ADVERTISEMENT

#1000pages FSU Third Natty (Women’s Soccer 2021 & 2023, and Cheerleading 2023 achieved)

It's sad what happened to JB. Guy had PTSD from getting hit so often and has the yips now. Can't release the ball. Had he not gotten gang raped for a year and a half I think he could have been a decent qb somewhere.

He had Miami beat in 2017 just a few weeks after arriving on campus. Blackman was a project and he was played too early and too often. Had he played in a game or two in 2017 and then sat for a year or two and developed, had consistent coaching and far less chaos around him, he would have been a decent qb.

He had Miami beat in 2017 just a few weeks after arriving on campus. Blackman was a project and he was played too early and too often. Had he played in a game or two in 2017 and then sat for a year or two and developed, had consistent coaching and far less chaos around him, he would have been a decent qb.
He had a pretty deep ball when he was a new recruit. Now he can't hit a guy on the flat.

Which is worse, the regression of Chris Rix or Blackman? I'd say Rix is still the lowest bar set. That said, FSU has struck gold multiple times on getting non-NFL quality QBs into the NFL.
Blackman. Rix was never really developed into what he could be. Blackman has been destroyed.

Since this year doesn't count for eligibility, I'm hoping Blackman goes some place in the Sunbelt to start for two years. He deserves it. Guy has hung in there and given staff after staff a chance, been a great teammate...but he's also not improved at all. He was never supposed to be the guy, and yet over and over again, that's where he found himself, and I've never heard a single negative about the guy as a person or teammate. But a total lack of coaching and continuity has doomed him here, if he ever did have the chops. He needs and deserves a fresh start.

Which is worse, the regression of Chris Rix or Blackman? I'd say Rix is still the lowest bar set. That said, FSU has struck gold multiple times on getting non-NFL quality QBs into the NFL.

Chris Rix was the 6th rated QB (before they were split) and overall was the #43 player in his class. James Blackman was the 16th Pro-style QB in a year with perceived low quality QBs as he was only ranked #389 in his class. No one really expected Blackman to be great, in his "cohort" of QB recruits who were within 2 years of his recruiting class (ie the guys who should have started over him IF everyone lived up to their billing) he was drop dead last. The problem is that all of the guys who should have started over him were one whiff after another. Using the overall player ratings (rather than try to compare Pro to Dual Threat), we whiffed on Malik Henry (#49), Deondre Francois (#66), Bailey Hockman (#280), and Deandre Johnson (#374). So Blackman was the fifth "best" QB of his cohort on paper.

Conversely, Chris Rix was supposed to be a star. Anquan Boldin (#20), Adrian McPherson (#52), Fabian Walker (#92), and Wyatt Sexton (214) were in his Cohort so he was the second highest rated of the five.

Beyond the fact that I hate the Dodgers, this is a good reason to root for the Rays in the World Series.

DZdwBGWWsAAl_Yv

Blackman. Rix was never really developed into what he could be. Blackman has been destroyed.

Chris Rix was the 6th rated QB (before they were split) and overall was the #43 player in his class. James Blackman was the 16th Pro-style QB in a year with perceived low quality QBs as he was only ranked #389 in his class. No one really expected Blackman to be great, in his "cohort" of QB recruits who were within 2 years of his recruiting class (ie the guys who should have started over him IF everyone lived up to their billing) he was drop dead last. The problem is that all of the guys who should have started over him were one whiff after another. Using the overall player ratings (rather than try to compare Pro to Dual Threat), we whiffed on Malik Henry (#49), Deondre Francois (#66), Bailey Hockman (#280), and Deandre Johnson (#374). So Blackman was the fifth "best" QB of his cohort on paper.

Conversely, Chris Rix was supposed to be a star. Anquan Boldin (#20), Adrian McPherson (#52), Fabian Walker (#92), and Wyatt Sexton (214) were in his Cohort so he was the second highest rated of the five.

So it sounds like you guys agree. :) So I repeat the question, who has regressed more, Blackman or Rix?

Rix is the only player to lose to the same team 5 times (Miami).
He came in as a star, was Freshman of the year, and left with people wearing "Rix Happens" shirts. Went undrafted and was only invited to San Diego's tryout camp. His senior season he threw for 865 yards in 8 games.

I didn't ask who had higher potential, who highs and lows were larger, Rix clearly had more talent, but who has regressed more?

Damn, I do now wish we had Rix back.

So it sounds like you guys agree. :) So I repeat the question, who has regressed more, Blackman or Rix?

Rix is the only player to lose to the same team 5 times (Miami).
He came in as a star, was Freshman of the year, and left with people wearing "Rix Happens" shirts. Went undrafted and was only invited to San Diego's tryout camp. His senior season he threw for 865 yards in 8 games.

I didn't ask who had higher potential, who highs and lows were larger, Rix clearly had more talent, but who has regressed more?

Damn, I do now wish we had Rix back.

Can't forget about the business card he'd give to co-eds - Chris Rix, FSU QB

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I’d rather see what Purdy can do.

In today's college football, you can basically never have too many QBs. Look at the quarterbacks that have come through UGA and they're starting a walk-on for what should be a national championship contending team.

I think you have to seriously consider the likelihood that Altmyer decommits...if this team wins 3-4 games, you have to plan for that contingency. You have to weigh the possibility that Jordan Travis continues to look good...and what the other QBs think about that. I don't think Travis is the long term answer, but he's a Sophomore with three MORE years to play.

If Travis continues to look pretty decent, and Altmyer keeps his commitment, I'd expect at least Purdy to transfer, if not Rodemaker as well. QBs that think they can start don't wait around for opportunities, when they can go plug into a good team.

So, I have no idea if this guy is actually any good or of any interest to Norvell. But if he's good enough to play for Norvell, and he wants to come here, you have to see if you can fit him in.

In today's college football, you can basically never have too many QBs. Look at the quarterbacks that have come through UGA and they're starting a walk-on for what should be a national championship contending team.

I think you have to seriously consider the likelihood that Altmyer decommits...if this team wins 3-4 games, you have to plan for that contingency. You have to weigh the possibility that Jordan Travis continues to look good...and what the other QBs think about that. I don't think Travis is the long term answer, but he's a Sophomore with three MORE years to play.

If Travis continues to look pretty decent, and Altmyer keeps his commitment, I'd expect at least Purdy to transfer, if not Rodemaker as well. QBs that think they can start don't wait around for opportunities, when they can go plug into a good team.

So, I have no idea if this guy is actually any good or of any interest to Norvell. But if he's good enough to play for Norvell, and he wants to come here, you have to see if you can fit him in.
FSU had a standard QB formula that worked to perfection throughout the Dynasty Years: Sit your first two years and start your second two. We'll never see that again.

FSU had a standard QB formula that worked to perfection throughout the Dynasty Years: Sit your first two years and start your second two. We'll never see that again.
Nope. That was prior to every star player working on the three year plan. Remember when a player had to apply for a hardship waiver to leave early?

Reactions: billanole
Blackman is simply a victim of circumstances. Belem had it right in a few of his posts. The kid is shell shocked. In the end, he couldn't make a good read, couldn't trust his receivers, held the ball too long, or missed easy throws. His mechanics are way better than they were, and he has really good arm talent. He kind of reminds me of Jeff George when George played for the Falcons. Basically a head case. Incredible talent but no confidence. I give Blackman credit for his leadership, but he has no future at FSU.

Terry clearly needs to heal. I commend him for trying to come back against Pitt, but he looked out of shape and slow.

Wilson also needs time to heal.

Love-Taylor will be missed. On that note, I doubt Bavion Johnson will return next year even though he gets a "gift" year.

Blackman is simply a victim of circumstances. Belem had it right in a few of his posts. The kid is shell shocked. In the end, he couldn't make a good read, couldn't trust his receivers, held the ball too long, or missed easy throws. His mechanics are way better than they were, and he has really good arm talent. He kind of reminds me of Jeff George when George played for the Falcons. Basically a head case. Incredible talent but no confidence. I give Blackman credit for his leadership, but he has no future at FSU.

Terry clearly needs to heal. I commend him for trying to come back against Pitt, but he looked out of shape and slow.

Wilson also needs time to heal.

Love-Taylor will be missed. On that note, I doubt Bavion Johnson will return next year even though he gets a "gift" year.
Agreed with all of that.

In hindsight, it may have been better for everyone if Terry & Marv had entered the draft last year. Neither have helped themselves in the draft, and between off-field issues & lack of on-field production they haven't done much to help the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT