
Because I can guarantee Iowa is vastly better than they were at that point in the year.

The thread started out as about OU losing but ISU trolls come here to blather on about ISU and hijack the thread. You ISU guys are so insecure that anything that is remotely related to ISU has you extending the thread beyond the original topic in some form or fashion to talk about ISU. Yeah ISU beat us and we've learned from it. It would have been great if Uthoff's shot had fallen but it didn't. Get over it, we don't care about ISU and the Hawks as in football are getting the national publicity not ISU. Go Hawks.
In other words, you agree it was Iowa posters who brought ISU into the thread. Thank you for that admission.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT