ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Softball

Despite his comment I am still hoping for a change. He can't tell the Gazette she's getting canned without going through the proper HR channels. Looper does seem like a nice person and she seems to care about her players. Nice doesn't get you wins though.

Can he fall on the sword and bring Blevins back?
I know Gayle well and she would not come back. She is doing very well coaching younger girls and doing lessons, and speaking engagements. No hassle, on her own time, makes better money and does not have to deal with the BS and recruiting. I am pretty sure Gayle is out of the question.

Reactions: 73chief and beahawk
I know Gayle well and she would not come back. She is doing very well coaching younger girls and doing lessons, and speaking engagements. No hassle, on her own time, makes better money and does not have to deal with the BS and recruiting. I am pretty sure Gayle is out of the question.

I'm happy she is in a good place. We'd travel to out of town tournaments and she would always come over and thank us for supporting the team and chit chat for a moment or two. Very charismatic.

On Sunday I took my daughter to see Iowa vs. Minnesota. Told her we had to leave on time to see the first pitch since Minnesota was going to jump on Iowa hard and fast. Also told her the game wouldn't get past five innings. End result: Minnesota 12, Iowa 0 in a five inning debacle. The program is in absolute shambles. A few observations.

From today's Gazette: “The learning curve is a little bit steeper,” Iowa Coach Marla Looper said about Iowa high school players. “I don’t think there’s worse talent or better talent at other places. It’s when we’re recruiting, what is it you need to replace, how much time do we have to do that, how quickly do you think that person you replace them with can develop?” My daughter noted Minnesota has twelve instate players on its roster and Iowa only three. Also this year, great Iowa high school talent is again flowing to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. The fallacy that Iowa high school talent is competitively at a disadvantage because of a steep learning curve should be grounds enough to fire Looper, let alone her 109 losses in the last three seasons.

Also from today's Gazette: “I don’t think anything’s gone wrong,” Looper said. “We didn’t catch some breaks early. We’ve continued to battle all year long. That’s the best thing. Our student-athletes, our girls here at Iowa, they don’t quit. They don’t understand that word. They don’t know that word. Sometimes we make mistakes. It’s a game of failure." Actually it's a game of success. Successful hitting, pitching, fielding and throwing. If you don't get that then you have no business coaching, let alone coaching Division I Big Ten Softball.

Title IX is about meritocracy not just women's athletics. 109 losses in three years and you don't get fired?? Treat the current Iowa players with some dignity and respect and get them a real coach who appreciates talent and success.

I found this article on allhawkeyes.com

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Given the current circumstances, forcing Gayle Blevins to retire as the Iowa softball coach was a huge and costly mistake.

Nobody ever has said on the record that Blevins was forced out after the 2010 season. But that is basically what happened until somebody can prove otherwise.

I’ve talked to enough people close to the situation to believe strongly that Blevins didn’t retire on her terms despite being one of the greatest coaches in the history of the Iowa Athletic Department.

In 23 seasons as head softball coach from 1988 to 2010, Blevins led Iowa to 16 NCAA Tournament appearances, four Women’s College World Series appearances, five Big Ten regular-season titles and two Big Ten Tournament titles.

Turn the calendar back to today and you’ll find the Iowa softball program in shambles under head coach Marla Looper.

The Hawkeyes were embarrassed on Senior Day on Sunday, losing to Minnesota 12-0 in five innings at Pearl Field.

Iowa finished Looper’s sixth season as head coach with records of 13-39 overall and 3-20 in the Big Ten. It was Iowa’s third consecutive losing season and the third season in a row in which the Hawkeyes have won fewer than 20 games.

Those are Todd Lickliter-like numbers and we know what happened to him after just three seasons as the Iowa men’s basketball coach.

The timing wouldn’t be ideal for Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta to relieve Looper of her coaching duties, with Barta being accused in a lawsuit of unfairly removing female coaches and top women’s administrators.

But from a performance standpoint, Barta would be justified in making a change. He has given Looper six years to prove herself, but with little return on the investment.

The program wasn’t elite when Looper replaced Blevins after the 2010 season, but the foundation was solid. Now the program is hardly even competitive as evidenced by the Senior Day beat-down on Sunday.

Making matters worse is the disconnect that seems to exist with in-state recruiting. Looper only had three Iowa natives on this year’s roster.

Losing is bad enough. But losing with players who have no connection to the state of Iowa is even worse from a morale standpoint. It also is way more expensive paying all that out-of-state tuition.

Looper came to Iowa after serving as an assistant coach at Texas for 11 seasons from 2000 to 2010. She helped lead the Longhorns to nine NCAA Tournament appearances and three World Series appearances.

Looper also was an assistant at the University of Kansas from 1996-99, where she served as recruiting coordinator and pitcher/catcher coach. She helped the Jayhawks to the NCAA Tournament in 1997 and 1999.

Prior to her stint in Lawrence, Looper was a pitcher/catcher coach at Iowa State from 1995-96.

As a player, Looper was a star pitcher at Florida State, earning All-America honors in 1993.

It made sense why Barta hired her six years ago.

Looper had spent nearly two decades as an assistant coach for three different Division I programs. Combine her experience with her success as a pitcher and Looper’s portfolio was packed with achievements when Barta hired her.

From all accounts, Looper is a quality person. Not once have I heard anybody question her character or her intentions.

It just hasn’t worked from a wins-and-losses standpoint, which ultimately determines the fate of a head coach.

Assuming Barta makes a change, two candidates might be former Hawkeye assistant Shane Bouman, who is the head softball coach at Indiana State, and Solon coach Jim White.

To me, they both are worthy candidates to the point of being obvious candidates.

Bouman led Indiana State to its first ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2015 and just finished his fourth season as head coach for the Missouri Valley Conference school. He also led the Sycamores to their first winning season in 22 years in 2014.

Bouman served as Iowa’s pitching coach for three seasons under Blevins from 2008-10. Iowa compiled a 109-59 record during that time and twice qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

White, meanwhile, is one of the most successful high school softball coaches in state history. He led Solon to the Class 3A state title last July, has won seven state titles overall and has over 900 career victories.

White built Clear Creek Amana into a softball dynasty before taking the Solon job, where he is now building another powerhouse.

The naysayers will say it’s too risky to hire a high school coach, even one as successful as White, because the jump in competition is more than he could handle.

Others will say that hiring a man would send the wrong message at a time when the athletic department is under a microscope.

My only hope if there is a coaching change in softball is that Barta hires the best candidate regardless of gender.

Ideally, you’d like for Barta to land a head coach from another successful power five program to show that Iowa is a destination job rather than a stepping stone.

But since Barta couldn’t do that six years ago when the program was in better shape, it’s unlikely that he could do it now.

One thing is certain, though.

The Iowa softball program has gone from being a Big Ten power to a conference cellar dweller in just six years.

It’s time to fix the problem.

Reactions: hawkaholic
Great article until s/he gets to possible replacements.

Looper 13-39 Iowa / Bouman 16-35 Indiana St. Really?!? Not to mention Bouman's involvement in Blevin's departure.

And no power five school should ever hire a freekin' high school coach for a head coach position in any sport! UI isn't a community college.

Assuming Looper is let go, there is no way in Hell that Gary can risk hiring a man to coach Iowa softball, with the circumstances the way they currently are here.

Great article until s/he gets to possible replacements.

Looper 13-39 Iowa / Bouman 16-35 Indiana St. Really?!? Not to mention Bouman's involvement in Blevin's departure.

And no power five school should ever hire a freekin' high school coach for a head coach position in any sport! UI isn't a community college.
If a high school coach is out of the question because UI isn't a community college, how about a community college coach as a relacement, namely Joe Yegge at Kirkwood.

Reactions: Drmac22
I say Joe Yegge, he is local, he would recruit and he Knows Iowa Girls. Is a Winner.. other then not being a Women, which I think Iowa wants to stick with. He is a Good Choice

I suspect there are a lot of womens sports coaches (particularly the established ones that stand the best chance at turning the SB program around) who would not take a job at Iowa due to the turmoil during the Barta years. So, following the expiration of Looper's contract in 2018, it will be a choice of past-their-prime career assistants, or eager but unproven-at-this-level youngsters.

OTOH, if you were to sit down with Barta over a few drinks, he'd probably tell you he sees his primary job as taking care of FB and MBB. He'd probably also tell you he expects his coaches to be in control of player and parent relationships, and if a problem does end up in his lap, the coach should prepared for a solution that no one likes.

Yes Looper is terrible. But don't be too tough on her. The sorry state of the program rests completely on Barta's shoulders. No one would take the head coaching job after the way he treated Blevins. Looper took the job when no one would and I'm sure she's trying the best she can.

I agree Looper's going no where until after next year at the earliest. Not only wouldn't Barta fire her given the ongoing investigation, he has to know replacing her with a decent coach would be impossible. Barta has to realize no woman in her right mind would want the job. And (again given the civil rights investigation) I really don't think Barta is going to hire the first-ever male Big Ten softball head coach.
Wait, there has never been a male women's softball coach in the Big Ten? Well then with all the Civil Rights bullshit issues this would be a perfect time for it. Men have obviously been discriminated against long enough in b1g softball

Assuming Looper is let go, there is no way in Hell that Gary can risk hiring a man to coach Iowa softball, with the circumstances the way they currently are here.
Imagine changing the word from man to woman in a sentence like that. There would be riots and leftist loons protesting for years. Crazy

Reactions: terrehawk
After watching regional games this past weekend, the women have a long way to go. There were teams whose worst hitter had a higher average than Iowa's best.

Unlike prior years where Coach Looper cost the team wins through poor coaching decisions and incompetence, the obvious problem this year was a lack of talent. I don't know if an excellent coach could have produced many more wins. They were unable to compete.

I never missed a home game for about 7 years. Now, I look for excuses not to go. Too bad, because women's softball (men's too) is a passion of mine. Drake was a fun team to watch this year. Enthusiasm abounded.

I have watched Coach and think she is a fine woman with character. But, she has shown numerous times that she was over her head in this job and, I believe, lacks a basic game time coaching knowledge.

I'll buy season tickets again next year, but something needs to change.

I admire Drake also, I watched them in the MVC tournament via ESPN3. They seem to have gotten more out of their weight room time than the Hawks have, and they play with a focus the Hawks seldom match. They return almost everyone next season, and just need a good strong #2 pitcher. However they ran into a Wichita State team whose entire lineup bats over .300 for the season. We played DU when we'd found a little pop in our bats, and they were in a bit of a mini-slump.

UNI is also fun to watch, and on a given day can really score but were inconsistent this season. They have a couple of big graduation losses to replace.

I admire Drake also, I watched them in the MVC tournament via ESPN3. They seem to have gotten more out of their weight room time than the Hawks have, and they play with a focus the Hawks seldom match. They return almost everyone next season, and just need a good strong #2 pitcher. However they ran into a Wichita State team whose entire lineup bats over .300 for the season. We played DU when we'd found a little pop in our bats, and they were in a bit of a mini-slump.

UNI is also fun to watch, and on a given day can really score but were inconsistent this season. They have a couple of big graduation losses to replace.
I admire Missouri and Ehren Earlywine. When they played Iowa here in a doubleheader it was like watching the US National team play a 12U team.

Reactions: 73chief
Yep, and he keeps coming up to Iowa and grabbing the top players, sort of like Roy Williams does in MBB.

Reactions: Drmac22
"I admire Missouri and Ehren Earlywine. When they played Iowa here in a doubleheader it was like watching the US National team play a 12U team."

Although Earlywine is in some soup at Missouri. I doubt he would want to come to Iowa no matter what the investigation shows. I think he would be sick of the PC culture surrounding women's athletics and, with the recent article of Iowa hiring men to replace women, Barta would be hard pressed to hire another female coach.

Reactions: terrehawk
"Row55, post: 2865837, member: 10320"]We played DU when we'd found a little pop in our bats, and they were in a bit of a mini-slump.

Plus Drake choked in the 8th with a 3 run lead. I remember the Drake 2nd baseman had an error that would have ended the game.

"I admire Missouri and Ehren Earlywine. When they played Iowa here in a doubleheader it was like watching the US National team play a 12U team."

Although Earlywine is in some soup at Missouri. I doubt he would want to come to Iowa no matter what the investigation shows. I think he would be sick of the PC culture surrounding women's athletics and, with the recent article of Iowa hiring men to replace women, Barta would be hard pressed to hire another female coach.
Earlywine is a jerk - http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...ange-exposed-missouri-missouri-state-softball

Earleywine: 10 years @ Mizzou; 453 wins; 152 losses; winning percentage of .749. Three-time conference coach of the year. Seven-straight NCAA Regional titles. Mizzou was one of only three schools in the country from 2008-13 to win six-straight regional titles, joined by Arizona State and Florida. NCAA Super Regional this weekend at Michigan.

Looper: 6 years @ Iowa; 132 wins; 183 losses; 1 tie; winning percentage of .419. First three years did o.k. with Gayle Blevins recruits. 109 losses in last 3 years with her recruits. One way ticket to Palookaville this weekend.

Earleywine is gruff and old school, but a proven winner, as was Tracey Griesbaum. Griesbaum got fired, and Earley may get fired within the month, for the exact same reason. Having a couple of prima donna alleged players on the roster whose blowhard moms and dads are shocked, absolutely shocked, that their little snowflakes are expected to play hurt (not injured), show up early, stay late, do what they're told, and take a little initiative.

Earleywine is gruff and old school, but a proven winner, as was Tracey Griesbaum. Griesbaum got fired, and Earley may get fired within the month, for the exact same reason. Having a couple of prima donna alleged players on the roster whose blowhard moms and dads are shocked, absolutely shocked, that their little snowflakes are expected to play hurt (not injured), show up early, stay late, do what they're told, and take a little initiative.

That's a part of it. But he's also in trouble for possible recruiting violations and just being a general ass to opposing teams/coaches.

That's a part of it. But he's also in trouble for possible recruiting violations and just being a general ass to opposing teams/coaches.
Earleywine has never learned that there are very, very, very few instances in life where you can't wait until tomorrow to tell someone to go to hell.

Well, Looper will never be accused of recruiting violations. Who would turn her in for recruiting D3 caliber players?

White has a good track record as a quality recruiter, but not sure you take a HS coach at Div 1. (haha) But,at least in the past, the hirings and firings of the second tier sports fell on the SWA after the departure of Dr. Grant. I was SHOCKED they hired a male volleyball coach in Shymanski, but, maybe Barta will take this much more serious than in the past, though as someone stated, firing a female coach right now, whether right or wrong, just doesn't look good.

The team has some major injuries that have affected the starting lineup.
Iowa needs to go after Taylor Nearad from KCC, talk about a player they should have offered... iowa has done a poor job of recruiting the state. Another good one is heading to Wiscy after this year.

Missouri is 10 times a better job than Iowa, anyway.

SEC (#2 conference in the country after the Pac-12, maybe even #1), way better weather in the spring, far better in-state recruiting base (approx twice the state population as Iowa), and much more recent tradition and success.

Have not heard that Fran's been getting into email feuds or letting his players spit sunflower seeds on another teams court.

Last edited:
Have not heard that Fran's been getting into email feuds or letting his players spit sunflower seeds on another teams court.

Yeah, he just throws chairs and shoves referees.

But sunflower seed spitting sounds WAAAAAAAAAY worse.

I mean, Hitler wouldn't even do that. How can a monster like that sleep at night?

Yeah, I know. Here's the story as I recall reading about it (there was a thread about this on the Ultimate College Softball board several months ago). Missouri State has FieldTurf for SB like Banks Field does here, so it's tougher to get rid of sunflower hulls. They have signs in the dugouts says "No Sunflower Seeds". The Missouri St coach emailed Earlywine to complain after Missouri played there and there were sunflower hulls everywhere. Earlywine's reply was less than gracious, the MO ST coach then made a comment about recruiting improprieties, and it all went downhill from there. Earlywine got in trouble with the National Fast Pitch Coaches Assn, which is not the same as being in trouble with the NCAA.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article30965193.html[url]

Yeah, he just throws chairs and shoves referees.

But sunflower seed spitting sounds WAAAAAAAAAY worse.

I mean, Hitler wouldn't even do that. How can a monster like that sleep at night?

I'm not recalling the incidents of shoving referees, pretty sure that never happened. The chair thing was one time, and he was reprimanded for it. Yeah, he can be blustery on court, just like lots of other coaches. AFAIK, there have been no off-court behavioral issues with Fran, unlike Earlywine.

Reactions: LinusPF
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT