ADVERTISEMENT

105 Football Scholarships approved by the NCAA. Rosters will also be capped at 105

At first glance, the football increase seems unnecessary and ridiculous. Why would anyone need over 100 scholarship players?

NFL rosters are capped at half that -- 53 -- with 16 players max on the practice squad.

they don't have to put an additional 20 on scholarship; 105 is just the maximum

I thought that the Athletic dept. was non-profit?
I believe the University is non profit. I think any $$ the athletic department makes (and don't spend lolol..) can be given back to the school, which they have done in some years...

Good lord bro, calm the **** down. We made 300,000 last year, as in profit. The TV contract is accounted for to the best of my knowledge. The comment was based on covering those increases in expenses moving forward. most universities do not have profitable athletic departments. Last year also had the Clark effect going for it.
I'm plenty calm, thanks. Your original statement was the athletic department made 300K last year, and how was that going to continue if they started paying players. To THAT I said the TV contract is going to double. Then you said the new contract is signed through 29-30, and it accounts for that. Well the NEW deal doesn't even start until next season and thats when the revenue starts increasing. So NO that contract has not been accounted for in last years profit because it hasn't even taken effect yet. Revenues will increase dramatically starting next year and increasing through that 29-30 season. Hence the extra $$ to pay players, etc...

Lolol.. Good Lord. 55 scholarships for TUMBLING, and 50 for equestrian. Title IV at its finest. I wonder if some of the horses are mares if that qualifies. I'm all for equality but the extreme lengths they have to go to shows the stupidity of it all....

I forget how many Iowa women rowers are on full scholarship

Iowa had to add back women's swimming & diving AND women's wrestling earlier than planned because of a Title IX lawsuit

How does +44 men vs +18 women even remotely work w title IV? Most schools are cutting men’s sports to try to comply. Now you have baseball which loses money adding more than women’s combined?

Iowa recently settled a Title IX lawsuit; I am sure Beth will make sure that doesn't happen again

Lawyers around the country will be chomping at the bit, however, when it comes to any disparities that exist in athletic programs

I'm plenty calm, thanks. Your original statement was the athletic department made 300K last year, and how was that going to continue if they started paying players. To THAT I said the TV contract is going to double. Then you said the new contract is signed through 29-30, and it accounts for that. Well the NEW deal doesn't even start until next season and thats when the revenue starts increasing. So NO that contract has not been accounted for in last years profit because it hasn't even taken effect yet. Revenues will increase dramatically starting next year and increasing through that 29-30 season. Hence the extra $$ to pay players, etc...
Can you provide the link that says the TV contract is going to "double". I have yet to see anything in accordance to that whatsoever.

Can you provide the link that says the TV contract is going to "double". I have yet to see anything in accordance to that whatsoever.
So, I can't seem to post the linkfor some reason. Just google B1G TV contract. The new contract actually did start July of 2023 but its on a graduated scale so the bigger numbers are just starting to kick in. It was also based on 16 schools, (before Oregon and Wash were added). There was supposed to some kind of upgrade after those school were added though. Basically in the previous contract the 14 schools got 54 million per year in TV contract revenue. The new contract calls for the schools to get somewhere between 80 and 100 million per year through the 29-30 season. Between the networks jointly, the B1G is to receive 7 Billion dollars through the contracts terms. I believe USC and UCLA are getting equal shares right away, but I don't think Washington and Oregon are getting equal shares right away. At least there was some discussion about that a few months ago.

So, I can't seem to post the linkfor some reason. Just google B1G TV contract. The new contract actually did start July of 2023 but its on a graduated scale so the bigger numbers are just starting to kick in. It was also based on 16 schools, (before Oregon and Wash were added). There was supposed to some kind of upgrade after those school were added though. Basically in the previous contract the 14 schools got 54 million per year in TV contract revenue. The new contract calls for the schools to get somewhere between 80 and 100 million per year through the 29-30 season. Between the networks jointly, the B1G is to receive 7 Billion dollars through the contracts terms. I believe USC and UCLA are getting equal shares right away, but I don't think Washington and Oregon are getting equal shares right away. At least there was some discussion about that a few months ago.
I have been through google, that is the first thing prior to this entire discussion. I didn't know if I missed anything, and nothing pops up. There was one site that discussed a 26% increase, but there were no numerical dollar amounts discussed.

I have been through google, that is the first thing prior to this entire discussion. I didn't know if I missed anything, and nothing pops up. There was one site that discussed a 26% increase, but there were no numerical dollar amounts discussed.
I just went on google "bing" again, and typed B1G TV contract. Came right up to a ESPN.com article written by Adam Rittenburg August 18th of 2022 which describes everything I posted earlier.

I just went on google "bing" again, and typed B1G TV contract. Came right up to a ESPN.com article written by Adam Rittenburg August 18th of 2022 which describes everything I posted earlier.
This? So there is no actual number only 80-100 million up from the money they collected this year

This? So there is no actual number only 80-100 million up from the money they collected this year
Yes. From 54 million to 80-100. It goes up over the next couple of years, and they expect it to get close to that 100 million per school, which is almost twice the 54 per year. Not quite. Still there was also a clause added later, (its not in this story because it was written before Oregon and wash joined ) about more cash being added with the any additional schools who would warrant it. I would think both Washington and Oregon would warrant additional cache to the contract (even though as posted earlier neither school will get a full share payout during this contract in the same way that Maryland and Rutgers were added).

30 scholarships for Wrestling.... Interesting.

68 for womens rowing and 65 for women's rugby :oops:.

That's where they're making up for the 105 in football

Iowa recently settled a Title IX lawsuit; I am sure Beth will make sure that doesn't happen again

Lawyers around the country will be chomping at the bit, however, when it comes to any disparities that exist in athletic programs
How many of those lawyers have had their student loans "forgiven", I wonder...

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: obfuscating
Iowa everywhere did a nice post on this topic. It sounds as if they think the scholarships will not be filled, and there will be a tiering of sports. You have the option to put up 30 scholarships for wrestling, but those likely won't all be filled. Stating that Ohio State will not be able to fill the extra 22 million either.

Iowa everywhere did a nice post on this topic. It sounds as if they think the scholarships will not be filled, and there will be a tiering of sports. You have the option to put up 30 scholarships for wrestling, but those likely won't all be filled. Stating that Ohio State will not be able to fill the extra 22 million either.

Yeah, I don't see Iowa putting any more than 85 on scholarship for football. What's interesting is that they will now only be able to add 20 more walk ons and preferred walk ons to the roster (that number was much higher)

that's a good idea but players are not going to want to lose anything they already have
If they want to play like the big boys (essentially semi-pro), then deal with the good and bad. I see a true Players Association coming out of this, then they will have to pay union dues so the fat cats can get fatter.

If they want to play like the big boys (essentially semi-pro), then deal with the good and bad. I see a true Players Association coming out of this, then they will have to pay union dues so the fat cats can get fatter.
Northwestern tried to start a players union a few years back and the courts threw their lawsuit right out. Maybe they try again. Still this latest wording still says that the players are NOT employees, although it seems their splitting hairs now.....

Reactions: obfuscating
Yeah, I don't see Iowa putting any more than 85 on scholarship for football. What's interesting is that they will now only be able to add 20 more walk ons and preferred walk ons to the roster (that number was much higher)
Why wouldn’t they go to the full 105 for football? The entire athletic department is dependent on football. It isn’t the sport to try to cut down on costs. If track, baseball, golf, etc. have to go down in scholarships to make football successful, it will need to be done.

Why wouldn’t they go to the full 105 for football? The entire athletic department is dependent on football. It isn’t the sport to try to cut down on costs. If track, baseball, golf, etc. have to go down in scholarships to make football successful, it will need to be done.
I think the issue at Iowa is the rich tradition of walk ons working their way up to being starters and even stars. A number have played in the league. Its finding that diamond in the rough and polishing into a gem. Hard thing to give up in Kirks culture, which has been a winning formula...

I think the issue at Iowa is the rich tradition of walk ons working their way up to being starters and even stars. A number have played in the league. Its finding that diamond in the rough and polishing into a gem. Hard thing to give up in Kirks culture, which has been a winning formula...
Agree that it hurts our walk-on program as our overall roster will go down. Am I wrong though in thinking we go from 85 scholarships + 40-45 walkons under the old program to having 105 scholarships and 0 walkons in the new world. I would think to stay competitive you have to use all 105 scholarships allowed and spend most of the $22m allowed for revenue sharing on football. Assuming no Title IX problems, would think it would be like $19m football, $2m mens bball, $1m womens bball, and nothing to every other sport at Iowa. Maybe they’d kick some to wrestling but I wouldn’t give much and wouldn’t give anything else to any other sport.

Agree that it hurts our walk-on program as our overall roster will go down. Am I wrong though in thinking we go from 85 scholarships + 40-45 walkons under the old program to having 105 scholarships and 0 walkons in the new world. I would think to stay competitive you have to use all 105 scholarships allowed and spend most of the $22m allowed for revenue sharing on football. Assuming no Title IX problems, would think it would be like $19m football, $2m mens bball, $1m womens bball, and nothing to every other sport at Iowa. Maybe they’d kick some to wrestling but I wouldn’t give much and wouldn’t give anything else to any other sport.
I think "assuming no title IX issues" is a big ask. Thats a minefield just ripe for lawyers and profiteers......

You think the transfer portal is saturated now…..
Yep. Blue bloods will make out on this deal....larger classes, those that don't cut it hit the portal.

One of the reasons they cut it to 85 originally was to even the playing field a bit and not let the blue bloods hoard talent.

Not seeing this as good news for Iowa.

Yep. Blue bloods will make out on this deal....larger classes, those that don't cut it hit the portal.

One of the reasons they cut it to 85 originally was to even the playing field a bit and not let the blue bloods hoard talent.

Not seeing this as good news for Iowa.

Don't you think most teams will stay at 85 scholarships and have 20 walk ons to get to the 105 roster cap?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT