Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 84 48.6%
  • Forrest Gump

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
Bullets Over Broadway? I honestly don't remember that one. Pulp Fiction was good, but it wasn't on the same plane as Shawshank or Gump. I voted for Shawshank.

Reactions: NI hawk
Bullets Over Broadway? I honestly don't remember that one. Pulp Fiction was good, but it wasn't on the same plane as Shawshank or Gump. I voted for Shawshank.
I'm between Pulp and Shawshank. Gump hasn't aged well for me. I'm guessing the younger crowd will lean more towards Pulp
While graybreads would prefer Gump. Probably lots of overlap between the two groups on Shawshank.

Shawshank Redemption is probably the closest I've seen a movie come to a Stephen King book.
Casting Morgan Freeman made Red's nickname odd, but they rolled with it and it didn't change the story.
Really the big difference was the typical Stephen King ending where the conclusion is left to the reader (Red finishes the story as a diary at the border in a motel, so no Hollywood ending walking down the beach. He knows the key was gone, so Red thinks he's there, but no smile and wave. That's not really Stephen King).

That having been said, the timeline management in Pulp Fiction was so novel and well done, it really set that movie apart from its peers to me.

That's my vote.

Fair to say this was one of the better years in the modern era. Maybe the best.
Damn that's tough. Throwing in Dumb and Dumber, I'd go with Shawshank 26, dumb and dumber 25, Pulp 25, Forrest 24, and bullets 0.

1991 is up there as well with Goodfellas and Dances with Wolves, but for 94 it's Pulp Fiction imo. That movie to this day is still fantastic and the originality of it at the time was unmatched. Shawshank is a great movie and story, but Pulp Fiction was better.

Strange that none of those movies were December releases.

Few other good movies that year:
Quiz Show
The Professional
Ed Wood
Dumb and Dumber

December Releases that may have expected the award when scheduling but couldn't match the behemoths in the poll.
Little Women
Nell (lol!)
Immortal Beloved
Legends of the Fall
Cobb
Nobody's Fool

Reactions: SIXERS24
1991 is up there as well with Goodfellas and Dances with Wolves, but for 94 it's Pulp Fiction imo. That movie to this day is still fantastic and the originality of it at the time was unmatched. Shawshank is a great movie and story, but Pulp Fiction was better.

I agree about Pulp Fiction. One of the more memorable movie experiences. But Shawshank... damn. Both would have won most other years.

Reactions: Kakaw83
Shawshank Redemption is probably the closest I've seen a movie come to a Stephen King book.
Casting Morgan Freeman made Red's nickname odd, but they rolled with it and it didn't change the story.
Really the big difference was the typical Stephen King ending where the conclusion is left to the reader (Red finishes the story as a diary at the border in a motel, so no Hollywood ending walking down the beach. He knows the key was gone, so Red thinks he's there, but no smile and wave. That's not really Stephen King).

That having been said, the timeline management in Pulp Fiction was so novel and well done, it really set that movie apart from its peers to me.

That's my vote.
The ending was the weakest part of the film. Fun, but childish in comparison with the rest of the flick.

One of my all-time favorites. 1994 is the best year for movies.

I'd go:

Shawshank (best movie ever)
Leon
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
I'm between Shawshank and Pulp.
Shawshank is beautifully made and hits every note amazingly.
While Pulp is completely unconventional you're not sure what's going to happen next. The nonlinear story telling doesn't matter. Plot who cares let's do some cool shit.

Quiz Show
The Professional
Ed Wood
Dumb and Dumber

December Releases that may have expected the award when scheduling but couldn't match the behemoths in the poll.
Little Women
Nell (lol!)
Immortal Beloved
Legends of the Fall
Cobb
Nobody's Fool
The folks who green lit Nell should be shot .

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I agree about Pulp Fiction. One of the more memorable movie experiences. But Shawshank... damn. Both would have won most other years.
And neither of them probably came close to Gump's vote total. It was a movie that captured pop culture. Idk if Shawshank would have won in other years. It's one of those movies that has grown as time has gone by. Miramax had quiete the award hype machine and Shawshank just didn't wow u on first viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterHawk

Quiz Show
The Professional
Ed Wood
Dumb and Dumber

Little Women
Nell (lol!)
Immortal Beloved
Legends of the Fall
Cobb
Nobody's Fool

Legends of the Fall is an outstanding movie

I'm between Shawshank and Pulp.
Shawshank is beautifully made and hits every note amazingly.
While Pulp is completely unconventional you're not sure what's going to happen next. The nonlinear story telling doesn't matter. Plot who cares let's do some cool shit.
Amazing movie. Definitely not a slight against Pulp, i just love Leon, specifically for Oldman's performance. Pulp is definitely an all-timer

Reactions: tumorboy
1994 ranking
Shawshank
Dumb and Dumber
Pulp Fiction
True Lies
The Professional
Gump
The Lion King
Quiz Show

And neither of them probably came close to Gump's vote total. It was a movie that captured pop culture. Idk if Shawshank would have won in other years. It's one of those movies that has grown as time has gone by. Miramax had quiete the award hype machine and Shawshank just didn't wow u on first viewing.

Forrest Gump isn’t a good movie.

6BWzh3o.gif

In 1994 Schindler’s list won best picture
Schindler's list came out in 93. So official it one the Oscar for the year of 1993. Ceremony was in 94 though. These movies came out in 94. And Oscar presentation happened in 95.

False. First time I watched, I watched it again immediately.

Only other movie I can remember doing that for was Kids, but I was drunk. And maybe high.

False. First time I watched, I watched it again immediately.

Only other movie I can remember doing that for was Kids, but I was drunk. And maybe high.
I saw it on VHS the first time. It just didn't catch my attention in the theaters. Of course I was in small town Iowa so u had to really break though to get to me.

Shawshank is great...but it’s just great. That’s it. “Best movie ever” posts are waaaaay over the top.

Pulp Fiction is the correct answer.
I'd love to agree and write off Shawshank because its everywhere and has been for a long time... but i disagree. The rewatchability is second to none.

Reactions: NI hawk
1994 ranking
Shawshank
Dumb and Dumber
Pulp Fiction
True Lies
The Professional
Gump
The Lion King
Quiz Show
All those movies in 94? My youngest LOVES the Lion King, LOVES it. True Lies is probably my favorite Arnold movie. I go...

Gump
Pulp
Shawshank
True Lies

The Professional. Not a doubt about it. And Gary Oldman should have won an Oscar for Best Actor. The fact that he wasn't even nominated is hard to believe. He's downright disturbing in that film.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT