ADVERTISEMENT

What drives millions of people’s stupidity when it comes to Caitlin?

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
I keep seeing social media posts about women’s basketball and the comment sections always follow a common theme.

People upset that Caitlin gets so much attention, people of color seem to be majority anti-Clark claiming that there are several players better than Caitlin and generally showing somewhat of an animosity toward her (is this a reaction to what they perceive as Caitlin fans/ Iowa fans saying racist things about Angel Reese?), many people saying all she can do is shoot (despite the fact she’s top 5 all time in NCAAW BBall in assists) and that she can’t play defense (stupid as **** and immediately tells me the person doesn’t watch her games.) or that she shoots 40 times per game.

Again, why does fandom around Caitlin split so heavily along racial lines? Caitlin herself hasn’t ever said anything racist or negative about Angel or Dawn or Sheryl or any other women of color that are seen as “antagonists” of CC.

Antonio Brown’s comments to CC were uncalled for too, but that doesn’t mean I dont like JuJu Watkins.

Make it make sense

I keep seeing social media posts about women’s basketball and the comment sections always follow a common theme.

People upset that Caitlin gets so much attention, people of color seem to be majority anti-Clark claiming that there are several players better than Caitlin and generally showing somewhat of an animosity toward her (is this a reaction to what they perceive as Caitlin fans/ Iowa fans saying racist things about Angel Reese?), many people saying all she can do is shoot (despite the fact she’s top 5 all time in NCAAW BBall in assists) and that she can’t play defense (stupid as **** and immediately tells me the person doesn’t watch her games.) or that she shoots 40 times per game.

Again, why does fandom around Caitlin split so heavily along racial lines? Caitlin herself hasn’t ever said anything racist or negative about Angel or Dawn or Sheryl or any other women of color that are seen as “antagonists” of CC.

Antonio Brown’s comments to CC were uncalled for too, but that doesn’t mean I dont like JuJu Watkins.

Make it make sense
There's no sense to be made. As I've said before there will never be a truce with the race issue because too many people (mostly of color) think that racism is something that can only be done by whites against people of color. This just seems to be inherently ingrained in people regardless of how ridiculous it is.

Its multiple things:
- There were 10 million people watching the title game when the Angel Reece stuff went down. Because so many people were watching it escaped the normal two day news cycle and spread outside of normal basketball fans into people who only cared because of the color of the players involved.
- DEI initiatives have lead tv/news networks to focus more on women's sports, and especially women's college basketball
- NIL deals mean have lead to far more promotion of student athletes than there has ever been before.
- The way Clark plays naturally draws attention, both because of her wow moments, but also her complaining to ref and frustration moments. She is the type of player you want on your team, but is easy to hate when she plays for someone else.
- Clark is good at marketing and messaging to kids, which pulls in the parents. Her self promotion is subtle, but very effective

The people complaining that past superstars never got this kind of attention are correct, Parker/Miller/Styles or even Plum never got this type of attention. So she gets both a lot more love and a lot more hate. If you are a Clark fan you notice the hate more than the love. If you are a Clark critic, you notice the Love much more than the hate.

Make it make sense
Ratings are way up and that is mainly Clark. Sue Bird and a lot of UConn women got a lot of pub, Cheryl Miller got a lot of pub but she was Reggies's sister also.

These games used to have 400K people watching in regular season and now areans are totally full and 3-10 million are watching games. I am not totally sure but it seems some of the coaches and other players are going off the deep end with the histrionics also. Lot's of pressure.

But Clark gets so many double and triple doubles it is hard to ignore. She is basically a long shooting pt guard with great ballhandling who can drive but she also gets all those assists and rebounds. The rebounds by a point guard is amazing. she is very good on defense, she seems to make big defensive plays late in games when needed.

I think it’s the sheer volume of coverage she gets… It can be a little fatiguing. The fact that she’s become even more demonstrative on the court lately doesn’t help. Nothing turns people off faster than somebody who constantly complains to the refs.
EDIT: citizen Hawk makes a good observation, if the last two games are the only impression some people have of her it hasn’t been her best look.

Last edited:
A LOT of people have only seen her play in the last two games. A lot of others have decided to forget how she dominated Louisville and SC in the Tourney last year. Whatever it is, if their only snapshot of Iowa and Clark is these past few games, and they came into either of those games waiting to be impressed, a common takeaway from that might be that Iowa and Clark are overrated, and then they try to understand how this girl became so popular and well-regarded as a player. Obviously haven't been paying attention. Welcome to watching NCAAW.

The argument "They need her to win," whatever the hell that means, seems to be a common refrain. It's dismissive of the team, Clark, and Bluder, and I'm glad they stay above such nonsense, but I also wouldn't mind a lot of heavy pushback from them with regard to this narrative.

It's Bluder's way to always hype the team up with their confidence levels, but I don't think it would be such a bad time to start telling them they are the underdogs at this dance. Circle the wagons.

Make it make sense
You answered your own question in the first 6 words of your post.

Some of it is jealousy. Some of it is racial. Some of it is people who always go against the grain. Some of it is people who think she's getting too much media attention. Some of it is a feeling that she gets too many breaks from the refs. And some of it is people who are put off by her behavior after having been told she's a saint.

Some of it is jealousy. Some of it is racial. Some of it is people who always go against the grain. Some of it is people who think she's getting too much media attention. Some of it is a feeling that she gets too many breaks from the refs. And some of it is people who are put off by her behavior after having been told she's a saint.
Those who have only tuned in lately have NO comprehension that she is TWO totally different people in the body of a maturing 22 year old. Wright Thompson story was very revealing. ON the court she's an Apex predator, "a ponytailed Kobe" he called her. She wants to steal your soul during a game. Off the floor, she's thoughtful. kind, gracious, a delightful young woman. Her struggle has her often trying to comprehend just who she is, so its no wonder that people on the outside who only see snapshots during games, don't understand her at all....

Really? She’s white, she is making coin, she is wildly popular and bring eyeballs to women basketball that never watched before, she comes from a family that has done well and she gets a ton of publicity. Pretty easy to see why….it’s not right but in todays climate it’s to be expected. Pathetic? Yes. But that is where we are as a society.

The same reason people hate LeBron James.

They love you until they hate you... It seemed that LeBron got the love a lot longer before the hate (the "Decision" with Miami felt like the first time that his shine was wearing off for many "fans"). Although, he skipped college, so probably wasn't much older!

All the dumba$$ opinions are amplified with social media too. Any mistake or wrong look towards a ref is put on replay too!

I’m an Iowa fan and I get tired of all the attention she gets, so are a lot of people I know. I get it, but it’s still annoying.

I’m also tired of her constant bitching at the officials and overall shitty attitude, especially lately.

I also wouldn’t trade her for anyone!

All I have to say to the haters and those who hate the haters is:
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Its multiple things:
- There were 10 million people watching the title game when the Angel Reece stuff went down. Because so many people were watching it escaped the normal two day news cycle and spread outside of normal basketball fans into people who only cared because of the color of the players involved.
- DEI initiatives have lead tv/news networks to focus more on women's sports, and especially women's college basketball
- NIL deals mean have lead to far more promotion of student athletes than there has ever been before.
- The way Clark plays naturally draws attention, both because of her wow moments, but also her complaining to ref and frustration moments. She is the type of player you want on your team, but is easy to hate when she plays for someone else.
- Clark is good at marketing and messaging to kids, which pulls in the parents. Her self promotion is subtle, but very effective

The people complaining that past superstars never got this kind of attention are correct, Parker/Miller/Styles or even Plum never got this type of attention. So she gets both a lot more love and a lot more hate. If you are a Clark fan you notice the hate more than the love. If you are a Clark critic, you notice the Love much more than the hate.
I think Plum got much more coverage for CC breaking her record than she got for setting the record.

Make it make sense
Because Iowa isn't supposed to have nice things. We are supposed to have good guys and gals that are pretty good and try real hard. Iowa having a superstar blows the mind of of the haters, and they go out of their way to tear her down.

None of it pissed me off until Geno the other day. Eff him. He has had YEARS of his players getting attention. Almost 2 decades of titles and all time greats. But all of a sudden, a kid he was too stupid to offer, playing for Iowa, and he’s butthurt she’s getting attention over his kid. Damn that irritates me. Just embrace your successes Geno, and maybe let Iowa enjoy this kid without comment.

Make it make sense
It’s split along racial lines because there are just as many black racists as white racists.

Which group are you?

I’m an Iowa fan and I get tired of all the attention she gets, so are a lot of people I know. I get it, but it’s still annoying.

I’m also tired of her constant bitching at the officials and overall shitty attitude, especially lately.

I also wouldn’t trade her for anyone!

All I have to say to the haters and those who hate the haters is:
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF
One thing that I think gets totally lost in her "bitching at the refs" detractors". She is THE most ball dominant player in the game. She scores OR assists on a higher % of points then any player ever, so she has the ball, (and the attention), all the time. ALL the players bitch at the refs on almost every call on them. Pretty much every call. Nobody things the foul is on them, or that they should get the and1. Now understand that Clark has the ball 10 times as much as most players AND draws the attention AND physical play of multiple defenders on almost every play. Literally her chances of being fouled are multiplied numerous times over most players because of this. Then consider EVERY eye, and camera is on her constantly. All things to be considered.

A LOT of people have only seen her play in the last two games. A lot of others have decided to forget how she dominated Louisville and SC in the Tourney last year. Whatever it is, if their only snapshot of Iowa and Clark is these past few games, and they came into either of those games waiting to be impressed, a common takeaway from that might be that Iowa and Clark are overrated, and then they try to understand how this girl became so popular and well-regarded as a player. Obviously haven't been paying attention. Welcome to watching NCAAW.

The argument "They need her to win," whatever the hell that means, seems to be a common refrain. It's dismissive of the team, Clark, and Bluder, and I'm glad they stay above such nonsense, but I also wouldn't mind a lot of heavy pushback from them with regard to this narrative.

It's Bluder's way to always hype the team up with their confidence levels, but I don't think it would be such a bad time to start telling them they are the underdogs at this dance. Circle the wagons.
Because the national media needs Iowa to win. IOWA. Most of them don't even know where Iowa is let alone wants Iowa to win.

NIL is a blessing and a curse for her also. She’s making a ton of money and getting a lot of added exposure, but these detractors follow. All the great women players before her didn’t have have NIL and people are jealous and pissed that “their girl” didn’t get the same treatment without understanding it’s a completely different environment today.

Lebron has haters. Mahomes has haters. Tom Brady had haters. Tiger and MJ had haters. The best players will always have haters.

Some of Caitlin’s criticism is unique because she’s a woman, and some people don’t like seeing women being intense / emotional. Unfair double standard.

It is hard to accept at times, because much of it is driven by jealousy and stupidity, but no matter what some people do they will have haters.

I agree. She has always been theatrical and seems to thrive on drama. I think it’s her way of dealing with the pressure. But I feel she’s gone a bit over the top lately.
Oh wait, Caitlin isn’t a well behaved saintly Iowa farm girl like you demand her to be? JFC! She’s first and foremost a competitor who wants her team to win. What a bunch of misogynistic, double standard BS coming from the jealous coaches and fans - and all too increasingly coming from “alleged” Iowa boosters like you.

NIL is a blessing and a curse for her also. She’s making a ton of money and getting a lot of added exposure, but these detractors follow. All the great women players before her didn’t have have NIL and people are jealous and pissed that “their girl” didn’t get the same treatment without understanding it’s a completely different environment today.
espn is putting out a 97 page special edition magazine about clark
there is a 5 story banner downtown by Nike
we have seen the All-State Caitlin cam.
Caitlin has commercials running during most major wbb games

None of this is normal for a college athlete, all of this is major corporations cashing in on her fame. This is causing a lot of jealousy, its also leading to Caitlin fatigue because its just so much and its over the top. At the same time, she is a showman, Iowa games feel like an event not just a game. Its the way she interacts with the crowd. Its the timed moments when she hits those logo threes. Its the consistent yet seemingly random WOW plays scattered in. She is just a compelling player to watch.

Make it make sense
Bots..and a lot of dumbasses.

Oh wait, Caitlin isn’t a well behaved saintly Iowa farm girl like you demand her to be? JFC! She’s first and foremost a competitor who wants her team to win. What a bunch of misogynistic, double standard BS coming from the jealous coaches and fans - and all too increasingly coming from “alleged” Iowa boosters like you.

Yeah, that's what he said. ;) Some of the responses are worse than the criticisms.

The vast majority of fans love CC's intensity and competitiveness...she's a generational player. So what if she dropped an f-bomb. No biggie. She's been special to watch. She's also been very generous with her time off the court with fans. Terrific person.

What some don't like is her increasing on-court complaining to the refs, dramatic gesturing in frustration when things don't do her way, etc. (and it has been happening more lately) Most fans don't like that in any athlete...male or female. LeBron James gets called out for it constantly as do other players who act similarly, so it's not a double standard. It comes with the territory.

Reactions: hawksurprize
You think a country that has millions of people supporting a criminal for president has good judgment? LOL

This country is a mess, and sports is caught up in the whole morass brought to us by a political cult. If that cult leader doesn't end up in prison soon, then any chance of decency, fairness, and democracy will be dead. And it's clear that not even sports will be exempt.

The attacks on CC are gutless emobiments of the worst human nature has to offer, but that's how this political cult has told people to act for the last several years. It's disgusting, and it needs to end.

I think part of it is when someone is one of the best at what they do people try any way possible to tear them down. Unfortunate as it is that is society today. It sucks.
Agreed. ^^ And I think it is greatly accelerated these days with social media and even regular media. There are so many "content providers" out there that need to fill their slot everyday with something to talk about. So they just squeeze every possible ounce out of any given subject as 4 to 5 personalities talk about the subject incessantly.

TV, radio, podcasts, etc, etc, IMO we don't "need" that much "analysis"...but since we essentially consume it (ratings and clicks)...we keep getting more of it.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
You think a country that has millions of people supporting a criminal for president has good judgment? LOL

This country is a mess, and sports is caught up in the whole morass brought to us by a political cult. If that cult leader doesn't end up in prison soon, then any chance of decency, fairness, and democracy will be dead. And it's clear that not even sports will be exempt.

The attacks on CC are gutless emobiments of the worst human nature has to offer, but that's how this political cult has told people to act for the last several years. It's disgusting, and it needs to end.
So in short, people are criticizing Clark because of Trump? Interesting take.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT