ADVERTISEMENT

105 Football Scholarships approved by the NCAA. Rosters will also be capped at 105

in 2023, Iowa made approx 300K from their athletic department. How does this continue with increasing the number of scholarships?

so, in a nutshell, the rich get richer?

Maybe I am leaving something out of the equation,but teams like Ohio State, Alabama, etc can just load up on 4 and 5-stars.

On the other hand, these aforementioned teams will have a ton of talent riding the bench just waiting for the starters to get hurt so will end up transferring.

still I think it skews the competitive balance in favor of the blue bloods. If I am wrong, someone please tell me so and why.

How does +44 men vs +18 women even remotely work w title IV? Most schools are cutting men’s sports to try to comply. Now you have baseball which loses money adding more than women’s combined?
One option is setting an internal limit and never going to the max allowed by the NCAA.

At first glance, the football increase seems unnecessary and ridiculous. Why would anyone need over 100 scholarship players?

NFL rosters are capped at half that -- 53 -- with 16 players max on the practice squad.

Actually, roster sizes are going to be reduced.

This July 11, 2024 story from ESPN talks about "conferences throughout the sport are mulling whether to reduce the size of FBS football rosters from as many as 130 to 140 players down to 100 players or fewer. The Power Four conferences -- ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC -- seem to be eyeing a roster size of about 100 to 110 players, sources told ESPN. Conference commissioners are scheduled to meet again Friday to discuss the issue."

Now, the entire 105 (and no more) on the roster would be on scholarship.

From the story in the OP:

Opinions have been mixed on the new roster limits. While it will allow coaches to provide financial support to more players, coaches worry that capping a roster size at 105 will diminish their ability to stay fresh and conduct safe practices.

Asked if the scholarship number was high enough, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops provided a frank answer. “It’s not but I really don’t want to get into much of that right now...."

Actually, roster sizes are going to be reduced.

This July 11, 2024 story from ESPN talks about "conferences throughout the sport are mulling whether to reduce the size of FBS football rosters from as many as 130 to 140 players down to 100 players or fewer. The Power Four conferences -- ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC -- seem to be eyeing a roster size of about 100 to 110 players, sources told ESPN. Conference commissioners are scheduled to meet again Friday to discuss the issue."

Now, the entire 105 (and no more) on the roster would be on scholarship.

They will be killing the walk on program. That is a shame.

How does +44 men vs +18 women even remotely work w title IV? Most schools are cutting men’s sports to try to comply. Now you have baseball which loses money adding more than women’s combined?
I don't think title IV actually says the scholarship numbers have to be the same. I think its worded differently something about opportunity. I doubt the numbers have been the same now what with football as large as it is.....

yeah, that won't work.

Everyone clamor
It’s deceiving because they paid $$ off the covid “loan” early.
I could be mistaken, but that is a 15 year loan for 50 million. It appears they only paid back 1.8 million this past year. Financial aid was up 1.25 million this last year for the athletic department, and that number will soar with the additional scholarships.

Great. Now the Bama’s of the world can get more 4 and 5 stars, leaving very few left for the rest. I don’t see how this helps anyone other than the schools with the most money.
Nothing to worry about on this one, those kids are going to transfer out.

That deal is signed through the 29-30 season. I am pretty sure these figures account for that.
???? Account for what? YOU said we made $300,000 LAST year. How does what we will make 6 years from now account for that. We're going to make a hell of alot more after expenses under the new contract, at least we better. The current numbers also don't account for paying the players 22% of the profits going forward...

???? Account for what? YOU said we made $300,000 LAST year. How does what we will make 6 years from now account for that. We're going to make a hell of alot more after expenses under the new contract, at least we better. The current numbers also don't account for paying the players 22% of the profits going forward...
Good lord bro, calm the **** down. We made 300,000 last year, as in profit. The TV contract is accounted for to the best of my knowledge. The comment was based on covering those increases in expenses moving forward. most universities do not have profitable athletic departments. Last year also had the Clark effect going for it.

Important Notes:

The roster limit is both (1) max amount of players a sport can have in a season and (2) max number of scholarships it can distribute. School are not required to use all allotted scholarships.

Walk-ons may still exist as well as players with a partial scholarships.

As part of the House settlement agreement made public on Friday July 26. 2024, college leaders are expanding scholarships to full rosters of each sport, eliminating scholarship restrictions and replacing them with roster size limits.

The new scholarship and roster structure — an attempt to prevent future lawsuits — takes effect starting in the 2025-26 academic year and coincides with the settlement’s new model that permits schools to share revenue directly with athletes.

Commissioners finalized new roster limits earlier this week, and they were all revealed with Friday’s court filing.

In the new model, schools are permitted to offer a scholarship to each player on a sport’s roster up to the new roster limits.

the sport of football, with a current scholarship restriction of 85, will now have a roster limit of 105 — a 20-scholarship increase for those schools willing to give the maximum. Baseball, with a current scholarship restriction of 11.7, is expected to have a roster of 34 — a 22.3 scholarship increase.

As is the case now, schools are not required to distribute scholarships to each player.

the annual revenue-sharing cap, is expected to begin at or around $21.5 million.

For some elite power programs, the total cost of both the scholarship additions and the sharing of revenue with athletes will exceed $30 million annually. To maintain compliance with the federal Title IX law, any scholarship increases in a men’s sport will likely need to be replicated in a women’s sport, driving up the additional costs.

But not all programs can afford to add so many additional scholarships. Some administrators are in the process of “tiering” their sports by decreasing investment on certain programs and increasing investment in others. This includes staff and salary cuts as well as the reduction in scholarships from Olympic sports, especially those that generate little to no revenue.

The story from Yahoo Sports:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT