ADVERTISEMENT

197 lbs. Preview: Warner

Every 197 ranked in the top 10 is an upperclassmen besides Warner.

If he put on some strength this off-season he can definitely contend for a title.

Agreed with Todd - need more offense from neutral this year.

Reactions: Grip220
Every 197 ranked in the top 10 is an upperclassmen besides Warner.

If he put on some strength this off-season he can definitely contend for a title.

Agreed with Todd - need more offense from neutral this year.

Not sure what rankings you're going by, but Tanner Sloan is a frosh.

Warner has the physical tools it was the mental issues that slowed him down last year. Got more confident and it paid off at ncaas. I expect big things this year
There seemed to be some physical issues early in the season as well. He did sit out against Purdue and maybe others. It was 12 months ago so I don’t recall the specifics. It seemed to be he was sick like some others, including Spencer. Can’t say it was the same thing but he wasn’t healthy in some way or another early. If he’s healthy from the jump, sky is the limit. Other than bottom against Wiegel, who was great on top, he was solid in all positions

I don't see all the injuries you local gents get access to, but in watching him last year he seemed to wait around for others to create the action, kind of Cash-like. Freshman or not, he wrestled in 27 or 28 matches and only had 6 bonus point wins. That's not good. He's a badass, but like Cash he almost always seemed to wrestle to the competition, except for against Sloan, who demolished him. Would like to see Jacob be much more aggressive this year. Like Cash, he has the ability...he just needs to put the foot on the pedal and not quit till his opponent is defeated, mentally and physically. If some of our boys don't start wrestling to destroy vice wrestling to WBD, we will never get back to #1, no matter who's on our team.

Reactions: the_hermanator
I don't see all the injuries you local gents get access to, but in watching him last year he seemed to wait around for others to create the action, kind of Cash-like. Freshman or not, he wrestled in 27 or 28 matches and only had 6 bonus point wins. That's not good. He's a badass, but like Cash he almost always seemed to wrestle to the competition, except for against Sloan, who demolished him. Would like to see Jacob be much more aggressive this year. Like Cash, he has the ability...he just needs to put the foot on the pedal and not quit till his opponent is defeated, mentally and physically. If some of our boys don't start wrestling to destroy vice wrestling to WBD, we will never get back to #1, no matter who's on our team.
Glad you're so positive:p Were you an all american back in your hay day?

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Sprained ankle early in the season. Seemed to have confidance problems after that. Lost a couple of head scratchers at NCAA’s, but proved to himself that he could AA. I think he will mature and be what he believes he can be.

Reactions: ff141
Whether we win a National title or not will be based on both Wilcke and Warners ability to rise up.
One of the things I wish we would stop is the mantra " well everyone ranked above so an so will be gone next year so we should win or place higher".

Glad you're so positive:p Were you an all american back in your hay day?

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know this forum wasn't for our real opinions, and that we could only post positive comments. My bad. Honestly, I wasn't even a wrestler, so I guess I probably need to be booted from the site? LOL! :) All joking aside, I'm very positive. I'm positive and feel really good with how I think 6 of our 10 wrestlers will fare this year. I love Kem, but unlike you local guys, I don't get to see him perform so am not positive that we have the same Kem back after the injuries the poor man has been through the last couple years. I'm not positive about Cass only because he's a RS fresh and despite having a great season unattached, he was challenged by a couple of the top HWTs. That said, he's a beast and if he finishes in the to 10 or so I'll be very happy based on how he performed last year (and the fact that he's only a freshman). I'm not positive on Cash because he doesn't go on the offensive; he waits until the end to try to make something happen. I'm very upbeat on his potential, but don't think his style will enable him to achieve his potential. And I'm not positive on Jacob only because I did get to see all of his matches last year, including the smackdown he got from Sloan, and I just didn't like what I saw from a man with his skill set. In many of his matches he appeared lethargic and didn't push the action, which in my opinion resulted in several close matches that shouldn't have been close, and a couple losses that could have been avoided. He's incredibly talented (I'm very positive on that front); I'm just hoping for a more energized and exciting Warner this year.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Sloan looks to be a talent, but that match was a complete abberation IMO. Warner got down, and down on himself and frankly gave up IMO. Disheartening to see, but that's what happened I believe. He can beat Sloan, and many others.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know this forum wasn't for our real opinions, and that we could only post positive comments. My bad. Honestly, I wasn't even a wrestler, so I guess I probably need to be booted from the site? LOL! :) All joking aside, I'm very positive. I'm positive and feel really good with how I think 6 of our 10 wrestlers will fare this year. I love Kem, but unlike you local guys, I don't get to see him perform so am not positive that we have the same Kem back after the injuries the poor man has been through the last couple years. I'm not positive about Cass only because he's a RS fresh and despite having a great season unattached, he was challenged by a couple of the top HWTs. That said, he's a beast and if he finishes in the to 10 or so I'll be very happy based on how he performed last year (and the fact that he's only a freshman). I'm not positive on Cash because he doesn't go on the offensive; he waits until the end to try to make something happen. I'm very upbeat on his potential, but don't think his style will enable him to achieve his potential. And I'm not positive on Jacob only because I did get to see all of his matches last year, including the smackdown he got from Sloan, and I just didn't like what I saw from a man with his skill set. In many of his matches he appeared lethargic and didn't push the action, which in my opinion resulted in several close matches that shouldn't have been close, and a couple losses that could have been avoided. He's incredibly talented (I'm very positive on that front); I'm just hoping for a more energized and exciting Warner this year.

Pretty ridiculous take on a freshman AA, especially given the strides Warner made over the course of the season. Using an early Midlands match to try to support your view is just dumb given the context. But hey free country, post away ...

Warner will have a chance to show where he is at should he wrestle at Midlands this year. Going to be a great place to see a lot of the team and who in fact has jumped levels. Who looks to dominate and who is looking to just get by. The difference is that this year, at a few weights, there is most likely someone looking to take your spot if you cannot widen the gap.

5 of us going and it should be a good time.

Imo Warner’s main issue is that he’s been wrestling men in a large child’s body. Just looking at his face you can see his physical age is way under most guys his size. So I am actually super impressed with what has accomplished.

At some point he’s going to turn into a man, and when that happens he is going to be a beast. I haven’t seen him since March. Maybe it happened over the summer(?)

From the team photos it didn’t look like it and I thought the camera was supposed to add 10 lbs.

Pretty ridiculous take on a freshman AA, especially given the strides Warner made over the course of the season. Using an early Midlands match to try to support your view is just dumb given the context. But hey free country, post away ...

I mentioned Sloan only because of the severity of the loss, but I used the entire season as a references when I said, "I saw all of his matches." And what strides are you talking about? I think he was pretty consistent all year long (lots of close matches and some head scratching losses, even at NCAAs). So unless you define those "strides" your view is "just dumb given the context" since you didn't articulate a thing. If you're going to come back at me please try and use a little logic instead of the nebulous blah, blah, blah you provided.

I mentioned Sloan only because of the severity of the loss, but I used the entire season as a references when I said, "I saw all of his matches." And what strides are you talking about? I think he was pretty consistent all year long (lots of close matches and some head scratching losses, even at NCAAs). So unless you define those "strides" your view is "just dumb given the context" since you didn't articulate a thing. If you're going to come back at me please try and use a little logic instead of the nebulous blah, blah, blah you provided.

Context? He's a freshman. There are gonna be ups and downs all year long. Emphasizing an early season match as your only specific example is, as said, dumb. And strides? How about going from 5th at a weak Midlands to an NCAA AA at year end? How about the gut check on the consolation side at B1Gs? There have only been 20 4xAAs in program history. Barring an injury, Jacob has likely completed the hardest year of this accomplishment. The season didn't end like he wanted, but it was a very successful freshman campaign. Looking forward to seeing how stupid you look at year end.

Reactions: IAChief32
I was critical at times last year, simply because you can plainly see how damn talented he is. I was praying he could take that next step last year. I was so happy for him and proud of him for the strides he made over the course of the year, and if he can get his neutral offense going, he’s going to be a runaway freight train! I can’t wait to see what he looks like this season, only good things lie a head for him.

Context? He's a freshman. There are gonna be ups and downs all year long. Emphasizing an early season match as your only specific example is, as said, dumb. And strides? How about going from 5th at a weak Midlands to an NCAA AA at year end? How about the gut check on the consolation side at B1Gs? There have only been 20 4xAAs in program history. Barring an injury, Jacob has likely completed the hardest year of this accomplishment. The season didn't end like he wanted, but it was a very successful freshman campaign. Looking forward to seeing how stupid you look at year end.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind getting beat up as long as someone gives me something to work with. And while I concur that being a freshman is a huge deal, now that he's a sophomore I'm hoping to see a bit more. And well, I just didn't see it yesterday. Hopefully something will change and he'll be able to find some offense, especially against unranked opponents. And clearly, it's not fair to be too critical in the first match of the year, and perhaps the poke in the eye was more serious than it looked since he was clearly bothered by it. BLUF: I want to see his potential unleashed. He's got incredible talent and I want to see it. Our men need to work towards bonus points, not towards surviving 7 minutes and eking out wins against significantly weaker opponents (see yesterday's match). Again, thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT