ADVERTISEMENT

105 Football Scholarships approved by the NCAA. Rosters will also be capped at 105

Teams flush with cash (blue bloods) won't. Iowa will.

Don't forget; revenue sharing is coming, which means athletic departments will be able to pay up to $22M to student athletes. And that $22M figure will grow over time.

Budgeting is going to get really interesting for schools. How many schools will budget for up to 20 more football scholarships?

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, funding 20 more football scholarships isn't a big deal. If you figure half of the extra come from out of state and half from in-state, that's an average of about $35,000 per add'l scholarship, or $700k total. Not a huge number when compared to the $20M+ that schools are going to be required to pay it's athletes (if they want to remain competitive).

What I'll be interested to see is how that $20M is divided up. Since this is considered to be a "revenue sharing model" and not an "employee compensation model", it would make sense to me that the majority of that revenue sharing goes to the athletes in the sports that are driving the most revenue. But doing that is guaranteed to get a lawsuit because of Title IX. However, if they take the approach of dividing it up equally by the number of athletes in each sport, then they're guaranteed to get a lawsuit from players in the revenue generating sports that they aren't being appropriately paid based on the revenue their sport brings to the university.

In other words, no matter which route is taken, there's going to be lawsuits, and lots of them.

Insane waste of money, some of the TV money should go to the academic mission of the University.
It does. When you think of the fact that the athletic department pays the general fund (the academic side) of the University for the tuition of each of the 650 athletes, then that amounts to $13M per year. That sounds like pretty good academic support to the University to me.

It does. When you think of the fact that the athletic department pays the general fund (the academic side) of the University for the tuition of each of the 650 athletes, then that amounts to $13M per year. That sounds like pretty good academic support to the University to me.

good point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT