ADVERTISEMENT

1986, Rose Bowl, Eric Ball and .. Ronnie Harmon

Time flys. I thought it was a lot more recent than that. I do recall some Iowa sportswriters attempting to tell the public not to boo him when he was introduced. They knew there were and are plenty of Iowa faithful that are confident he threw the Rose Bowl, and I agree with that crowd. If it walk's like a duck....

I think the theme was you don't have to cheer him, just do nothing. I think that is what eventually happened for the most part.

I wasn't at that game - remind me, was he boo'd and if so, was it fairly isolated or pretty obvious?

I'm trying to think what I would have done if I'd been there. I don't think I would have clapped or boo'd. Probably just stood there not sure what to think.

I wasn't at that game - remind me, was he boo'd and if so, was it fairly isolated or pretty obvious?

I'm trying to think what I would have done if I'd been there. I don't think I would have clapped or boo'd. Probably just stood there not sure what to think.
I was not at the game either. I just remember the sportswriters trying to get out in front of a potentially ugly situation, and if they are publicly doing that, you know they've been around a lot of folks who probably never want to see Ronnie Harmon in Iowa City again.

Without question Harmon is one of the best backs in Iowa History, and he has to my knowledge been largely invisible as it relates to Iowa City and the Football Program in general. His legacy is clearly tarnished. Sad.

I was not at the game either. I just remember the sportswriters trying to get out in front of a potentially ugly situation, and if they are publicly doing that, you know they've been around a lot of folks who probably never want to see Ronnie Harmon in Iowa City again.

Without question Harmon is one of the best backs in Iowa History, and he has to my knowledge been largely invisible as it relates to Iowa City and the Football Program in general. His legacy is clearly tarnished. Sad.
I was at the game and Ronnie was given a warm reception, and I am glad he was.

Adding to the conspiracy theories is that Lloyd Bloom was found dead a few years later...

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-28/local/me-28816_1_sports-agent

Also, it was quite common knowledge during the 1985 season that Harmon and Mitchell was frequenting what was the Greyhound Depot and Western Union window on Gilbert Street. The assumption was that they were getting money wired to them vs. a telegram from Queens...

Ronnie threw the game - it's hard to come to any other conclusion. The guy had hands the size of softball gloves. He didn't fumble against Michigan on a wet day, and I don't think he fumbled against OSU on a rainy day - despite being pounded by two excellent defenses.

He would have had to have his eyes closed to drop that pass in the end zone.

HF is a class act. He would never blame Harmon for the loss.

He actually had 1273 touches and he fumbled 16 times.

You are correct, gentlemen...thank you for pointing out my glaring error. 1,273 is the correct number, not 12 thou.

Still a noteworthy number, and according to his NFL stat profile, it reflects only 7 total fumbles during his career.

Adding to the conspiracy theories is that Lloyd Bloom was found dead a few years later...

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-28/local/me-28816_1_sports-agent

Also, it was quite common knowledge during the 1985 season that Harmon and Mitchell was frequenting what was the Greyhound Depot and Western Union window on Gilbert Street. The assumption was that they were getting money wired to them vs. a telegram from Queens...

I hate it when guilty people get judgements over-turned on appeal. And of course when he lost in civil court he never paid the judgement.
Addition by subtraction imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT