ADVERTISEMENT

18-2

Valholl

HR MVP
Jan 20, 2013
Iowa WBB lost today.
Hostile environment on the road.
Had a lead in the 4th quarter.
Looking ahead, tOSU and Indiana only play each other once while Iowa plays both teams again.
And you come to this board and it would seem that the season is over.

But then you realize that they sell out everywhere they play.
They're a ton of fun to watch.
A generation of young people (both girls and boys) in Iowa are growing up watching this magic.
A bunch of people have signed up for Peacock. Including your parents and they don't know how anything on their smart TV works.
Iowa WBB played on Saturday Night in Prime Time and while people should not have been out in that weather CHA was packed.
Caitlin Clark has her own cereal.

But, yeah, the other stuff.
Oh and I did I mention, that somehow, Iowa is in first place in the B1G?

<This is why we can't have nice things.>

I never thought they would go through the reg Big season undefeated. They defineitly had this game under control with about 5 minutes left but things happen

I just hope more teams do not have the bigs to beat the hawks down low and that the hawks defend the lane better

However the season turns out, we‘re seeing something we‘ve never seen before and will never see again. We‘re so lucky it‘s our team we‘re seeing.

Are you referring to CC when you say we will never see this again? On our team? Or just another CC in general? If you think there will never be another player like her I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Last edited:
Are you referring to CC when you say we will never see this again? On our team? Or just another CC in general? If you think there will never be another player like her I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Maybe, maybe not; and even if/when we do it almost certainly won’t be at Iowa. Cuz it’s not just her as a player, it’s everything else off the court as well. They’re playing every game in front of sold out crowds - that simply doesn’t happen in women’s athletics on a regular basis. Fans arrive early and stay late for her. Again, not something that happens in women’s sports. She got her own cereal for crying out loud! Heck, coaches from other teams are taking potshots at her in games where she wasn’t playing them!

We’ll likely see others down the road that are as good in basketball, but idk if we get that entire package like we do now.

At Iowa? Playing to sold out arena's at every arena in the Big Ten? Ohio St has never opened the 3rd level for a women's game until yesterday. That game was sold out w/18,000 people. Do I wish we could have another CC? Of course. Do I think we will see it again in my lifetime? Probably not.

At Iowa? Playing to sold out arena's at every arena in the Big Ten? Ohio St has never opened the 3rd level for a women's game until yesterday. That game was sold out w/18,000 people. Do I wish we could have another CC? Of course. Do I think we will see it again in my lifetime? Probably not.
If the question is will there ever be someone as good as her talent wise to play for Iowa again then the answer is more than likely yes. Will there ever be someone who changed the way so many feel about the women's game - the answer is likely no. She's like a rock star and nobody could have ever predicted that from her when she came to Iowa. Good for her and the womens game in general.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not; and even if/when we do it almost certainly won’t be at Iowa. Cuz it’s not just her as a player, it’s everything else off the court as well. They’re playing every game in front of sold out crowds - that simply doesn’t happen in women’s athletics on a regular basis. Fans arrive early and stay late for her. Again, not something that happens in women’s sports. She got her own cereal for crying out loud! Heck, coaches from other teams are taking potshots at her in games where she wasn’t playing them!

We’ll likely see others down the road that are as good in basketball, but idk if we get that entire package like we do now.

I would agree that we probably won't see one at Iowa. While the increased attendance is pretty cool it's not unprecedented either. Nebraska has been selling out for home volleyball games since 2013. Selling out games on the road is quite a feet though. I would guess there will be another player that comes along and does that, but she won't be the first, that will always be CC. (Maybe Griner did, I don't know).

There will also be better players in the future, it is just how athletics work. Personally I think Brittney Griner was a more dominant player than Clark, just at a different position. I'm not certain when the "GOAT" conversation started for college and professional sports, but I know the GOAT has changed a number of times in my lifetime in various sports. It's a term that is thrown out way too often about players. Clark is not at that level, yet.

I don't think Clark could earn that title unless she wins a National Title at Iowa, or a number in the WNBA. Has there ever been a player in any sport that has been legitimately argued as the GOAT that has not won multiple titles? (that is a question as I do not know).

I would agree that we probably won't see one at Iowa. While the increased attendance is pretty cool it's not unprecedented either. Nebraska has been selling out for home volleyball games since 2013. Selling out games on the road is quite a feet though. I would guess there will be another player that comes along and does that, but she won't be the first, that will always be CC. (Maybe Griner did, I don't know).

There will also be better players in the future, it is just how athletics work. Personally I think Brittney Griner was a more dominant player than Clark, just at a different position. I'm not certain when the "GOAT" conversation started for college and professional sports, but I know the GOAT has changed a number of times in my lifetime in various sports. It's a term that is thrown out way too often about players. Clark is not at that level, yet.

I don't think Clark could earn that title unless she wins a National Title at Iowa, or a number in the WNBA. Has there ever been a player in any sport that has been legitimately argued as the GOAT that has not won multiple titles? (that is a question as I do not know).
Neb sells out their volleyball games because of their success as a program. Iowa does because of Clark.

Id argue Clark is a better player than Griner - Griner was dominant due to her incredible size/athleticism. She’s not a shooter, not a ball handler. Weve see dominant post players before, and will again. Well probably see incredible shooters or passers that rival Clark, doubt we see that in the same person tho.

what makes Clark standout is her impact both on and off the court. I don’t pretend to have a deep knowledge of women’s hoops but I can’t think of anyone who comes close to what she’s done.

get back to me in 10-15 years when we can reflect a bit regarding GOAT status. She’s going to set so many records in her time in college, but if the flops in the pros, that doesn’t have the same impact then.

Reactions: littlez
Neb sells out their volleyball games because of their success as a program. Iowa does because of Clark.

Id argue Clark is a better player than Griner - Griner was dominant due to her incredible size/athleticism. She’s not a shooter, not a ball handler. Weve see dominant post players before, and will again. Well probably see incredible shooters or passers that rival Clark, doubt we see that in the same person tho.

what makes Clark standout is her impact both on and off the court. I don’t pretend to have a deep knowledge of women’s hoops but I can’t think of anyone who comes close to what she’s done.

get back to me in 10-15 years when we can reflect a bit regarding GOAT status. She’s going to set so many records in her time in college, but if the flops in the pros, that doesn’t have the same impact then.

Good thoughts, thank you.

Here is one reason why I think Griner was more dominant (In her junior season, Griner averaged 23.2 points, 9.4 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.[41] She blocked more shots than any other Division I women's team that season). That is not the only reason, but just one that is a pretty impressive stat. She also won the title that year. She was really hard to like though, at least for me. (maybe it was her coach I didn't like).

On your last paragraph, who do you consider the best men's college player of all time?

Here is why I thought Griner was more dominant (In her junior season, Griner averaged 23.2 points, 9.4 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.[41] She blocked more shots than any other Division I women's team that season). That is not the only reason, but just one that is a pretty impressive stat. She also won the title that year. She was really hard to like though, at least for me. (maybe it was her coach I didn't like).

On your last paragraph, who do you consider the best men's college player of all time?
honestly? Probably Russell.

jordan gets mentioned by many, but he didn’t become JORDAN until his NBA career.

i don’t generally love overall GOAT arguments because of how much a sport evolves over time.

Reactions: WSC72
honestly? Probably Russell.

jordan gets mentioned by many, but he didn’t become JORDAN until his NBA career.

i don’t generally love overall GOAT arguments because of how much a sport evolves over time.

Why do you consider Russell the greatest college player of all time?

Here is one reason why I think Griner was more dominant (In her junior season, Griner averaged 23.2 points, 9.4 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.[41] She blocked more shots than any other Division I women's team that season). That is not the only reason, but just one that is a pretty impressive stat. She also won the title that year. She was really hard to like though, at least for me. (maybe it was her coach I didn't like).

The women's game keeps improving every year. Griner was/is a great player. No offense to Griner but if you compare the 2 rosters of Iowa vs that Baylor team the rest of that Baylor team was clearly more talented. We have a really nice team but Clark is absolutely carrying this team. Look at her usage vs any other player in college ball. There's so much more that goes into winning a national championship than 1 person. If you want to say she has to win a natty then fine. I'll disagree w/that. The Michael Jordan team that won the NCAA tournament included a few other decent players like 7 time all star James Worthy and 17 year NBA vet Sam Perkins. Every great team needs 2-3 players.

Reactions: WSC72
Iowa WBB lost today.
Hostile environment on the road.
Had a lead in the 4th quarter.
Looking ahead, tOSU and Indiana only play each other once while Iowa plays both teams again.
And you come to this board and it would seem that the season is over.

But then you realize that they sell out everywhere they play.
They're a ton of fun to watch.
A generation of young people (both girls and boys) in Iowa are growing up watching this magic.
A bunch of people have signed up for Peacock. Including your parents and they don't know how anything on their smart TV works.
Iowa WBB played on Saturday Night in Prime Time and while people should not have been out in that weather CHA was packed.
Caitlin Clark has her own cereal.

But, yeah, the other stuff.
Oh and I did I mention, that somehow, Iowa is in first place in the B1G?

<This is why we can't have nice things.>

For all of the critics:

When you feel like shit, how well do you perform?

Or do you choose to not perform because you're lying on the couch?

Well, the Iowa women didn't call in sick. They showed up and played a full game plus an extra 5 minutes. No wonder they ran out of gas at the end.

Just something to think about.

The women's game keeps improving every year. Griner was/is a great player. No offense to Griner but if you compare the 2 rosters of Iowa vs that Baylor team the rest of that Baylor team was clearly more talented. We have a really nice team but Clark is absolutely carrying this team. Look at her usage vs any other player in college ball. There's so much more that goes into winning a national championship than 1 person. If you want to say she has to win a natty then fine. I'll disagree w/that. The Michael Jordan team that won the NCAA tournament included a few other decent players like 7 time all star James Worthy and 17 year NBA vet Sam Perkins. Every great team needs 2-3 players.

Thanks. Appreciate you thoughts.

My National Title comment was in reference to had there ever been a player who was legitimately in the conversation of the GOAT who has not won multiple titles?

Why do you consider Russell the greatest college player of all time?

I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other - his was simply the name that popped in my brain first. Basketball in particular is impossible to truly discuss with the changes in the sport. Shot clock, 3 point line, tournament expansion, etc.

Reactions: littlez and WSC72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT