ADVERTISEMENT

18.9M Viewers vs South Carolina(All-Time College WBB Record); 14.4M vs UConn; 12.3M vs LSU; 6.87M vs Colorado; 4.9M vs W Virginia; 3.23M vs Holy Cross

what do you think the number will be for UConn?

And for South Carolina?
It was a late game on the east coast so, I'd guess around 10M, which is phenomenal for late Friday game. I live in NJ and have heard many people mention the game that aren't Iowa fans, so I could see it being up to 14M.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It was a late game on the east coast so, I'd guess around 10M, which is phenomenal for late Friday game. I live in NJ and have heard many people mention the game that aren't Iowa fans, so I could see it being up to 14M.

i keep hearing that these numbers are sustainable moving forward

umm, with Caitlin gone next year, will America continue to tune in to women's college basketball?

I hope so, but I fear otherwise

Good story, breaking the numbers down even more.

Iowa-UConn breaks days-old record with 14.2 million viewers

By Jon Lewis
April 6, 2024

For the second-straight game, Caitlin Clark and Iowa played in front of the largest women’s college basketball audience on record.

Friday’s Iowa-UConn NCAA women’s basketball tournament national semifinal averaged 14.2 million viewers across ESPN and ESPN2, per Nielsen fast-nationals, surpassing Iowa-LSU in the Elite Eight four days earlier (12.3M) as the largest NCAA women’s basketball audience ever recorded by Nielsen.

The Hawkeyes’ win delivered the third-largest basketball audience — college or pro, men or women — in the past two years, trailing last Sunday’s NC State-Duke men’s regional final (15.1M) and last year’s UConn-San Diego State men’s national title game (14.7M). On the ESPN networks specifically, it was the most-watched basketball game since Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals (Raptors-Warriors: 18.59M).

It also delivered the tenth-largest basketball audience ever on cable, behind eight games in the NCAA men’s Final Four and Game 7 of the 2016 and 2018 NBA Western Conference Finals (Thunder-Warriors: 16.0M; Warriors-Rockets: 14.8M).

While the record audience for Iowa-UConn is the overarching headline, the more encouraging figure long-term may have been for South Carolina-NC State earlier in the night. South Carolina easily dispatched a low-profile Wolfpack squad in front of a television audience of 7.1 million viewers, trailing only Iowa-UConn and a Virginia-Stanford game on CBS in 1992 (8.1M) as the most-watched national semifinal on record.

Together, the semifinal games averaged 10.8 million viewers — more-than-double last year.

USATSI_22953147-scaled-e1712435720366-750x375.jpg

Apr 5, 2024; Cleveland, Ohio. Iowa Hawkeyes guard Caitlin Clark (22) controls the ball against Connecticut Huskies guard Paige Bueckers (5) in the 4th quarter in the semifinals of the Final Four of the Women's 2024 NCAA Tournament at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse.

Iowa is #1, #2 and #5 on this all-time list.

The most-watched NCAA women’s basketball tournament games​

#12: 1989 final, Tennessee def. Auburn (CBS): 7.22 million viewers​

Pat Summitt and Tennessee won their second national championship in front of a CBS television audience of 7.22 million viewers, the largest for the national title in three years. (This was the first national title game of the Nielsen people meter era — 1988-present — which is generally how far back network records go.)

#11: 1991 final, Tennessee def. Virginia (CBS): 7.33 million​

Tennessee won again in 1991 and again proved to move the needle. Viewership not only outpaced their previous title game in ’89, but surged 57 percent over Stanford’s title game victory the prior year (4.67M).

#10: 1995 final, UConn def. Tennessee (CBS): 7.44 million​

The first national title meeting of Geno Auriemma and Pat Summitt was also the last national title game to air on CBS. UConn’s first of many national title victories attracted 7.44 million viewers, up 37 percent from the prior year.

#9: 1993 final, Texas Tech def. Ohio State (CBS): 7.81 million​

Led by future Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes, Texas Tech edged Ohio State for the national title in front of a television audience of 7.81 million, the highest for the title game in seven years.

#8: 1992 national semifinal, Stanford def. Virginia (CBS): 8.08 million​

One of 2 games on this list that was not for the national championship, Stanford’s 1992 Final Four victory over Virginia averaged 8.08 million on CBS, which until 2023 was the largest women’s college basketball audience of the Nielsen people meter era (1988-present). The actual national title game did not fare nearly as well, as Stanford’s win over Western Kentucky averaged just 5.52 million the following day.

#7: 1984 final, USC def. Tennessee (CBS): 8.29 million​

Cheryl Miller’s second-straight — and final — national championship was won in front of a television audience of 8.29 million viewers, but that marked a sharp decline from the Trojans’ win the prior year.

#6: 1982 final, Louisiana Tech def. Cheyney State (CBS): 8.79 million​

In the first NCAA women’s basketball national championship, 8.79 million viewers tuned in to watch Louisiana Tech (featuring future LSU coach Kim Mulkey) defeat Cheyney State.

#5: 2023 final, LSU def. Iowa (ABC and ESPN2): 9.92 million​

After CBS gave up rights to the women’s tournament in 1995, the event moved to ESPN. For 25 years, all ESPN coverage was limited to its cable networks, and viewership declined accordingly. It took until 2023 before the national title game aired on broadcast television again, just in time for a sharp upswing in interest in women’s basketball fueled largely by Iowa’s Caitlin Clark.

Following increased viewership throughout the early rounds and national semifinals, the national title game between Clark’s Hawkeyes and Angel Reese and LSU averaged nearly ten million viewers across ABC and ESPN2 — easily the largest women’s college basketball audience of the people meter era.

#4: 1986 final, Texas def. USC (CBS): 11.22 million​

In the final college game played by Cheryl Miller, USC fell short to Texas in a national title game viewed by 11.22 million viewers — a 62 percent increase over the prior year.

#3: 1983 final, USC def. Louisiana Tech (CBS): 11.84 million​

Cheryl Miller’s first national championship attracted an audience of 11.84 million viewers, up 35% from the inaugural title game a year earlier

#2: 2024 Elite 8, Iowa def. LSU (ESPN): 12.3 million​

#1: 2024 Final Four, Iowa def. UConn (ESPN): 14.2 million​

Reactions: Moral
Nebraska fans are trying to tell me that the reason the women's numbers are high is because men and women are watching. Women don't want the men's game as much.

I told them SC/NC state had 7.1 million viewers vs Iowa/Uconns game was 14.2 million viewers and 17 mil peak.

Why aren't all these men watching the SC game them?

It's ok to admit that Caitlin is the reason for the high viewership numbers, they just don't want to hear it.

Reactions: MitchLL and Moral
i keep hearing that these numbers are sustainable moving forward

umm, with Caitlin gone next year, will America continue to tune in to women's college basketball?

I hope so, but I fear otherwise
No. They didn't maintain the last time there was a similar number with Cheryl Miller. I don't know what would change that now. People are watching because of players like Miller and Clark.

What I do hope is that far more people become Iowa fans as a result of Clark being here and more of our existing fans become regulars as a result. That will ensure we maintain our presence nationally.

the full text of the tweet:

At 14.2 million viewers, last night's Iowa-UConn game averaged more viewers than:

• Any women's CBB game ever

• Every 2023 NBA Finals game

• Every 2023 World Series game

• The 2023 Orange Bowl

• The 2023 Big Ten Championship

• The 2023 Cotton Bowl

• The 2023 Pac-12 Championship

• The 2023 Big-12 Championship

• The 2023 ACC Championship

• The 2023 Peach Bowl

• The 2023 Masters Final Round

• The 2023 Daytona 500

• The 2023 Indianapolis 500

• Every tennis grand slam final (men's & women's)

• Every 2023 CFB regular season game except one

Even crazier, there is a legitimate chance that this year's women's national championship game draws more viewers than the men's.

That's incredible.

I’ll eat my words on this one. I thought nothing would top Iowa/LSU, but I was wrong. The ship tomorrow may break an average of 15 million with how hyped it is.

i think her WNBA game TV ratings are going to be huge, too

These record audiences are coincidences, right? Just because Caitlin happens to be involved in all of them has nothing to do with her? Come on now. How capricious to insinuate one player can be so impactful. The stats can't bear this out...

OH, wait.

No. They didn't maintain the last time there was a similar number with Cheryl Miller. I don't know what would change that now. People are watching because of players like Miller and Clark.

What I do hope is that far more people become Iowa fans as a result of Clark being here and more of our existing fans become regulars as a result. That will ensure we maintain our presence nationally.
What's fascinating is that the numbers watching back in the era of Cheryl Miller were also likely watching because there were fewer viewing options back then. That was back in the era when network television still ruled the roost.

Now we're in the era of streaming media ... where there are tons of viewing options. Hell ... many people don't even watch "normal" broadcasts anymore and just watch youtube videos and things of that nature.

So when it's reported that so many folks are tuning into women's basketball now ... there are factors that have to be driving those numbers. We all know that the "Caitlin effect" is part of the story ... furthermore, part of it is that the folks shelling out the dough for NIL deals have a vested interest in making players celebrities. Young fans gravitate toward the celebrities blossoming before them.

The question now is ... are these young new viewers (and new older viewers) "hooked?" Or are they only invested in watching because of Caitlin?

Given how sports fandom works ... once folks get "hooked" ... they often are fans for life. So you have to figure that a decent percentage of folks who got lured into watching the game because of Caitlin will continue to watch. Obviously, not everyone will ... so the question is ... how many will keep watching?

Furthermore, the women's game has some other fantastic players like Hidalgo, Bueckers, and Watkins. Anybody see Hidalgo steal the ball this year? Impressive! Bueckers obviously has a tremendous all-around game. And I wholly expect Watkins to pass Caitlin's scoring record. I see exciting times ahead.

I would surmise that the numbers may not keep on reaching such ridiculous highs ... but I would guess that they will still be fairly high. The fact that players stick around longer in the college women's game AND because the game is played more below the rim allow for the quality of the product to easily rival the entertainment-factor of the men's collegiate game. Hell ... I get tired of the lack of defense and consistent effort by the NBA ... so I've been more entertained by the women's game over the past few years.

Reactions: AEG82 and HFan1981
And I wholly expect Watkins to pass Caitlin's scoring record.
I don’t. Yes, it is certainly possible but not a given - especially when you take into account the conference change and the top level talent that USC is bringing in next year. If a book laid odds, I’d bet against it.

I would say yes. This is just an incredible matchup. Caitlin and company against the machine. Undefeated team against the goat of women's college basketball. Thru the roof I say!
Yes, but remember, IOWA is the ONLY team to beat SC in the last 2+ seasons. The Hawkeyes can do it again.

And I fully expect tomorrow's ABC telecast to reach 21 millon.

It is interesting how much E$PN has screwed the pooch on Clark and the Hawks.

They would continually state that A. Boston was the best player in the women's game. (Short sided)

Promote LSU & S. Carolina as the two best teams in America.

They FINALLY came over to the dark side early this year and recognized Clark & Iowa. Even then, they had mouth pieces like Carolyn Peck continuing to pick against them.

If they would have set their bias to the side and embraced Clark & Iowa two years ago, E$PN would have made more money.

Yes, but remember, IOWA is the ONLY team to beat SC in the last 2+ seasons. The Hawkeyes can do it again.

And I fully expect tomorrow's ABC telecast to reach 21 millon.
All the haters from the teams Iowa has left in their wake will tune in hoping to watch SC dispatch the Hawks. The rest of the nation wants the Hawks to shut up the old guard one more time and Caitlin to get her 'ship. 21.1 million..

I think the NC State / SC game had such a high viewership because hawk fans wanted to see who they would be playing.

I dont think it had anything to do with SC or NC State.
Or ...fans tuned in early before the Iowa game so they didn't miss the Hawks.

Either way, regardless what happens tomorrow, CC and Iowa have put WBB on the map.

Suck it, haters!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT