Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 84 48.6%
  • Forrest Gump

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
Would love this comment if i could. My single favorite performance ever. EVVVVEEEERYONNNNNE!
Lots of times the best actor and actress nominations/wins are about honoring a career not a particular performance. He simply got squeezed out.

Lots of times the best actor and actress nominations/wins are about honoring a career not a particular performance. He simply got squeezed out.
His performances from True Romance to Leon... awesome. Two of my favorite characters ever

Reactions: JupiterHawk
His performances from True Romance to Leon... awesome. Two of my favorite characters ever
Loved him in True Romance. The Darkest Hour which he was good in reality was to honor his career. Oscar's are very elitist. I know shocking and view things as if u need to wait your turn.

Shawshank Redemption is probably the closest I've seen a movie come to a Stephen King book.
Casting Morgan Freeman made Red's nickname odd, but they rolled with it and it didn't change the story.
Really the big difference was the typical Stephen King ending where the conclusion is left to the reader (Red finishes the story as a diary at the border in a motel, so no Hollywood ending walking down the beach. He knows the key was gone, so Red thinks he's there, but no smile and wave. That's not really Stephen King).

That having been said, the timeline management in Pulp Fiction was so novel and well done, it really set that movie apart from its peers to me.

That's my vote.

I remember from his autobiography, that Red was Malcolm X’s nickname, due to the reddish tint to his hair.

I have never sat down to watch Shawshank start to finish.

Loved him in True Romance. The Darkest Hour which he was good in reality was to honor his career. Oscar's are very elitist. I know shocking and view things as if u need to wait your turn.

Oldmam probably deserves a new thread but damn if he isn’t the best actor out there

Reactions: Bro D
Fair to say this was one of the better years in the modern era. Maybe the best.

images

I'm partial to Shawshank. Everything from the escape through the shit pipe during the storm to Red & Andy's reunion on the Mexican beach at the end was magical.

To me, Shawshank gets better each time I see it, just like Wayne/Ford's "The Searchers".

Reactions: jasonrann
Strange that none of those movies were December releases.

Few other good movies that year:
Quiz Show
The Professional
Ed Wood
Dumb and Dumber

December Releases that may have expected the award when scheduling but couldn't match the behemoths in the poll.
Little Women
Nell (lol!)
Immortal Beloved
Legends of the Fall
Cobb
Nobody's Fool
Gary Oldman was perfect as Beethoven in 'Immortal Beloved' and the music was beyond compare.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Strange that none of those movies were December releases.

Few other good movies that year:
Quiz Show
The Professional
Ed Wood
Dumb and Dumber

December Releases that may have expected the award when scheduling but couldn't match the behemoths in the poll.
Little Women
Nell (lol!)
Immortal Beloved
Legends of the Fall
Cobb
Nobody's Fool
I weep when I compare these 1994 movies to what is put out there in recent years.

Great year for movies. I like Pulp Fiction and Shawshank, but Quiz Show is my favorite of these, and one of my favorite movies.

1991 is up there as well with Goodfellas and Dances with Wolves, but for 94 it's Pulp Fiction imo. That movie to this day is still fantastic and the originality of it at the time was unmatched. Shawshank is a great movie and story, but Pulp Fiction was better.

I voted Pulp Fiction, but Shawshank was close. I first went to Pulp Fiction by myself as the fiancé (no pic) didn't want to see it. After enjoying it immensely, I made it my personal crusade to get others to go so I could witness their reactions during various scenes. I saw it in the theater eight times.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I'm partial to Shawshank. Everything from the escape through the shit pipe during the storm to Red & Andy's reunion on the Mexican beach at the end was magical.

To me, Shawshank gets better each time I see it, just like Wayne/Ford's "The Searchers".
I just do not understand the infatuation with "Shawshank." Decent movie. Period.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I voted Pulp Fiction but Shawshank was very close.

The real question is how could my wife and I take our then 12 year old daughter to see Pulp Fiction. I don't follow the movies but my wife does and whatever made her think that was good we'll never know.

Several times I looked at my wife and daughter to see if they had any reaction, but there was none. Later in the car, I ask my daughter if she had any thing she wanted to talk about. She did, on the top of her mind was putting the movie scenes into the correct order. I knew then and there that she could handle a lot more than what I had given her credit for.

I really, really liked Shawshank Redemption but when I walked out of the theater after Forrest Gump, I thought to myself; that is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I grew up in that same time era and the sound track really connected with me, so that may have something to do with it.

I also saw Pulp Fiction and can't say I was all that impressed with it.

What was the other one again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT