ADVERTISEMENT

20+ Win Seasons, back then vs more recently

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017
Over the last 20 years, representing three different coaches, Iowa has had 8 20+ win seasons (5 of them under Fran) ...this does not compare very well at all to the previous 20 years.

Over that previous 20 years, representing three different coaches, Iowa had 16 20+ win seasons (10 of them under TD, including a 30 win season) ...and this is what most of us consider the "glory days" of Hawkeye mens basketball.

Let's hope the next 20 years bring us 14+ 20 wins seasons, and put the program back onto a consistent top 25-30 trajectory that it has been historically.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Over the last 20 years, representing three different coaches, Iowa has had 8 20+ win seasons (5 of them under Fran) ...this does not compare very well at all to the previous 20 years.

Over that previous 20 years, representing three different coaches, Iowa had 16 20+ win seasons (10 of them under TD, including a 30 win season) ...and this is what most of us consider the "glory days" of Hawkeye mens basketball.

Let's hope the next 20 years bring us 14+ 20 wins seasons, and put the program back onto a consistent top 25-30 trajectory that it has been historically.

No, the glory days of Iowa Basketball were back to back Final Fours by Bucky O'Conner.

I think Fran will finish out his career at Iowa with 20+ win seasons. As in ALL of them... This next season may be a challenge without JBo, and potentially our toughest schedule in years. But it can be done. I think with a healthy JBo we get to 20+ wins for certain. I'm banking/betting on his return.

The team is adding some good players. Although Baer, Moss & Cook will be missed. We are adding Jack Nunge, CJF, Joe T, Bakari, PMac & Pemsl.

Our front court was still going to be solid, even without Nunge & Pemsl. Joe W, Garza & Kriener are players. Now it will have depth. PMac is a tweener at this point with the concerns on his weight. But he adds depth to our forwards.

Joe T, CJF & Bakari are three players I am very eager to see this fall. Moss is the only loss(assuming JBo comes back). So Fran has addressed the lack of depth in the backcourt. Let's hope the quality is all that and a bag of chips.

If Fran lands an above average guard and an above average big next year, we will have 20+ win seasons for the next 5 years. IMHO....

Go Hawks!
\

If you lived thru those days, god bless.

For the rest of us (probably the majority of the board) I’d bet the 80s/90s were the glory days.

I was a very young kid, but yes Bucky O'Conner was my introduction to Iowa Basketball, he and his wife were my parents best friends. Ralph Miller's team that went 14-0 in the B1G in 1969-1970 was perhaps our best team.ever. I loved Lute and Dr. Tom for sure. I'm just saying that a lot of great Hawkeye basketball happened before 1980. We have a storied history, and Fran has us back kind of in the middle of Iowa Basketball history. Not great but not bad.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Plus in the previous 20 year segment weren't we playing only 25 or so regular season games? I am pretty sure we play more now than back then.
I will add getting to the final four took only a few games, however winning the conference was a necessity in order to get into the tourney, However, the NIT which I believe was older than the NCAA tourney, was quite prominent and considered on a par with the NCAA until the NCAA expanded. In 1944 Utah lost in the NIT,was invited to the NCAA and won it. In 1950 CCNY won both the NIT and the NCAA, beating Bradley both times.

Last edited:
Plus in the previous 20 year segment weren't we playing only 25 or so regular season games? I am pretty sure we play more now than back then.

It’s not the number of games that’s different when comparing time frames. It’s the quality of non-con schedule that could be played back then to assist in getting to 20 wins. Iowa or anyone else could line up 12 patsies if it wanted to, go .500 in league play and get 20+ wins and be a lock for the tourney. Then along came the greater utilization of metrics to evaluate teams.

Remember the cream puff city ‘Hawkeye Challenge’ we used to host & play as an example? That’s not permitted now. As good as Dr Tom was, he got away with a lot of crappy non-cons that aided us back then, that probably would not work with today’s metrics.

1982: 26 regular season games
1987: 31 regular season games
1992: 28 regular season games
1997: 30 regular season games
I checked the last 20 years. We played 29 in 2003/4. Several 31 game years and one 38 and quite a few 34. So we now play maybe 5 games more a year.

The fewest games Iowa played under Olson, Raveling and Davis was 26, and that was Olson's 1st season. Even in other years when they made the tourney, it looks like they played at least 27-28 games (regular season).

The only seasons they didn't play at least 30 games under Dr Tom were the two losing seasons, they played 27 and 28 in those two. Keep in mind, they had 7 seasons under Dr Tom with 20 or more wins AND 10 or more losses.

The Hawks won 20 games in a season 15 times from 1980-2000. In 11 or those 15, they had 10+ losses. So it's not like they were going 25-5 every year. A 21-10 record was pretty normal.

The most regular season games you can play right now is 31. Even three years ago we still had just a 30 gamer mixed in there. Just depends on how many games are tied into your holiday tournament now. .You can either play 27 games plus a tournament, or 29 games with no tournament and scheduling all your own opponents. Some are just an 8 team, 3 game tourney like 2015, but others are 4 games (two on site games vs smaller schools, then a four team tourney like last year at MSG or this year for Vegas). In the 80s and 90s, "exempted" tournaments like Alaska or Hawaii didn't count against your scheduling dates, so they were basically extra, like the Kickoff and Pigskin Classics were in football then. Now it's standardized across the board.

20 win seasons really used to matter because that was basically automatically punching your NCAA tournament ticket if you got 20 in a major conference. Now there are a lot of 20 win teams that get left out, while several 18 and 19 win teams make it. Just doesn't seem to be be a significant bar anymore.

It’s not the number of games that’s different when comparing time frames. It’s the quality of non-con schedule that could be played back then to assist in getting to 20 wins. Iowa or anyone else could line up 12 patsies if it wanted to, go .500 in league play and get 20+ wins and be a lock for the tourney. Then along came the greater utilization of metrics to evaluate teams.

Remember the cream puff city ‘Hawkeye Challenge’ we used to host & play as an example? That’s not permitted now. As good as Dr Tom was, he got away with a lot of crappy non-cons that aided us back then, that probably would not work with today’s metrics.
George Raveling got criticized for his "soft" non conference scheduling as well.

Reactions: And1Hawk
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT