ADVERTISEMENT

14 Important Things That George W. Bush Did In Selma This Weekend

And for some reason the NYT couldn't use this image.

At least the Getty photog got it right.

465528432.jpg

Originally posted by Hawk in SEC Country:
And for some reason the NYT couldn't use this image.

At least the Getty photog got it right.

ec
They could have. It's a great image. So was the one they used.

That piece had all the charm of a David Letterman "Top-Ten."

There were a number of pictures showing a nice and relaxed ex-President and a handful showing a rather stiff and unaffected (by the whole thing) current President.

... and Michelle Obama seemed to be in a delightful mood and was even laughing it up with President Bush. She appeared to be genuinely likable in those shots.

Beyond this, someone is going to have to walk me through the rest of it, as it sailed right over my head.

Originally posted by sijoint:

Yeah......No Republicans welcome....only repentant old Democrat slave owners....... handing out Obama phones and grubbin for votes.
happy.r191677.gif

ec
False. Or certainly not proven true.

Originally posted by BABiscuit:

Yeah......No Republicans welcome....only repentant old Democrat slave owners....... handing out Obama phones and grubbin for votes.
happy.r191677.gif

ec
I prefer to think of it as true. It shows just how far Rs have fallen. Rs used to be the good party. The Republican Party was founding on the idea of a living wage and valued labor. Rs used to be for conservation and led the way on civil rights. Today, not so much. I dare Rs to be a party that would welcome King.

It takes a special sort to want to claim a guy they would toss under the bus today, but living in the past has always been a problem for conservatives.

happy.r191677.gif
False. Or certainly not proven true

This post was edited on 3/11 8:13 AM by sijoint

National Black Republican Association

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

That piece had all the charm of a David Letterman "Top-Ten."

There were a number of pictures showing a nice and relaxed ex-President and a handful showing a rather stiff and unaffected (by the whole thing) current President.

... and Michelle Obama seemed to be in a delightful mood and was even laughing it up with President Bush. She appeared to be genuinely likable in those shots.

Beyond this, someone is going to have to walk me through the rest of it, as it sailed right over my head.
Obama Derangement Syndrome

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

happy.r191677.gif

ec
I prefer to think of it as true. It shows just how far Rs have fallen. Rs used to be the good party. The Republican Party was founding on the idea of a living wage and valued labor. Rs used to be for conservation and led the way on civil rights. Today, not so much. I dare Rs to be a party that would welcome King.

It takes a special sort to want to claim a guy they would toss under the bus today, but living in the past has always been a problem for conservatives.

georgewallace_cardfront.jpg

happy.r191677.gif

ec

No, the Republican party was founded primarily for the purpose of opposing the spread of slavery in the United States. It led the fight to abolish slavery.

happy.r191677.gif

ec

This

Originally posted by dandh:

happy.r191677.gif

ec

No, the Republican party was founded primarily for the purpose of opposing the spread of slavery in the United States.  It led the fight to abolish slavery. 

According to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter the civil war was about stopping the spread of night walkers across this country. Slavery was a rouse.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Yeah......No Republicans welcome....only repentant old Democrat slave owners....... handing out Obama phones and grubbin for votes.Â
happy.r191677.gif

ec

It takes a special sort to want to claim a guy they would toss under the bus today, but living in the past has always been a problem for conservatives. Â
No, the Republican party was founded primarily for the purpose of opposing the spread of slavery in the United States. It led the fight to abolish slavery.Â

According to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter the civil war was about stopping the spread of night walkers across this country. Slavery was a rouse.
The south was about slavery that way Vampires had a free an easy access to food. I dont think it was more spread of Vampires rather than a less publicized way for disappearance of people.

happy.r191677.gif

ec

ec
I don't know if you realize it or not, but your post proves my point. Thanks for the assist.

happy.r191677.gif

ec

No, the Republican party was founded primarily for the purpose of opposing the spread of slavery in the United States. It led the fight to abolish slavery.
This is true, but there is more to the story. The reasons behind R opposition to slavery points to the truth of my argument. They opposed slavery for both moral and economic reasons. A slave system makes free labor uncompetitive. A farm in Iowa couldn't compete with a farm in Missouri using slave labor. The R party was originally made up of former Whigs and members of the Free Soil party out East. Their first slogan was "free labor, free land, free men". They opposed concentrations of land and wealth, preferring that plantations be broken up so that each farmer could farm their own plot. They had a vision of millions of tiny family farms spread sea to sea.

They most certainly were founding to protect labor and guarantee them the ability to earn a living by the fruits of their labor. Now both of those things meant something different than what they do now. Labor then didn't mean unions, but simply people who worked. And free labor meant you worked for yourself. Originally, it wasn't so much a wage they were after, as it was a living. They thought working for a paycheck was just this side of slavery and wanted everyone to own their own land so they could support themselves from the fruits of that land. They thought the prices of the commodities produced should be high enough to allow for self sufficiency from these farms. For all that to happen, slavery and the plantation system had to go.

Didn't you ever ask yourself why a bunch of racist white men from the North would go to war with a bunch of racist white men in the South for a bunch of black people neither side liked? Well there is your answer, it was about money.

Originally posted by hawkhead87:
Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

happy.r191677.gif

ec

No, the Republican party was founded primarily for the purpose of opposing the spread of slavery in the United States.  It led the fight to abolish slavery. 

The south was about slavery that way Vampires had a free an easy access to food. I dont think it was more spread of Vampires rather than a less publicized way for disappearance of people.

Mm mmmm, that dark meat!

Read/watch this.
Let me help you out. When you point that D's used to be the conservative bad guys, we all agree. When you trumpet R's liberal past accomplishments, we also agree. What is odd is that you are proud of your party's liberal past while running away from those very policies now. All the proof you need is to see what those Rs are doing with regard to restoring the voting rights act. 80% or Rs supported it in 1965, today it can't get a vote under R leadership. I dare you to be the R party of old, those were good people.

BTW, did you read your own link or just watch the video? Because the link explained this all to you.

OK ... so I have a confession to make.

I (68 years old and all) actually liked "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

I would recommend it highly to any one who has an interest in Abraham Lincoln's presidency. The Spielberg film was probably a tiny bit better ... but not by that much. In fact, Spielberg completely ignored the fascinating dynamic of Lincoln's interest in killing vampires.

And a prediction: Within ten years, we will be treated to "Barack Obama: Vampire Hunter."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT