ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas has not recused himself from today’s Jan. 6 case

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Despite calls from Democratic lawmakers, there are no indications that Justice Clarence Thomas will recuse himself from Tuesday’s case.
Democrats have questioned whether Thomas can remain impartial in Jan. 6 cases, given that his wife, Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, pressed the Trump White House and lawmakers to overturn Joe Biden’s 2020 victory and exchanged more than two dozen text messages with White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows in the weeks after the vote.

Ginni Thomas corresponded with lawyer John Eastman, a former Thomas clerk who had advocated a fringe legal theory that Vice President Mike Pence could block the certification of Biden’s electoral college win. She also attended the Jan. 6, 2021, “Stop the Steal” rally before the Capitol attack and told the House committee investigating the attack in 2022 that she still believed the 2020 election was stolen.
“I don’t think Thomas will recuse because he fails to recognize that his wife’s active involvement in the ‘Stop the Steal’ effort means his impartiality might reasonably be questioned, which is the test for recusal here,” Stephen Gillers, a judicial ethics expert at New York University’s law school, said in an email. “He’s wrong in thinking that.”
Mark Paoletta, the D.C. lawyer and former White House aide who is a staunch Thomas defender, told The Washington Post that there is “no reason” for the justice to recuse himself from the obstruction case or the upcoming presidential immunity case, in which Donald Trump is arguing that he cannot be prosecuted for actions he took while in office.
“These baseless calls for recusal are simply an effort by the Left to shrink the Court so that their preferred Justices decide these cases,” Paoletta said in an emailed statement. “Justice Thomas’ wife has no ‘interest’ as defined in the law in these cases that would require his recusal.”
If Thomas were to recuse, only eight justices would hear the case, which could result in a 4-4 tie.
He very rarely does so. Thomas didn’t sit out oral arguments for February’s ballot disqualification case or deliberations over whether to fast-track consideration of Trump’s immunity claim. The justice missed Monday’s court session but did not provide a public explanation for his absence.

Despite calls from Democratic lawmakers, there are no indications that Justice Clarence Thomas will recuse himself from Tuesday’s case.
Democrats have questioned whether Thomas can remain impartial in Jan. 6 cases, given that his wife, Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, pressed the Trump White House and lawmakers to overturn Joe Biden’s 2020 victory and exchanged more than two dozen text messages with White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows in the weeks after the vote.

Ginni Thomas corresponded with lawyer John Eastman, a former Thomas clerk who had advocated a fringe legal theory that Vice President Mike Pence could block the certification of Biden’s electoral college win. She also attended the Jan. 6, 2021, “Stop the Steal” rally before the Capitol attack and told the House committee investigating the attack in 2022 that she still believed the 2020 election was stolen.
“I don’t think Thomas will recuse because he fails to recognize that his wife’s active involvement in the ‘Stop the Steal’ effort means his impartiality might reasonably be questioned, which is the test for recusal here,” Stephen Gillers, a judicial ethics expert at New York University’s law school, said in an email. “He’s wrong in thinking that.”
Mark Paoletta, the D.C. lawyer and former White House aide who is a staunch Thomas defender, told The Washington Post that there is “no reason” for the justice to recuse himself from the obstruction case or the upcoming presidential immunity case, in which Donald Trump is arguing that he cannot be prosecuted for actions he took while in office.
“These baseless calls for recusal are simply an effort by the Left to shrink the Court so that their preferred Justices decide these cases,” Paoletta said in an emailed statement. “Justice Thomas’ wife has no ‘interest’ as defined in the law in these cases that would require his recusal.”
If Thomas were to recuse, only eight justices would hear the case, which could result in a 4-4 tie.
He very rarely does so. Thomas didn’t sit out oral arguments for February’s ballot disqualification case or deliberations over whether to fast-track consideration of Trump’s immunity claim. The justice missed Monday’s court session but did not provide a public explanation for his absence.

I’m sure one of the usual suspects who wants Trump’s judge to recuse himself because the judge’s daughter’s employer will be here shortly to say Justice Thomas should recuse himself.

Just waiting. Will be here soon I’m sure. Anytime now …

I could see Thomas recusing himself if his wife had been arrested. I could see him recusing himself if his wife had some direct benefit in the outcome of the case. I could Thomas recusing himself if he had made public statements related to the case that indicated he has already formed an opinion.

Is Thomas' wife's public opinion a legitimate reason for him to recuse himself? Has he ever publicly said he values her opinion when deciding a case?

Has Thomas ever said his wife is the smartest person he knows, and he seeks her advice for major (work related) decisions?

I could see Thomas recusing himself if his wife had been arrested. I could see him recusing himself if his wife had some direct benefit in the outcome of the case. I could Thomas recusing himself if he had made public statements related to the case that indicated he has already formed an opinion.

Is Thomas' wife's public opinion a legitimate reason for him to recuse himself? Has he ever publicly said he values her opinion when deciding a case?

Has Thomas ever said his wife is the smartest person he knows, and he seeks her advice for major (work related) decisions?

Absolutely.

I’m sure one of the usual suspects who wants Trump’s judge to recuse himself because the judge’s daughter’s employer will be here shortly to say Justice Thomas should recuse himself.

Just waiting. Will be here soon I’m sure. Anytime now …
Trumps judge doesn't need to recuse himself and neither does Thomas.

My God, man. Now you’ve done it! The
DNC trolls and bots will now go into overdrive.
Stop making sense.

Are you married?
I'm not a SCOTUS justice with a wife heavily involved with politics. This isn't about his or her rights, it's about making a decision that is best for the health of the institution.

His is an extraordinary position that should, and traditional does, have much higher level of ethical standards than all others. The erosion of these norms hurts everyone.

Let's get real. Even then Thomas wouldn't recuse himself. Dude is corrupt

sorta amusing that we're getting 'live updates' on the oral argument. as usual, the justices asked good questions of both sides.

He was MIA yesterday, sounds like he often is. What a piece of crap.

That's a pretty funny tweet, especially the part about short dissents. "Reports say?" Just read them. What you will find is that, indeed he does, when he has previously written a (sometimes incredibly long and ponderous) dissent in another case covering the same ground. Either way, "Jesus wept" ain't a bad sentence as sentences go.

I'm not a SCOTUS justice with a wife heavily involved with politics. This isn't about his or her rights, it's about making a decision that is best for the health of the institution.

His is an extraordinary position that should, and traditional does, have much higher level of ethical standards than all others. The erosion of these norms hurts everyone.
She actively tried to overthrow an election. How Republicans are okay with this is beyond me. If the parties were switched they would be having a shit fit and I would agree with them.

Since the SCOTUS loves hypotheticals, I've thought of one. This applies to those clamoring for Thomas to recuse himself.

You get called for jury duty. The judge asks the usual questions about if you have any involvement with any of the parties involved in the case.

Judge: Is there any other reason why any of you should be excused?
Juror: (raising hand)
Judge: Juror #12, why should you be excused?
Juror #12: My wife thinks the defendant is no guilty.
Judge: What do you think?
Juror #12: Well everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
Judge: Would you be able to find the defendant guilty, if the evidence show that beyond a reasonable doubt?
Juror #12: Well, yes, your honor.
Judge: So you can have an opinion different from your wife?
Juror #12: It's possible, your honor. It does happen every now and then, especially if it's work related.
Judge: Juror #12, you are not excused for cause at this time.

I mean honestly, Thomas is note the greatest of worries when it comes to being nakedly political in cases. It's Alito. (Even though I did sorta wonder if Gorsuch shot up the chart with his trolling question today about whether pulling a fire alarm during a congressional vote could be obstructing an official proceeding, but then i remembered he's actually pretty good for criminal defendants generally.)

Since the SCOTUS loves hypotheticals, I've thought of one. This applies to those clamoring for Thomas to recuse himself.

You get called for jury duty. The judge asks the usual questions about if you have any involvement with any of the parties involved in the case.

Judge: Is there any other reason why any of you should be excused?
Juror: (raising hand)
Judge: Juror #12, why should you be excused?
Juror #12: My wife thinks the defendant is no guilty.
Judge: What do you think?
Juror #12: Well everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
Judge: Would you be able to find the defendant guilty, if the evidence show that beyond a reasonable doubt?
Juror #12: Well, yes, your honor.
Judge: So you can have an opinion different from your wife?
Juror #12: It's possible, your honor. It does happen every now and then, especially if it's work related.
Judge: Juror #12, you are not excused for cause at this time.
You do know that Thomas' wife has more than an opinion in this matter? In your scenario, "Well, my wife was the getaway driver in the defendant's crime. Should I be excused?"

She actively tried to overthrow an election. How Republicans are okay with this is beyond me. If the parties were switched they would be having a shit fit and I would agree with them.
She actively tried to overthrow an election? Why didn't you say so? When was she charged and convicted? I think I missed that.

You only agree with what the talking points tell you to agree with.

And as long as that health means falling in line with leftist ideology then awesome, right?
She actively tried to overthrow an election? Why didn't you say so? When was she charged and convicted? I think I missed that.

You only agree with what the talking points tell you to agree with.
Are you surprised?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers

It's just my opinion, but the GOP and conservative voters have largely abandoned the tradition of a higher standard of conduct than the letter of the law for leadership.

Why would he? Why do dems hate the lone black man so much? The DoJ is getting absolutely shredded this am btw.

Reactions: goldmom
Thomas didn't ever recuse himself when cases involved the wealthy guys that paid for his luxury trips and houses. He didn't think he had to divulge his extravagant gifts. He's a grifter.
in all seriousness, set aside disclosures, precisely which cases are you referring to?

Reactions: Finance85
Just the GOP and conservative voters?

Recently and generally, yes. That should in no way be construed as an absolute judgement for all things and all time.

IMO, it was/is the entire defense and justification for Donald Trump's actions that exist way outside the bounds of accepted conduct, as well as the absurd idea that Justice Thomas' reception of gifts and private loan forgiveness somehow aren't ethically dubious.

I seriously doubt she has a link to the talking points, so you have an advantage there. I'm pretty sure she could define the ideology, but just doesn't understand how people go that far down a rabbit hole.
She's been in a rabbit hole.🤣

Reactions: Tom Paris
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT